Sim crossing and passenger ejection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have seems to notice a increase in passenger ejection on sim crosses of late - other than the usualy lower scripts etc anything else that will help prevent that? This is sailing (blake sea area) and even motoring at like 3 knots on a simple sim cross the passenger often gets ejected. The passenger ejects seemed to be mostly a thing of the past (least in lower speed crossing) maybe its just me, but wonder if anybody has noticed a increase in this...

It seems to me to be a day by day crossing by crossing phenomena.  Yesterday I tried a slow sail (Bandit 1F) with passenger in the empty sims to the  west of the houseboats to the south of Belli, no issues at all, and then turning south-east got dumped at every crossing - the passenger wasn't.   I am giving up sailing now, as I gave up flying.  SL is just not able to sustain it any more for me.  I suspect it is because of my long latency, but fast, connection.  Maybe it'll improve when the move Amazon's servers happens.  Probably not.

My wife and I were out at Blake, for the better part of the evening last night. We took her new blimp starting out at the Race Rock Rez Zone and headed towards Honah Lee AP.  To put it shortly, we covered a heap of ground, in several  hours, including the eastern side of Nautilus, which has been notorious for bad or off crossings and didn't see one major issue beyond the cam needing to be adjusted (reset), as well as each of us needing to resit due to hovering over our seats. (Happened once to each of us). I've also sailed out there, again starting at the Race Rock Rez Zone, several times this week, (In a 22 LTE and boating in a 170) and about the worst I've seen is a few slow or lagging crossings. 

The only (old) advice I can possibly give is to "dull" down your avi as much as you can including having on as few huds as possible (drop your complexity etc). I have an ancient A/O, one other small low script hud, when boating. When sailing, I only have on the latest wind compass and the boat hud.   Cut your draw distance back (mine is at 320  which is probably more then needed)  and avoid corner crossings, and take off (if you have a lot) any extra or heavy  attachments on your avi. 

For me, my connection is slow compared to many. I'm on wireless which has it's "moments" as us wireless users know, and my avi is low script, and I've been able to get in a good bit of sailing this week, even some driving and as mentioned flying without too many major issues. Now, with that said, not every place has been spotless or smooth. Mowry has been, as noted above, day to day, Bellisaria's east passage has been trying and impassable at times, but Eden has been good, as with the bay out in front of our shop in Badger, and again I've been able to start at Race Rock and make it up past Bullring Bay (by way of the area behind Honah Lee, to area behind Dutch Harbor so forth) several times. So again try dialing back the details, drop as many scripts and huds as possible, and hopefully that will help. 😉  

Edit:

One more thing that can be tried, which I tend to do more now both sailing and flying, is to go into first person view aka mouse look. That seems to help make the crossings a touch smoother. 

Edited by Vicious Hollow

I vacillated a bit before posting this in case it came across as a moan.  It's not but it DOES have a lot of relevance to current SL conditions.  My partner and I sail qite a bit both East and West of Nautilus and around that island (or is it a continent, I have never been sure).

What stikes me is that region crossings are now a lot worse that they were during good periods of the past.  I would cite the amount of data needed to be transferred from region to region.  That is why the oft-repeated advice to lower complexity and script load is effective....mostly.

My contention is that THAT really ought to have been sorted by now.  Region servers are far faster than they were in 2012 so much more data should be transferrable in a timely manner.  The sad fact is that it isn't.  LL have given servers far more to do now than they used to have to process and I guess the processing power is sucked up by these things...you have only to enter a region with even a modest amount of building to notice a substantial degradation in crossing performance.  Does this really indicate that servers simply have too much to do, or am I barking up the wrong tree?  And if I am on the right tack (not a typo but a nautical pun) what is to be done about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jackson. A friend and I have been dumped at sim crossings more often too. She has several boats, small and large, and they all get dumped. The only things that help seem to be 1) lowering avatar complexity, 2) lowering avatar scripts, 3) slowing boat to almost a crawl when crossing, 4) crossing only between two sims at a time (so avoid sim corners, where it becomes possible to cross four sims), and 5) leaving graphics on lowest possible setting until in a place you want to photograph - only then bump up the graphics.

It may get better in "the cloud". See this article. It's a long-standing problem, but after years, progress is being made. There is a big test ocean where region crossing failures are rare. You can try this now, although getting ready is something of a pain.

First, you can get an SL account on Aditi, the beta grid. Aditi is a mini test version of Second Life. It has copies of 100 to 200 SL regions, and is used for testing and creator work. Anyone with an SL account can get an beta grid account. It's free, but you have to file a support ticket to get an account, and that can take a while to process.

Once you can log into the beta grid, you should find a copy of your inventory from the main grid. So you can rez your boats. (There's a one-way connection; changes you make on the beta grid don't affect the main grid at all.)

