Unable to Open a house in Sandbox... Help!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

* I totally agree that helping someone to find answers on their own rather than always depending on others is actually more helpful. I

Absolutely! If people want to be maximally helpful they will teach skills as well as knowledge: give them an answer if you want but  don’t stop there. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The most important thing you can teach anyone is a love for learning.

You can’t really direct teach that, but you can engineer learning experiences that result in student success — and the more challenging the task, the greater the reward. 

Telling is not teaching. Knowing how to access information (including how to use search terms) is vastly more valuable than being told some bit of information. 

ProzacGummyBear's question reminds me that there is a big gap between being spit out of the chute at the current Noob Indoctrination Point, and actually learning to walk around and do things.

It seems as if many unofficial residents have teamed up to provide places where people can ask questions and learn basic skills but there is so much to learn...how about Linden Labs gives every new avatar a handbook containing links to the official help pages, the forums, and the different in-world help groups?

I am still learning things every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The Knowledge Base is not easy to find, and is very poorly laid-out and difficult to navigate. It is also not always up-to-date.

Not sure what you mean about the layout, seems clear to me -- subheadings, bullets, numbers. As for being outdated, the oldest updates I have seen in the English version are from 2018.

Its really a great resource, well laid out, easy to find -- tho not perfect -- and underused. LL needs to introduce new members to it and so do we.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

When I was VERY VERY YOUNG I found a free item  (lots of mystery boxes back then and Take a Copy items) in a folder called "fire". I rezzed it in the NCI sandbox.   It was a coalesced build that spanned a whole sim.   It took me over an hour to delete all the part (with many flickering fire torches). Back then I didn't know (or maybe it wasn't possible) to lasso "my objects". So it was a one by one event with flying up to each object. 

Everyone I am sure has their horror stories :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

Not a horror story, but I learned only this week about some nifty features in the mini-map, including parcel boundaries. I've been in SL for 13 years and I had no idea.

One thing's for sure about SL; no matter how long you're here, you never stop learning.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Not a horror story, but I learned only this week about some nifty features in the mini-map, including parcel boundaries. I've been in SL for 13 years and I had no idea.

One thing's for sure about SL; no matter how long you're here, you never stop learning.

Agree. I have a theory about what kind of people tend to hang out in SL. What I came up with: those who stick around like learning. Those who don't like learning tend to leave before long (often after coming here to tell us how terrible SL and Forum denizens are) . 

• Like 1

These days so many things come in scripted opener packages that a lot of newer users don't know about the old manual way of opening things up.

Good to see you ask.

There's a lot of places in SL set up for helping new folks to.

Try going to 'NCI' and 'The Shelter':

New Citizens Incorporated (NCI): http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kuula/61/144/22 and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NCIsland/119/90/22

The Shelter: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Isabel/42/229/22

New Citizens Group: https://world.secondlife.com/group/25e187d1-3e88-b05c-9d2d-2dceeb9d4bc3?lang=en-US

NCI Help: https://world.secondlife.com/group/c5ea7698-8b54-5ce7-75d4-9407ab28c1df?lang=en-US

The Shelter is a music hangout club with a specific angle of also being for helping newbies. People who are NOT new who go there are somewhat 'expected' to give advice to new people, and some staff there will also help with questions.

NCI is a place full of advice, that also does actual classes on almost every topic about SL you can think of.

- Both of these groups have been active in SL longer than even I have been in SL.

Lastly... it's a little outdated now, but this blog of mine was meant to help newbies out (caution, it has some NSFW graphics):

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The Shelter is a music hangout club with a specific angle of also being for helping newbies. People who are NOT new who go there are somewhat 'expected' to give advice to new people, and some staff there will also help with questions.

I love the Shelter, and I hang out there regularly, and you're right; it's very newbie-friendly with lots of oldbies there who are all happy to answer questions. Actually its funny, sometimes there'll be a dozen of us all over 10 years old, and hardly a newbie in sight. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I really do enjoy watching the generosity of people when they jump in to help out .. I really do not understand why LL itself does not do more to provide guidance, though.

Do you know what really amazes me Scylla ? ikr but I'm going to tell you anyway .. It's that SL does still get genuine newbies. I've met two inworld recently, and now Prozzy here. My new inworld friend has a quiet determination to figure it all out for themselves. Yes, she's female of course. I both admire her determination, and want to help sooo much but dont dare interfere. 

On a secondary note, what on earth might attract people to SL. It cant be the clunky old MP surely. I reckon they drift in from the SIMS and from imvu. Anyway, carry on.

Oh, and on a third note, while I'm feeling quite verbose, I consider genuine new folk finding themselves at places like newcomers island or whatever that infernal hangout of griefers is called, and my heart aches for them.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I love the Shelter, and I hang out there regularly, and you're right; it's very newbie-friendly with lots of oldbies there who are all happy to answer questions. Actually its funny, sometimes there'll be a dozen of us all over 10 years old, and hardly a newbie in sight. 

Many years ago. Maybe 9 or 10, I owned land about where the west part of 'MINGLE' is now, just touching the road, in the same region as the Shelter, and used to hang out between the Infohub and the club there.

Back then the place got a constant stream of newbies.

10 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

On a secondary note, what on earth might attract people to SL. It cant be the clunky old MP surely. I reckon they drift in from the SIMS and from imvu. Anyway, carry on.

It gets mentioned as a joke in a lot of places. Online games and game forums rather often. Probably also in 3D art forums but I haven't been in those in years. There's always the person who decides to check out that joke, or see if the joke is true or not - and either logs right in or goes and reads up on it first and then logs in.

It will also show up in the archives of a LOT of gaming streamers. Some years back a way to 'earn cred' with your community would be to jump into SL, wear a furry costume and do some griefing, the note how furries are griefers (hint, all the furry griefers were you and your followers, not the actual users of SL...), and basically make a few days of videos about 'those stupid losersin that dating game'...

... And every now and then somebody watches that stuff... realizes ALL the stupidity was actually the streamer they were a fan of, and decides to give it an honest look...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

There are absolutely TONS of resources to help newcomers learn about Second Life.  They aren't all that difficult to find, either.  Which is not to say that new people shouldn't ask, either here in the forums, or in world.  That is one of the resources...helpful Residents!

• New Resident Island, Social Island.  These are mandatory stops for all newcomers.  They contain a few tutorials about how to do some basic things.  Don't just rush through to the exits...explore the islands!
  • Resident-run help areas.  Places like Caledon Oxbridge University, NCI, The Shelter, New Resident Island, Firestorm Help Island, Ajuda SL Brasil, or Builders Brewery.  Many of these can be found in the Newcomer Friendly section of the Destination Guide.
    • The resident-run areas generally have self-paced tutorials, and also live helpers you can talk to.  Most also have groups you can join, and you can ask questions in the group chat.
  • Search.  Both this website and the in world viewer have powerful search functions.  They don't ALWAYS prove helpful, but they are worth a shot.
  • The Knowledge Base.  See some of the posts earlier in this thread.
  • YouTube.  Many helpful videos are available.  Two of the most prolific video creators are Torley Linden and Strawberry Singh.  Strawberry's videos tend to be product reviews, while Torley concentrates on SL functions.
  • SL Bloggers.  Do a Google search, or click on some of the links to third party blogs posted in SL's own official blog announcements, in the Community section of the website here.
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.