Confirmed paypal account but second life stills denying my payment

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi, as I said before I got a prepaid credit card and I couldn't make payments before but today I got my paypal account confirmed and when I tried to do a payment on second life it stills giving "payment charging fail", what now? second life really is getting me into stress, I play this game for years and it never changes

Edited by Lina Hallard
errors
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lina Hallard said:

hi, as I said before I got a prepaid credit card and I couldn't make payments before but today I got my paypal account confirmed and when I tried to do a payment on second life it stills giving "payment charging fail", what now? second life really is getting me into stress, I play this game for years and it never changes

Sometimes with PayPayl, you need to pre-fund it, so you could try that - i.e. add money directly to PayPal from your funding source.  There are also limits on both sides, fairly small on the LL side when you first start doing transactions. I don't remember where in PayPal to check those, but you might want to poke around the site to check on that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes with PayPayl, you need to pre-fund it, so you could try that - i.e. add money directly to PayPal from your funding source.  There are also limits on both sides, fairly small on the LL side when you first start doing transactions. I don't remember where in PayPal to check those, but you might want to poke around the site to check on that.

Alright, I thought second life use to deny paypal fund, but I'll try it thank you 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lina Hallard said:

Alright, I thought second life use to deny paypal fund, but I'll try it thank you 🙂

If you can't figure it out, LL Billing might be able to help you:

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131008-billing-support

Please note that phone support is for billing issues only.  If you're having technical issues, please contact our technical support team.    
Billing support phone numbers
Toll-Free (US/Canada): 800.294.1067
Long-Distance: 703.286.6277
Our Billing team is available from 9am to 6pm EST(6am to 3pm PST), Monday through Friday.

• Like 3

1. Linden Lab (not Second Life) will accept payments made from a PayPal account balance
    1. That balance must be funded by either a standard Credit/Debit card or an actual Bank account
  2. Linden Lab has - over the years - severely limited which forms of pre-paid card they will take as a Payment Method and will not take them through PayPal either
  3. The above applies even with a 'confirmed' PayPal account
  • Like 2

Solar, do you have data that backs up your Point #2?  My understanding was that LL didn't care what backed up your PayPal account as long as there were actually funds IN the PayPal account and they got paid immediately.

• Like 1

From everything that I read, PayPal gets money from the funding source and sends it on to LL -- yet LL does not ever get told what the funding source is and thus LL has no clue if the funding source is a bank account or a regular credit card or a prepaid credit card.  LL only cares that the PayPal account is Verified and that they get the money right away, as they will not wait if the funding is not immediate.

@Lina Hallard - When you say that your PayPal account is 'confirmed', do you mean "Verified" --- i.e. you have a Bank Account tied to your PayPal account?  Also, is your prepaid card truly accepted by PayPal - i.e. it has a MasterCard, Discover, Visa, or American Express logo on it?  As far as I know, those are the only prepaid cards PayPal accepts.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

From everything that I read, PayPal gets money from the funding source and sends it on to LL -- yet LL does not ever get told what the funding source is and thus LL has no clue if the funding source is a bank account or a regular credit card or a prepaid credit card.  LL only cares that the PayPal account is Verified and that they get the money right away, as they will not wait if the funding is not immediate.

@Lina Hallard - When you say that your PayPal account is 'confirmed', do you mean "Verified" --- i.e. you have a Bank Account tied to your PayPal account?  Also, is your prepaid card truly accepted by PayPal - i.e. it has a MasterCard, Discover, Visa, or American Express logo on it?  As far as I know, those are the only prepaid cards PayPal accepts.

yes, I have my bank account confirmed, and my paypal is verified, also if my card could get into paypal it means that it's allowed I will try to pay with funds

Edited by Lina Hallard
errors
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Solar, do you have data that backs up your Point #2?  My understanding was that LL didn't care what backed up your PayPal account as long as there were actually funds IN the PayPal account and they got paid immediately.

Look through the Forums - there's the data. No, I'm not going to go digging and if I'm wrong or people misreported it, so be it.

ETA: And yes, in the account. In the balance. You still have to set up a backup funding method for PayPal to use if your Balance is empty. Fun fact on that: I've personally had payments done this way, rejected by varied sites (including the Google Play Store mind you) despite having the funds available through that backup method. The payment goes through if the backup method is changed so either there's an issue with the way PayPal handles it or that Backup is exposed in some way/some information is sent.

Again however, I am - in the above numbered points - only going by what has been seen in the Forum over the years. I have personally never had an issue with Linden lab taking my PayPal payments - money in the PayPal balance or not. Then again I have the backup funding source for my Linden lab payments set in such a way as to avoid that happening - whether it actually happens or not.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lina Hallard said:

paypal has to be directed to a credit card or to a bank account.  I believe... ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

You need to contact LL not the forums to solve this.

Yes, I'm a bit puzzled why the OP hasn't just contacted LL if this is something that happens all the time over the years (or even if it happened just the once). We can all speculate up the wazoo but none of us are Lindens.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Yes, I'm a bit puzzled why the OP hasn't just contacted LL if this is something that happens all the time over the years (or even if it happened just the once). We can all speculate up the wazoo but none of us are Lindens.

Because I thought it were a problem with “prepaid cards”? And not on second life xD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lina Hallard said:

Because I thought it were a problem with “prepaid cards”? And not on second life xD

1. Get a greendot card in the mail.

2. Add money to Paypal.

3. Add money to GD Card.

4. Use GD Card to verify your Paypal account (all prepaid credit cards are considered by law a bank account) you verified your Paypal. (You have a special option in the GD account to link it to Paypal)

5. Be certain you're Paypal /SL email are the same.

It has been mentioned many times on these forums that LL will only accept a bank account or a REGULAR (not prepaid) credit card as the verifying source for Payment Info on File.  With the rules being tightened by the US government last year, I can't believe that has become more lax. So -- at least from all the comments here on the forums -- prepaid credit cards do NOT WORK.   Your Paypal must be backed up by a secondary source such as a checking account at a bank or a  credit card listed below - or both. 

