What are you listening to?

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Great album !

Sun Ra is a band you should hear live. I saw  the band twice. Somewhere in the late 80ties at the NSJF when the festival was still at the Hague and again in 2014 when the festival was in my home town. 

Found a nice video from the Hague 1979  :

• Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 8:22 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm listening to one of the most underappreciated percussionists of all time..

There are drummers and then there are percussionists.. A drummer plays drums and sometimes so does a percussionist..;)

Sheila E from Sign of the times.

Not if you're a Prince or serious Latin music fan IMO, she's great! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ina Fairport said:

Great album !

Sun Ra is a band you should hear live. I saw  the band twice. Somewhere in the late 80ties at the NSJF when the festival was still at the Hague and again in 2014 when the festival was in my home town. 

Found a nice video from the Hague 1979  :

My introduction to music as a young teenager was mainly through picking up albums at the lending library taking them home and recording the ones i found interesting on to cassette. One of them was the Sun Ra Strange Celestial Road album.

I love that track but I have struggled to get a grip on the huge catalogue of his music, so much of it from ones I picked out were too freeform jazz influenced for my taste. There is a funkiness and maybe even afrobeat influence to the live performance you linked to that I wasn't expecting. I recently got a compilation of his late 50s recordings that surprised me and are great, way ahead of their time. I really need to put a bit more effort in to checking out his catalogue of music. 

After a screechy start this moves in to a great groove...

Edited by Aethelwine

Hard to believe this absolute Legend as been gone 12 years ago this week.  This song is one of my many favorites of hers, the voice was just flawless!

A short medley of her singing live. The woman as at the top of her craft here, truly one of a kind. There will never be another Whitney.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

My introduction to music as a young teenager was mainly through picking up albums at the lending library taking them home and recording the ones i found interesting on to cassette. One of them was the Sun Ra Strange Celestial Road album.

I love that track but I have struggled to get a grip on the huge catalogue of his music, so much of it from ones I picked out were too freeform jazz influenced for my taste. There is a funkiness and maybe even afrobeat influence to the live performance you linked to that I wasn't expecting. I recently got a compilation of his late 50s recordings that surprised me and are great, way ahead of their time. I really need to put a bit more effort in to checking out his catalogue of music. 

After a screechy start this moves in to a great groove...

I grew up with classical music. Both parents professional musicians.
In my early twenties I took my first saxophone lessons. My teacher was a Charlie Parker fan. 
Every saturday I went to the music library and copied every LP of Parker I could find on cassette. 52 LP's. Even some Bean Denebetti recordings. I stll have that collection. The sound quality is bad but I cherish it.

I have a classic taste for jazz. bebop, hardbop, west coast. I tried Ornette Coleman and such but always go back to my old heroes.

About Dean Benedetti :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Benedetti

Edited by Ina Fairport
  • Like 2