Memories of Arcades Past

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making a Gopi style thread here! I know we residents are quite a diverse set of individuals in both age, sex and country. I was wondering if any of you used to go to arcades when you were younger when arcades were an actual thing. What was your experience like? When did you stop going or did you never stop? Do you think that your arcade playing self would have ever imagined they'd be in a virtual world like SL in the future?

• Like 5

Oddly, I was thinking of this the other day. XD I love arcades. They are so fun. I wish we still had those in real life where I am.

I haven't been to one since I was a kid. But every time I went I was with friends and my relatives and we all had a good time.

I haven't been to an arcade yet on SecondLife. I should try that out. :)

What was your experience like?

• Like 2

I've been to arcades when I was younger (and occasionally, even now). I played games such as fighting and racing video games and games where you can win tickets for prizes. They were a good way to pass the time but the costs to play them add up, though. Money was one of the reasons I don't play them that much anymore.

I never imagined something like SL before it was a thing. Maybe vaguely, but it's quite a unique concept!

I'm honored to have a "genre" of threads named after me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'm making a Gopi style thread here! I know we residents are quite a diverse set of individuals in both age, sex and country. I was wondering if any of you used to go to arcades when you were younger when arcades were an actual thing. What was your experience like? When did you stop going or did you never stop? Do you think that your arcade playing self would have ever imagined they'd be in a virtual world like SL in the future?

You can find playable arcade games still in Second Life if you know where to look. 

I was late to find out about the joys of Space Invaders etc., and my favourite was always Pac Man. I sometimes play Sonic the Hedgehog on my TV with a very cheap and cheerful thing I bought for 89p as part of a pallete of returned stock to Argos the other year. It also has other games on it. It gives me headache, possibly because I'm older and the sounds and visuals are not fantastic, and neither is my eyesight even with glasses! 

My arcade playing self would NEVER have imagined anything like Second Life. 

I currently enjoy playing Pico-Line - a skills game - in arcades that still are to be found in Second Life. And occasionally Shrooms, which is easy peasy but fun. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I've been to arcades when I was younger (and occasionally, even now). I played games such as fighting and racing video games and games where you can win tickets for prizes. They were a good way to pass the time but the costs to play them add up, though. Money was one of the reasons I don't play them that much anymore.

I never imagined something like SL before it was a thing. Maybe vaguely, but it's quite a unique concept!

I'm honored to have a "genre" of threads named after me!

When I worked on Butlins holiday camps, I remember the tickets that were given out in arcades, exchanged for prizes. Parents must have spent a fortune, especially if it was a rainy week/fortnight. For some reason, even though people are only going to get wet in the sea or the swimming pools, they don't seem to like to go swimming when it rains! Go figure!!

• Like 1

I love arcades too, the atmosphere is amazing. Sadly, all the real ones died and faded away.

There are two great ones that I know of in SL that aren't gambling.

One is at Flotsam Beach, the same place as the 7seas fishing game.

The other is at Palmwood, as Joysticks. It's a furry sim but everyone is quite welcome.

I believe Madpea might have an arcade too, but don't quote me on that.

As for worlds like SL - yes. I've been dreaming of various virtual worlds since childhood. 

• Like 2

I used to go to arcades when i was a teen until had my first kid hehe and then she got into arcades but unfortunately they took all the arcades away from my area none in the movie theaters people have their own video consoles now that's when arcades here began to die.. 

I went to arcades as a teen and remember when games were just a quarter. I was very bad at nearly all games like Space Invaders, PacMan, Street Fighter, etc. I liked games where you could walk around and avoid combat like Golden Axe. I ran away and let the other players fight and die. Most of the time I played with friends or family. In college, I did look for arcades but they were getting expensive and my interest completely died. I had zero thoughts on the possibility of virtual worlds back then. How strange SL would have seemed back then.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.