I urgently need to change my name(not the displayed name)

Lieon6SG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have only 52 days in second life, I have friends, work, the saved card, a store of my own, and things bought equivalent to about more or less 7,000. At the beginning I did not expect it to reach that much, enter to try and not speak to anyone, but I have realized that the name of my account could compromise my privacy in RL because I put the same name to my user on another website where I did not I would like the people I know in SL to relate to me. On the other website it is already impossible for me to back down and change my name and apparently here too without losing everything. Before it is later I could do another account and start from 0 but I would like to know if there is another solution.
please I need help

11 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, Lieon6SG said:

I have only 52 days in second life, I have friends, work, the saved card, a store of my own, and things bought equivalent to about more or less 7,000. At the beginning I did not expect it to reach that much, enter to try and not speak to anyone, but I have realized that the name of my account could compromise my privacy in RL because I put the same name to my user on another website where I did not I would like the people I know in SL to relate to me. On the other website it is already impossible for me to back down and change my name and apparently here too without losing everything. Before it is later I could do another account and start from 0 but I would like to know if there is another solution.
please I need help

You can try to open a Support Ticket, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with it.

https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

There is a Name Change functionality that will be coming sometime in the next few months - sometime soon™.   In order to change your name that way, you'll have to upgrade to Premium and then pay a name change fee.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

No, there is not.  Your name is tied to your account, just as your Social Security number is tied to your name in RL.  You cannot change it.  Your only solution is to open a new (alt) account and transfer inventory items that are transferable to it.  Don't close the account you have now unless you feel that its very existence compromises your privacy.  Just start using the alt as your main account.  Fortunately, you have been in SL for a very short time, so you will not suffer much monetary loss, but you will need to buy some things over again for your alt.

I understand your dilemma.  I have been in SL for 13 years now and have maintained a firm personal policy of never letting anyone in SL know who or where I am in RL, and vice versa. I am not particularly paranoid and am not dealing with stalkers.  I just follow the maxim that once you tell a secret to anyone, it is no longer a secret.  There may be a time some day when it will be important to share my personal information, but until then nobody needs to know.  I prefer to keep quiet.

EDIT: As Lil says, there will be a name change option for Premium accounts at some time in the mildly near future.  However, I believe it will. still be possible for someone who knows your UUID to link your new name to previous ones.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

As you are very new in SL, your best option would be to start a new (alt) account with a different name. You won't be able to transfer most of your inventory but you'll need to balance the cost of what you've spent against your need for privacy, and decide which is worth the most to you.

Name changes for premium account holders are coming but they've been promised for a couple of years already and there's no evidence yet that this will be available soon enough for you.

And Linden Lab REALLY needs, as a mater of urgency, to make it very clear in the sign-up process that everyone will  be able to see your account name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lieon, I hope they do indeed make it so premium members can change their user name. Surely there are no genuine software barriers to this, as it would be a simple routine, but perhaps the business end of it is such that they worry that people would opt to do that rather than create an alternate account, which seems to increase "users", a promotional statistic, as well as in some cases cause people to make further purchases. As you've said, you are merely 7000 lindens into SL, which, believe me, is so very, very little, so i agree with the option Matty has recomended, that is, start a new account, and the advice Rolig gave to not delete your existing account unless you feel it is just too risky security-wise to keep it.

I am heartened by Molly's advice to hang in there, as the Name Change function is coming soon, except that Matty has pointed out that it has been said for quite some time, hence, if you do wait, best not to invest any more lindens, in case you find that the Name Change is not at all imminent, but rather is just "hot air". I would soooooooo welcome the option to name change, meaning change the user name, with proper security so that no one could tie the new user name to the old one.

Edited by TiiJean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TiiJean said:

Surely there are no genuine software barriers to this, as it would be a simple routine, but perhaps the business end of it is such that they worry that people would opt to do that rather than create an alternate account, which seems to increase "users", a promotional statistic, as well as in some cases cause people to make further purchases.

you clearly have no idea what sl is, and how it is build

2 hours ago, TiiJean said:

I am heartened by Molly's advice to hang in there, as the Name Change function is coming soon, except that Matty has pointed out that it has been said for quite some time, hence, if you do wait, best not to invest any more lindens, in case you find that the Name Change is not at all imminent, but rather is just "hot air". I would soooooooo welcome the option to name change, meaning change the user name, with proper security so that no one could tie the new user name to the old one.

if you don't already then follow Inara Pey's blog. Inara has all the goss on what is happening with SL

the latest on Name Change and 2FA account security is here:

https://modemworld.me/2020/04/02/april-2020-web-user-group-name-changes-et-al/

Name Changes is with Linden QA.  The latest Linden viewer has the capability in it already. And as soon as QA signs off on it then it will get turned on for us. The QA timeline is for end of this month release

2FA is a bit further down the road

Just to add -- the coming soon (TM) name change ability will cost about $40 (last official price mentioned) PLUS you will need to be premium (another $12.95 for a month now?  not sure).   So  it will be much better money-wise to just make another avatar and buy the items you have over again.    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiiJean said:

Surely there are no genuine software barriers to this, as it would be a simple routine

Allowing a user to change their name is truly so complicated in the code that LL has now been working on it for over 2 years.  What they thought would be a simple project ended up requiring them to touch a very large amount of the code.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, TiiJean said:

Lieon, I hope they do indeed make it so premium members can change their user name. Surely there are no genuine software barriers to this...

On 4/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

you clearly have no idea what sl is, and how it is build

Perhaps a bit of information about it would do then. ;)

The account name is used as a unique identifier in many ways

It's used as a unique identifier in scripts. If/when somebody changes it, all scripts that has the name in it will have to be found, modified and recompiled or they'll stop working as intended.

It seems to be (although it shouldn't have been) used as a unique identifier in various databases, access lists, ban lists and so on. Updating all of that every time somebody changes their account name would be a HUGE task.

It's used as a unique identifier among users. If you want to search for some person and they've changed your name, you won't find them. If you meet somebody you'd rather not anything to do with and they've changed their name since last time, you won't recognise them until it's too late.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.