Parts of the beta grid, including a copy of most of the Blake Sea areas, are now running in "the cloud". They're on newer and faster server computers rented from Amazon Web Services. The rest of Second Life runs in a Linden Lab data center in Arizona, which will be phased out once the Amazon Web Services version works. In "the cloud", region crossings work better.

So, if you do all this stuff, you can try your boat in the test version of the Blake Sea. Please report back in the article linked above how it works out. There are Lindens reading that.

So far, it appears that straight region crossings on these test sims very rarely fail. Hitting a region corner can still cause trouble.

We went to the 'new' Blakes Sea (not Beta, the main grid) now that it has the latest updates.  Even two-up in a huge ship with complex scripts, we could not make it die at region crossings.  Okay, I got dumped out of SL once, but that happens quite regularly without crossing a region boundary.  We tried a number of different ships and boats, all the region crossings manifested as just a little stutter-step.

I would say that things are looking up for sailing and flying, and the AWS move will be a positive for my experience.

(and I am grateful to  @animats for the pressure he puts on LL about this)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

We went to the 'new' Blakes Sea (not Beta, the main grid) now that it has the latest updates.  Even two-up in a huge ship with complex scripts, we could not make it die at region crossings. 

I tried zipping around the Blake Sea in my little speedboat, avoiding region corners, and had a fail on the main grid within 5 minutes.

Blake Sea on the main grid is running "Second Life Server 2020-07-31T15:02:15.545966"

Blake Sea on the beta grid is running "Second Life Server 2020-08-08.546452"

1 hour ago, animats said:

I tried zipping around the Blake Sea in my little speedboat, avoiding region corners, and had a fail on the main grid within 5 minutes.

Blake Sea on the main grid is running "Second Life Server 2020-07-31T15:02:15.545966"

Blake Sea on the beta grid is running "Second Life Server 2020-08-08.546452"

It still is miles better than what we had before.  Lets get that new "Second Life Server 2020-08-08.546452" 'soon(tm)'.

I have had mixed experience sailing and flying in Agni. In general it has been better than 2 months ago. I have sailed for hours with no more than the 2 to 7 second delay at crossing. That is with a Bandit 55, ACI 90 + 3+/-MB of personal scripts.

I often sail in Tuesday's Topless Cruise. This last Tuesday I was crashing. It was a week without main region restarts. The week before, a restart week, I sailed the course with only one crash.

Two weeks ago I flew in Eden-Fruit Islands making 91 crossings without a problem. That was with a Shergood copter, my mesh avatar and 3+/-MB of worn scripts.

It appears people are having different experiences.

I was curious how the Aditi cloud regions compared. IMPRESSIVE. You can see the video I made playing with a Bandit 380R here: http://blog.nalates.net/2020/08/06/second-life-region-crossings-2020-whats-coming/

From todays UG 8/11...

[12:10] Simon Linden: the better region crossing code was rolled today and with tomorrow's update it will be on the full grid.   It's NOT moving simulators into the cloud, but was discovered with cloud work ... if you think old region crossings were bad, the ones between our SL servers and the cloud were much worse.   Fortunately it clearly pointed out a problem, and the fix turned out to be even better than what we had previously

Crossings were on the order 0.2 to 0.5 seconds.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added Simon quote
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

From todays UG 8/11...

[12:10] Simon Linden: the better region crossing code was rolled today and with tomorrow's update it will be on the full grid.   It's NOT moving simulators into the cloud, but was discovered with cloud work ... if you think old region crossings were bad, the ones between our SL servers and the cloud were much worse.   Fortunately it clearly pointed out a problem, and the fix turned out to be even better than what we had previously

Crossings were on the order 0.2 to 0.5 seconds.

oooh! i like

have been having another go at vehicles in this last week on the main grid

my most distance travelled in one journey so far is 24.8kms (as the crow flies)

in 5 journeys,  100s of region crossings,  the end came 3 times with region crossing fails, and 2 times killed by a roadside zero time orb when I lagged off the public road due to lots of resident build stuff on the region

so altogether pretty good compared to what it was a few years ago, region crossing fail wise

with these announced changes coming to the main grid then can only get better

Edited by Mollymews
one journey

I'm encouraged. I look forward to seeing how well that works on the main grid. It looks pretty good on the AWS part of Aditi.

The biggest remaining bug is region corners. Region crossing needs to be interlocked so that when a vehicle with passengers changes region, the vehicle cannot start a second region crossing until all the avatars have caught up.

Mainland becomes more useful if you can travel it.

• Like 1

I have to say "WOW! what a difference!" I started Race Rock and made it up and through Bullring Bay without so much as a blink. I did run into being tossed out of my boat and into never never land at the Meidland crossing ( http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Meidland/126/21/285 ) prior to McRitchie ( http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/McRitchie/123/39/28)  ...could it be that that area hasn't been restarted yet? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.