S.S. Galaxy in Bellisseria

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The 3-region S.S. Galaxy has appeared off the West Coast of Bellisseria!  This (perhaps temporary) museum was first discovered and discussed in another thread, and I am requesting that @Kristin Linden (or anyone else who sometimes moderates here) move those posts here, so that the discussion can be easily found by others.

The first post on it is here:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439050-when-did-you-last-see-a-bellessarian-home-available/page/476/?tab=comments#comment-2042274

Then the thread continues on its regular topic but then turns to the Galaxy nearly continuously starting here:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439050-when-did-you-last-see-a-bellessarian-home-available/page/476/?tab=comments#comment-2042317

It has continued until now, here:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439050-when-did-you-last-see-a-bellessarian-home-available/page/478/?tab=comments#comment-2042874

Thanking you in advance! 

• Like 10

It's a perfect move by LL. I would abandon my home if I thought I had even a slight chance to snag one within view of the Galaxy through Game of Homes, but I know way better than that. I understand LL is just "experimenting" with it's location, I hope they keep it there. If LL homesteaders don't like it they can turn down their draw distance or move out. I never did like the Blake Sea location of it.

• Like 7

I don't know what draw distance everyone else runs around with, but at my standard 128, I can't see the ship at all from the closest spots on nearby land. If it truly bothers someone, though, it's interesting to pull up the map and see how very huge Bellisseria is in comparison to the relatively small number of parcels that might be in view of the Galaxy. Seems like it would be easy enough to avoid it if that's what someone wants to do. :) 

I did crank DD up to have a peek... it was nice to see it again!

• Like 2

If people are enjoying it in the new location that is good, but my worry is the hole it leaves between the beautiful Honah Lee and Rainforest sims. It was just a month ago a new Region was bought on the route between them for surfing, whilst it is not entirely cut off, part of the regions desirability on that route that the Galaxy provided has now gone. If I had paid for that Region I would not be too happy and feel it had been sold me in bad faith for the Galaxy to then go just a month later. I hope I am wrong and something will replace it but the big hole it has left in between these beautiful regions spoils a common sailing route I have enjoyed and brought many people through for the last 3 years.  If no notice was given to the owners of the regions around it to this move then, that makes no good business sense to me.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

If people are enjoying it in the new location that is good, but my worry is the hole it leaves between the beautiful Honah Lee and Rainforest sims.

Those are private estate regions. If the estate owners don't like the hole then they can fill it in themselves. This is why I never liked the location of the Galaxy: A Linden Lab-sanctioned "Preservation Build" in the middle of private estates. Because of where it was a *lot* of people didn't even know it exists, or at the very least: have forgotten about it.

Now it's where it should be: Amidst Linden Lab-creation mainland, and in plain view where everyone can see it and explore it. The very reason it even still exists be because someone with the authority at Linden Lab decided that it is a Second Life treasure. It should be placed on the top shelf for all to see and admire. It's only a real shame that this "preservation" idea didn't occur until long after The Greenies region and experience went away. Because THAT was a major treasure in my mind.

For all of you who are thinking "What is The Greenies" - OMG, you have so missed out on the real fun of SL, back in the "pioneer" days.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 15

54 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Those are private estate regions. If the estate owners don't like the hole then they can fill it in themselves. This is why I never liked the location of the Galaxy: A Linden Lab-sanctioned "Preservation Build" in the middle of private estates. Because of where it was a *lot* of people didn't even know it exists, or at the very least: have forgotten about it.

Now it's where it should be: Amidst Linden Lab-creation mainland, and in plain view where everyone can see it and explore it. The very reason it even still exists be because someone with the authority at Linden Lab decided that it is a Second Life treasure. It should be placed on the top shelf for all to see and admire. It's only a real shame that this "preservation" idea didn't occur until long after The Greenies region and experience went away. Because THAT was a major treasure in my mind.

For all of you who are thinking "What is The Greenies" - OMG, you have so missed out of the real fun of SL back in the "pioneer" days.

I would say exactly the same if the area was a closed gated community unfriendly to visitors, but it isn't.

There are lots of public spaces including the new region that went in, in December right on the edge of the Galaxy sims for public surfing. More rezzing than Bellisseria, it is the most public area in the whole of the Secondlife estate, even if privately owned. The covenant on the area a prototype for Bellisseria. I regularly took people on cruises through there, probably hundreds of people, it was one of the best cruise routes and it feels like vandalism to me to be losing it without replacement. I love Bellisseria, but this feels personally to me like a tragedy.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I would say exactly the same if the area was a closed gated community unfriendly to visitors, but it isn't. There are lots of public spaces including the new Region that went in, in December right on the edge of the Galaxy sims for public surfing. More rezzing than Bellisseria, it is the most public area in the whole estate even if privately owned. The covenant on the area a prototype for Bellisseria. I regularly took people on cruises through there, probably hundreds of people, it was one of the best cruise routes and it feels like vandalism to me to be losing it. I love Bellisseria, but this feels personally to me like a tragedy.