Obviously this is a matter to take up with LL billing -- unless of course someone can point to a change in the rules that a bunch of us missed :D.  These rules are in place to help prevent money laundering. 

image.png.8a6ab9e87e71c721cee06a16b5541db7.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It has been mentioned many times on these forums that LL will only accept a bank account or a REGULAR (not prepaid) credit card as the verifying source for Payment Info on File.  With the rules being tightened by the US government last year, I can't believe that has become more lax. So -- at least from all the comments here on the forums -- prepaid credit cards do NOT WORK.   Your Paypal must be backed up by a secondary source such as a checking account at a bank or a  credit card listed below - or both. 

Obviously this is a matter to take up with LL billing -- unless of course someone can point to a change in the rules that a bunch of us missed :D.  These rules are in place to help prevent money laundering. 

Visa Electron in Italy is the circuit handling the PostePay prepaid cards issued by PosteItaliane, and no other financial institution uses that circuit here, afaik. I've used one of those cards for years and it could also be used to withdraw processed credit directly to the card until 2013 (then things changed and processing credit had to go through PayPal), but if it's in that list I can't see how prepaid cards could be a problem at all. 

Edit to correct myself: checking the transactions history, i misremembered that. Unity Asset Store did the payments on the Visa Electron cards, LL didn't. It always went through Paypal, then from there i had to transfer the funds to the card. My bad, still my first L$ came from that card and they accepted it as a payment method.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

First of all - all prepaid cards I used over the years and still use worked and still work fine - no exceptions.
For backup reasons (you can't trust LL 😁) I tested PayPal too - linked to bank account.

- The bank account is too slow for LL payment but it works. That's because PayPal give me some credit (not much) and withdraws the money from bank account a few days later. I get an email everytime that tells me to make sure that transfer goes through.
- A prepaid card as source works too. I see instant payment.
- If the prepaid card is too slow for LL you can always put some money into PayPal - this money is always used 1st for transfers.

If everything fails:
- call LL billing
- call PayPal

There are maybe - well there are - differences between the countries - especially for debit cards - so you need to try out what works

20 hours ago, Solar Legion said:
  1. Linden Lab (not Second Life) will accept payments made from a PayPal account balance
    1. That balance must be funded by either a standard Credit/Debit card or an actual Bank account
  2. Linden Lab has - over the years - severely limited which forms of pre-paid card they will take as a Payment Method and will not take them through PayPal either
  3. The above applies even with a 'confirmed' PayPal account

Which is rather weird. The touted advantage of PayPal has long been that it "hides" your true payment info from vendors/sites. So, how come LL knows?!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Those are the accepted payment methods that you can put on your Billing Information page.  They don't define what you have to have set up in PayPal.

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Which is rather weird. The touted advantage of PayPal has long been that it "hides" your true payment info from vendors/sites. So, how come LL knows?!

LL does NOT know what the payment method behind PayPal is. They only care that PayPal is "Verified" and that they get their money immediately.

I have my checking account and 2 credit cards associated with my PayPall account.  This thread got me to wondering, so I actually called Billing and verified that they do NOT know which of those funding sources they get paid from when PayPal pays them.  As long as they get the money right away (and the account is verified) they will take whatever PayPal gives them from whatever funding source.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

It could be PIOF and/or for TILLA?  Perhaps it needs adult verification for SL and/or to transfer Linden dollars into a real currency and/or perhaps LL needs proof it's an adult.  

I don't really know but if the OP has confirmed her bank account with Paypal, I do not understand the reason she doesn't want to add her credit card onto the Paypal website because if she trusted Paypal with her bank info...why not her credit card?  

Pre-paid credit cards are for third party things like giving as a gift at real life Christmas time for example or for real life birthdays.  Otherwise, I don't see a purpose for a pre-paid credit card if you have Paypal and trust Paypal with your banking info?  You can use your debit card on Paypal also.  

Edit:  LittleMeJewel and I posted at the same time.  Her post above has the best info on this.  

Edit again:  And I don't understand what the OP means by "I got a pre-paid credit card"?  Was the pre-paid credit card a gift or did she buy it herself?  

And, I also wanted to say that I pioneered Paypal.  I was working on Ebay when we only had checks which took 14 days to clear from a bank or the seller needed a money order.  And, then Paypal was invented to cut down the problem of the need for checks to be held for 14 days before shipping could even occur.  The reason I mention this is because Paypal has always been a little "buggy" for lack of a better word when you are new even though you are confirmed.  Often times you have to wait a bit and/or call Paypal yourself so they can double check it is really you.  For newbies to Paypal, this is what I've experienced you have to be a little patient with it because they (Paypal) are verifying a lot of things for your protection.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Those are the accepted payment methods that you can put on your Billing Information page.  They don't define what you have to have set up in PayPal.

LL does NOT know what the payment method behind PayPal is. They only care that PayPal is "Verified" and that they get their money immediately.

I have my checking account and 2 credit cards associated with my PayPall account.  This thread got me to wondering, so I actually called Billing and verified that they do NOT know which of those funding sources they get paid from when PayPal pays them.  As long as they get the money right away (and the account is verified) they will take whatever PayPal gives them from whatever funding source.

Thanks for the info, and putting my mind at ease. :) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.