I got an older PC running second life but I can’t move without lags

Elena231231

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I got an older PC it’s actually dual core Intel Pentium wich is fine and game accepts that but my graphic card and SSD won’t accept that. (Graphic: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GT220 1GB, SSD: 8.9 GB) do you know about some way or some viewer wich can run on piece of scrap like this? Thank you 💋 Elena.

Assuming the Pentium is about the same vintage as the GT220, yeah that's gonna be laggy. The problem isn't necessarily age, but the low end parts.

I like Firestorm for potato computers. It seems to play well with old hardware. Try these graphics settings and see how they work:

FSGP1.png.67e7e77d3ea610565819b46dfcffa378.pngFSGP2.png.c6dc67dfe105820755d2abda481dbf43.png

Turning off atmospheric shaders may help kick it up a little more, but that makes a big difference in appearance.

If it's still too slow, depending on which Pentium you have it may be worth spending a few bucks to find a better used CPU and video card.

8.9 GB SSD... huh? Is that the remaining free space on that drive?

9 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If it's still too slow, depending on which Pentium you have it may be worth spending a few bucks to find a better used CPU and video card.

At some point, hardware is so ancient, outdated, out of juice and depleted that you could rather burn your money instead of trying to keep that old crap alive.

• Haha 1

He’s alive and still works fine i suppose and now i made what said first comment so... I don’t think to invest my student money to any of new parts or some kind of it. If it die then it die. (European student’s payouts ain’t good to buy something like PC parts cause you got to keep a place on collage or what is that, and keep yourself alive). Plus that pentium got 3,2 GHz wich is fine and still can run so much things so leave that older INTEL stuff and think about Nvidia and SSD. Cause usage of 10 - 20% of processor capacity with dual core activated ain’t bad at all.

Edited by Elena231231

Plus lots of players use still pentium i know lot of them,  cause it’s not heating part of pc and Air cooler is fine for it. I not need any exspensive Corsair coolers. Cause the CPU is still fast i think faster than can have any of notebooks. That’s a normal Desktop and i have him maybe 6 years so parts have same age. (AC is on 100% + no stupid cooler sound.

Edited by Elena231231
Not complete comment

Whoa, how did we get to liquid cooling?? (I doubt 1% of SL users have liquid cooled rigs. And none of them really need it, especially if they'd disabuse themselves of the fantasy that user-tweaked overclocking is worth the effort. But I digress.)

I do think there's some confusion about what your hardware configuration really is, and you might clear that up by copying text supplied by Help / About... from whatever viewer you're using at the moment.

Also, there may be less resource-intensive viewers than Firestorm. I don't know which is the least demanding currently (maybe Cool VL ? I have no idea). But as already discussed, whichever viewer you choose, a much bigger difference can be made in Preferences. I'd start by cranking down draw depth to the absolute minimum you can tolerate, and reduce to one or two the number of avatars eligible for rendering, but there are many other ways to reduce viewer rendering lag, too.

Qie Niangao I understand what you mean.  just i didn't wanted anyone let know that I'm student on stupid European school wich makes for 24$ and under .So about some investice to PC i don't think. Anyway I put graphics on full capacity and Turned off atmospheric shaders  plus the Razer cortex makes other so some boost and power it will have and game started be without bugs or any other things like that and i not need better cooler. all's fine and he seems fine.

Edited by Elena231231
  • Like 1

Firestorm 32-bit will also help you here, and you can set the draw distance down to 32m if necessary (lower isn't much practical use). In the advanced settings you can clamp maximum texture size sent to the graphics card to 512, which is also going to help considerably when wading through streets of mesh with 1024-sized textures scattered around like snowflakes on the wind. You'll still have to download them at their big size but then you only need to throw a quarter of that at the graphics card.

Is your cache on the SSD or on a Sata disk? 

5 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

At some point, hardware is so ancient, outdated, out of juice and depleted that you could rather burn your money instead of trying to keep that old crap alive.

That's why I put it after the graphics settings and qualified it with "depending". $5 or $10 can get a significant CPU upgrade for older systems. If the computer's power supply has a 6-pin power connector, I'd definitely keep an eye out for a cheap GTS 250 (1GB) on eBay. Those things are magic.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon

You should be able to play on the LL viewer without issue.

I say this with certainty, as i was able to play on a Thinkpad Z61t from 2006, pic related, it did not run well but it ran.

No viewer is going to give you better performance than another, if your hardware is on the very low end, it doesnt matter what you use, its gonna lag and stutter. A viewer change wont make it smooth.

Untitled (2).png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.