My main point is that your OC was all about your ability to enjoy your boating from one private estate group to the next private estate group. No offense intended here: I couldn't care any less about your surfing, swimming, scuba-diving, boating, flying ability as it relates to the Galaxy regions nestled amidst the private estate barons of Blake Sea. As for the private estate owners who surrounded the Galaxy regions: I understand the Galaxy was there first and they filled-in the space around it.

Now it's gone, oh well. They can still move their regions around for a small fee. Though i doubt the likelihood that they'll be able to connect directly to galaxy again (and that's a good thing.)

So my purview is simply: Yay that Galaxy is out into the light where everyone can see and enjoy it and I bite my thumb at anyone that whines about any holes left behind in the private estate conspiracy that is the Blake Sea surround. I believe that doing so is an argument to make it about you, not the SL community at large. Most of those egregiously-overpriced rental regions can all join Atlantas for all I care. Marktwain W. and his SL bazillionaire friends can all deal with it or move on because even if every private estate linked to Blake Sea were sunk today, Blake Sea would still be there and still be connected to the mainland and the experience may even improve.

All of this being my personal take on the matter, of course.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Totally agree. I had no idea where it had been moved to previously, and if I had, likely would not have bothered going if it was in the middle of a bunch of private regions which, as far as I knew, may or many not have been visitor-friendly.

An LL-run attraction (which the Galaxy now is) should, with few exceptions, be in a public area... which it now is. I'm sure someone can, as you suggest, fill in the hole if it's important enough to them to have it filled. Making the Galaxy more noticed is a great move on LL's part. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Totally agree. I had no idea where it had been moved to previously, and if I had, likely would not have bothered going if it was in the middle of a bunch of private regions which, as far as I knew, may or many not have been visitor-friendly.

An LL-run attraction (which the Galaxy now is) should, with few exceptions, be in a public area... which it now is. I'm sure someone can, as you suggest, fill in the hole if it's important enough to them to have it filled. Making the Galaxy more noticed is a great move on LL's part. 

It's a "loss" for a few dozen people (who make it all about them and their ability to "surf", etc.) and a massive win for thousands of other people. How did Spock put it? "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH SPOCK!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

It's a "loss" for a few dozen people (who make it all about them and their ability to "surf", etc.) and a massive win for thousands of other people. How did Spock put it? "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH SPOCK!

Oh I feel sure SOME people can argue (with anything lol), but I concur: Spock said it, I believe it, that settles it!  🖖

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oh I feel sure SOME people can argue (with anything lol), but I concur: Spock said it, I believe it, that settles it!  🖖

LLAP

(I followed Leonard Nimoy on Twitter and he ended every tweet with that. He's missed.)

• Like 2

I am truly saddened by the reactions here.

Because it is the many that are losing out, I do have a vested interest in that I run a sailing club that rents two homesteads in the vicinity. I have a home in the estate too. Public spaces for all to enjoy, in a way that I can't in Bellisseria. (I do have a public cafe, but there are limitations on it.. I can't for example share DJ Rights to it.

But that is not the reason I think the decision wrong. It is the whole community losing a sailing route, for a pretty bauble on the edge of the new continent, that is. I am glad to see people enjoying it, but sad it has come with a greater loss when it didn't have to.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I am truly saddened by the reactions here.

Because it is the many that are losing out, I do have a vested interest in that I run a sailing club that rents two homesteads in the vicinity. I have a home in the estate too. Public spaces for all to enjoy, in a way that I can't in Bellisseria. (I do have a public cafe, but there are limitations on it.. I can't for example share DJ Rights to it.

But that is not the reason I think the decision wrong. It is the whole community losing a sailing route, for a pretty bauble on the edge of the new continent, that is. I am glad to see people enjoying it, but sad it has come with a greater loss when it didn't have to.

I don't think it's at all surprising that at least some of the citizens of Bellisseria are delighted by this development. After all, it is an awesome new feature for us to enjoy. Since this is the Linden Homes forum, you are going to see mostly the point of view of Linden Homes residents.

