S.S. Galaxy in Bellisseria

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Bellisseria is a great place, but it is sad to me when it starts plundering the rest of the grid.

The Blake Sea private estates did not own the SS Galaxy. As far as I know, it has always been intended for the public to enjoy, and now it has been moved from the middle of private regions to a public area. A ship owned by LL has not surprisingly been moved to regions managed by LL. Sorry, but I see no "plundering"  here, and this entitled attitude from some in the Blake Sea area probably played a part in why more people didn't visit the SS Galaxy while it was there. 

If anyone buys a private region thinking that nothing around it will ever change, they obviously have not been in SL very long. The Blake Sea regions managed to get along just fine BEFORE the Galaxy was moved there, so I'm really not too concerned about the woes of the Blake Sea land barons. I'm sure you all will work it out somehow. 

(P.S.  I know from past encounters here that you apparently like to have the last word, so will let you have it with whatever you post next. I'm finished talking about the Blake Sea, which is  technically off-topic for this forum.)

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The Blake Sea private estates did not own the SS Galaxy. As far as I know, it has always been intended for the public to enjoy, and now it has been moved from the middle of private regions to a public area. A ship owned by LL has not surprisingly been moved to regions managed by LL. Sorry, but I see no "plundering"  here, and this entitled attitude from some in the Blake Sea area probably played a part in why more people didn't visit the SS Galaxy while it was there. 

If anyone buys a private region thinking that nothing around it will ever change, they obviously have not been in SL very long. The Blake Sea regions managed to get along just fine BEFORE the Galaxy was moved there, so I'm really not too concerned about the woes of the Blake Sea land barons. I'm sure you all will work it out somehow. 

(P.S.  I know from past encounters here that you apparently like to have the last word, so will let you have it with whatever you post next. I'm finished talking about the Blake Sea, which is  technically off-topic for this forum.)

Then you do not seem to know how much mainland there is around the Blake Sea. There are not only private estates. Satori, Corsica and Gaeta are within easy reach. I myself live on Corsica on mainland.  Not only Bellisseria is public land. Maybe you should find out what you're writing about before you do it *shaking my head*

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, kitten Mills said:

Then you do not seem to know how much mainland there is around the Blake Sea. There are not only private estates. Satori, Corsica and Gaeta are within easy reach. I myself live on Corsica on mainland.  Not only Bellisseria is public land. Maybe you should find out what you're writing about before you do it *shaking my head*

Have we met? I assure you, I am very acquainted with Mainland, but thanks for the "lesson". *shakes my head right back at you with a pat on the head* 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Serious question: Why should the Lindens be required to fill in that "hole" to complete a private estate group of regions? I think it's disingenuous to expect such, and unfair to ask it. Regions cost money to run, so perhaps Linden Lab should just pluck a chunk of Bellisseria to fill that gap? Otherwise, who will cover that expense? //Just Wondering.

Because "channel conflict".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_conflict

LL is not "required" to restore any Blake Sea waterway that they may have impacted.  But LL makes money from the regions that private estates lease, which is one land sales model/channel.  They also make money from mainland leased directly by residents, another channel.  And of course they make money from LHs, a third land sales channel.  When LL sets up LH regions that provide the same sort of estate experience that a private estate was created to provide, they are competing with themselves.  When LL moves unique attractions such as the Galaxy or unimpeded waterways from the Blake Sea to enhance their own competing estates, they are projecting disdain for the income that estate owners (as well as mainland renters) who enjoyed those attractions provide to LL.

As for 'regions cost money to run', I've never observed that LL cares much about the overhead of new regions.  Think about it; once you have the grid set up, your contracts with Amazon and other providers in place, an extra 25 regions would be no big deal, from an expense point of view.  They haven't flinched at SSP, have they?

So.  Is VictoriBelle beautiful?  Yes, but it's a slap in the face of Victorian estate managers.  Which LL has not acknowledged in any way; they appear to have the same disdain for estate managers that some here have.  

If LL provides a tropical/beachy theme for Linden Homes, they will be competing directly with Fruitlands/Eden.  Will they chat it over with Elbag?  I haz my doubts. 

The term 'land baron' is laughable now.  Times have changed, and the profit model that Ansche Chung made her fortune with no longer exists.  Private estates are smaller and they scrape by; if they require too much maintenance, they simply fold, because their owners are generally also working for a living and cannot afford to devote a lot of time to their SL business.  So perhaps LL has decided they don't need private estates now, they will simply copy the estate's value proposition, and very likely execute the builds better.  Perhaps a large tropical island could have Mt. Gal erupting regularly, with lava flows that can actually destroy a few resident homes, which would be a lot of fun.