To be blunt, I imagine that a good number of us do not care about the woes of Blake Sea land barons, and I think it is very much a matter of opinion as to how great the "loss" is compared to how great the gain to Bellisseria (and others who do not reside in the Blake Sea regions) is. Surely the land barons can pool their many resources and come up with a new route or something if the change is that problematic. Good luck!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Surely it wouldn't take much for the Lindens to fill in the three missing regions with some open water..? @Patch Linden what's the plan here?

I was not even in the region today just adjacent it and I crashed hard sailing my boat... olo  But I agree with more water regions.   It wont take long to get bored sailing the waters. It is a BIG reason I have a place there, instant access to water.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Surely it wouldn't take much for the Lindens to fill in the three missing regions with some open water..? @Patch Linden what's the plan here?

Serious question: Why should the Lindens be required to fill in that "hole" to complete a private estate group of regions? I think it's disingenuous to expect such, and unfair to ask it. Regions cost money to run, so perhaps Linden Lab should just pluck a chunk of Bellisseria to fill that gap? Otherwise, who will cover that expense? //Just Wondering.

Edit to clarify that my questions are general and directed to all readers, I *know* you did not ask or suggest it, Matty! (Though insinuation is pretty thick, there.) LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Sirens Rock and Kuga has no problems, they can set draw distance so they see the lighthouse and not the Galaxy. Those 2 regions is very lovely. Top placement for houseboats. I had a boat in Gaim, and used to fly to the lighthouse in Kuga and wish my houseboat was there.

In Agathy and Hibiki, it is a bit different. Because the Galaxy is closer than the lighthouse. See the lighthouse, and you have to see the Galaxy too.

It is just me, that want to see the lighthouse instead of the SS Galaxy. 

• Like 1

I don't like the Galaxy's move at all. It used to be a popular destination near the Blake Sea and now it is not so easy for all sailors and pilots in Second Life's largest sailing area to reach it without teleporting. 

I would have wished for Bellisseria to build something new there and not to take old historic buildings away and simply transplant them. I do not see this as a good solution.

There are not only private estates around the blake Sea, there is also mainland there and I would like to see some long overdue things happening there, like renewing the textures of the bottom or filling up the water sims, so that you can sail around all continents.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Serious question: Why should the Lindens be required to fill in that "hole" to complete a private estate group of regions? I think it's disingenuous to expect such, and unfair to ask it. Regions cost money to run, so perhaps Linden Lab should just pluck a chunk of Bellisseria to fill that gap? Otherwise, who will cover that expense? //Just Wondering.

Edit to clarify that my questions are general and directed to all readers, I *know* you did not ask or suggest it, Matty! (Though insinuation is pretty thick, there.) LOL

It is not about completing a Region. Framing it that way is in your own language...disingenuous.

Cost would be an issue if I was asking for something new, but I am not. I am unhappy about what feels like vandalism to what was there before. The costs presumably met by the premiums paid on having land connected to mainland, anyway. I am not arguing anything should be taken away from Bellisseria.

It is about them removing an asset not just for the private estate owners, not just for the people that reside on those sims not just for all the Yacht clubs around there but from everyone that sails and motorboats.  it is about removing a link between two private estates that are open for public enjoyment and that made for one of the best and most popular sailing routes.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Perhaps the regions people are abandoning for Bellis?

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I don't think it's at all surprising that at least some of the citizens of Bellisseria are delighted by this development. After all, it is an awesome new feature for us to enjoy. Since this is the Linden Homes forum, you are going to see mostly the point of view of Linden Homes residents.

To be blunt, I imagine that a good number of us do not care about the woes of Blake Sea land barons, and I think it is very much a matter of opinion as to how great the "loss" is compared to how great the gain to Bellisseria (and others who do not reside in the Blake Sea regions) is. Surely the land barons can pool their many resources and come up with a new route or something if the change is that problematic. Good luck!

Perhaps they can, but I suspect they are already feeling pressure on finances. These "landbarons" run tens of sims at premium costs already because of the location. They may have more money to spend than I do, but they aren't big estates in SL terms, from talking with those I have dealings with the USS sailing sims are more a product of love, than something they profit from.

Whilst Alyona might be happy to see them go, they have been home and play grounds for thousands in SL. They have kept people logging in to SL as part of the package of things to do with their time over the years.

Bellisseria is a great place, but it is sad to me when it starts plundering the rest of the grid.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Bellisseria is a great place, but it is sad to me when it starts plundering the rest of the grid.

with this sentence you have brought it to the point. Not only has the Galaxy disappeared from the Blake Sea area, but an important waterway connection has also been lost.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.