Embracing Channel Conflict is declaring to anyone watching that you are not interested in being a good partner to your customers.  It is an unhealthy business model.  It leads to groups of customers getting fed up and storming off.  But LL may not care.  I love Belli, but I am saddened by LL (once again) turning its back on estate managers and other customers who have stuck with them through thick and thin.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

LL is not "required" to restore any Blake Sea waterway that they may have impacted.  But LL makes money from the regions that private estates lease, which is one land sales model/channel.  They also make money from mainland leased directly by residents, another channel.  And of course they make money from LHs, a third land sales channel.  When LL sets up LH regions that provide the same sort of estate experience that a private estate was created to provide, they are competing with themselves.  When LL moves unique attractions such as the Galaxy or unimpeded waterways from the Blake Sea to enhance their own competing estates, they are projecting disdain for the income that estate owners (as well as mainland renters) who enjoyed those attractions provide to LL.

As for 'regions cost money to run', I've never observed that LL cares much about the overhead of new regions.  Think about it; once you have the grid set up, your contracts with Amazon and other providers in place, an extra 25 regions would be no big deal, from an expense point of view.  They haven't flinched at SSP, have they?

So.  Is VictoriBelle beautiful?  Yes, but it's a slap in the face of Victorian estate managers.  Which LL has not acknowledged in any way; they appear to have the same disdain for estate managers that some here have.  

If LL provides a tropical/beachy theme for Linden Homes, they will be competing directly with Fruitlands/Eden.  Will they chat it over with Elbag?  I haz my doubts. 

The term 'land baron' is laughable now.  Times have changed, and the profit model that Ansche Chung made her fortune with no longer exists.  Private estates are smaller and they scrape by; if they require too much maintenance, they simply fold, because their owners are generally also working for a living and cannot afford to devote a lot of time to their SL business.  So perhaps LL has decided they don't need private estates now, they will simply copy the estate's value proposition, and very likely execute the builds better.  Perhaps a large tropical island could have Mt. Gal erupting regularly, with lava flows that can actually destroy a few resident homes, which would be a lot of fun.

Embracing Channel Conflict is declaring to anyone watching that you are not interested in being a good partner to your customers.  It is an unhealthy business model.  It leads to groups of customers getting fed up and storming off.  But LL may not care.  I love Belli, but I am saddened by LL (once again) turning its back on estate managers and other customers who have stuck with them through thick and thin.

thanks, nika, nothing to add

So this ship is kinda awesome. The mini golf works, the dances are fun.. and the movie.. well I am watching it now. It's horrible and the popcorn is somewhat stale, but I'm still watching cause I have to see what happens! I hope they rescue more obscure stuff like this ship and bring it here to preserve.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My houseboat is right at the tip of Agathy and unless I put my DD at 600 I do not see the boat. I love the fact that it has been moved here. I would also like to see Ahabs Haunt island moved to belli also. I used to be a huge Blake Sea resident and sailor but to me the Blake seems dead and lonely now with many of my fav places gone. Bellisseria IS the NEW Blake Sea as far as I am concerned. No banlines is fantastic.

Edited by Ziggy Starsmith
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

My houseboat is right at the tip of Agathy and unless I put my DD at 600 I do not see the boat. I love the fact that it has been moved here. I would also like to see Ahabs Haunt island moved to belli also. I used to be a huge Blake Sea resident and sailor but to me the Blake seems dead and lonely now with many of my fav places gone. Bellisseria IS the NEW Blake Sea as far as I am concerned. No banlines is fantastic.

I have to disagree with you, I hope they don't move Ahab's Haunt here as well. Bellisseria will always stay the same, not changing the landscape, but that's what makes SL so attractive for me. The creativity of the users. You don't see much of that in Bellisseria, because the creativity there is only limited to your own four walls, which might be good for some people. 
For me this is by far not enough. There is also a grid outside of Bellisseria and premium users live there as well. But even if you are not premium, you are not a worse person. In 1024m I would feel locked up, even if it might be the navel of the world for you. 

The sailing area around the Blake Sea is by far bigger than Bellisseria and for sailors and pilots much more attractive and historically grown. I don't think you have to break it to keep the Bellissarians happy and to keep them happy.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I see many more people sailing around the Blake Sea area and connected mainland than I do Bellisseria. I have been encouraging people to visit, even opened up my houseboat and linked it with an experience teleporter to my Snug Harbor parcel to help link the areas.

Bellisseria has its own merits, it has no need to make the rest of mainland worse to be a success.

If you are suggesting a copy of the Leviathan brought over then that is fine but a bit pointless, but if you are meaning taking it like they did the Galaxy then no. Whilst trashing your neighbours garden will make yours look better in comparison, it won't make your garden better in any meaningful sense. Living together successfully requires us to treat our neighbours with respect.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 5

Belli is the thriving evolving new face of second life, why not have something new instead of an old build? I am all in favour of recycling, but if this wasn't visited before there was a reason for that beyond the location.

This is three sims worth of stuff on the servers that nobody will use past the first week of curiosity, and then that leaves an item of interest to sail around. Does nobody in the Linden team watch tv programs on how to declutter your house? Keep the small stuff as a reminder.

@Abnor Mole said that if something isn't visited then the higher ups won't want to pay to keep it going, this was in relation to sailing water but seems universally relevant. So why on earth has this build been moved? Maybe someone upstairs was sentimental about the ship and wanted to give it another chance.

• Like 4

instead of polluting Belli with fossiles and old stuff nobody wanted to pay for anymore, clean up mainland, sink some land and put it there as museum. Belli is a more or less residental living area, keep it that way. And the empty abandoned mainland gets a purpose again.

[ edit; i wouldn't mind it stays where it is either, doesn't really bother me, but concentrating older relics in a museum continent would perhaps be a really destination to go instead of all the semi avertising in some areas now.  ...like "hot!...5 people there now " but forgetting those 5 are 7 bots.]

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4

The SS Galaxy is now being used as it should, if LL decides to return it to the Blake Sea, at least more did found about it and perhaps will keep visiting it there.

If it stays in Belli, it will be as welcome as it has been already.

Edited by foneco Zuzu
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Thank you Nika, I always appreciate your perspective.  Although off topic, I remember the National news coverage of Ansche Chung & Second LIfe.  I'm curious how the profit model has changed for Private Estates over time.

The SS Galaxy:  Bellisseria vs Blake Sea.  I believe the SS Galaxy had moved a few times while in private ownership before it became a Linden historical property; was there an issue when it was moved each time in the past?  I'd be curious to hear the original ship creator's thoughts about this recent move.   

Perhaps there might be something new in it's future?  Let it transition into more of a community event center? 

Why not have your cake and eat it too?  Using today's technology, building options & Construction,  LL could match up the original ship builder with current skilled content providers (boat moles?)  to design &  Build a modern SS Galaxy II for Bellisseria (or a new retrofitted SS Galaxy) as a community center with retail shops, education and events, and return the Historical Preservation SS Galaxy back to the Blake Sea untouched.  RL has the Queen Mary and QM-II, SL could do that as well.

I get the impression LL is making an effort not to directly compete with private estates while providing an update to their own offerings to premium members .  Promoted as starter homes with very limited rights and privileges.  They respond consistently to requests for "I want more...xyz"  with messages such as "perhaps you have outgrown the Linden Homes product" or  "this product may not be right for you" or 'perhaps it's time to look for another offering such as Mainland or Private Estates'.    

Making New Linden Homes for premium membership no doubt will generate additional income for the company,  but will this impact Private Estates in the long term?  I'd suggest it's more of a gateway drug  introduction for less experienced users regarding covenants and more structured communities while at the same time a great opportunity for some who may not have the means to afford Private Estate pricing or not familiar with Private Estates yet.   This was a concern when the original Linden homes came out, and Private Estates rose to the challenge and offered an even better experience.  I've no doubt those Estates can continue to do so.

• Like 2

About moving the Constellation from the Blake Sea area: My understanding is that several years ago Linden Lab partnered with a Blake Sea group to extend access to the Mainland. http://blakesea.blogspot.com/p/history-of-blake-sea.html - To my mind while this made Mainland accessible to sailors from Blake Sea private estates, it also meant that some Mainland residents had more access to the Blake Sea Region. I would love it if Linden Lab opened a sea route from Bellisseria to the Blake Sea. Perhaps the next Premium Home continent could be put into place between Sansara and Satori - just move some little Void-Ocean-locked private regions over a smidge (they won't notice the difference).

Also, for those who are interested, there is a life-size recreation of an independence-class light aircraft carrier, the USS Woodbine, in the Woodbine Region. It is not as large or impressive as the Constellation, but still worth a visit. 

• Like 5

Exploring SS Galaxy inside: Spa & Fitness centerhttp://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Galaxy FORWARD/120/165/25

Some things still have the old pose balls, but some things have already more modern animation/pose system; such as AVsitter, for example.
(The Spa & Fitness center was clothing optional in the ship's original place. Due to the forum rules the avatar shown in the pictures wore a skirt.)  😉

General view
2020-01-16_Galaxy-1.thumb.jpg.9c13c5e963eac40fe23f6b9e3c3d598e.jpg

Hot tub and massage
2020-01-16_Galaxy-2.thumb.jpg.ebeb5db6c2ae3f3e14c7a2bd9ba3c82d.jpg

Steam sauna
2020-01-16_Galaxy-3.thumb.jpg.1e33dd98bbd1d68176a9f1c2e503ffda.jpg

And some fitness activities
2020-01-16_Galaxy-4.thumb.jpg.558f9aa4f3d2715cb07ce54188910e96.jpg

2020-01-16_Galaxy-5.thumb.jpg.eb1b80b4a13f67cd43f3d10d44b33799.jpg

(Oh, the avatar does not belong to the scene, you need to bring your own.) 😁 😉

• Like 5

I loved seeing the Galaxy in the waters of Bellisseria.....I did not know that this cruise ship even existed until yesterday. 

I would not mind at all if I could see it from my Houseboat.....I went exploring on in for a bit yesterday & it was amazing.

• Like 4

Oh wow!  The boarding docks with the grand sliding doors into the immense red-carpeted aft lobby are now in place, both to port and starboard!  (were they there on the first day and I somehow missed them?)

With rez zones and swan boats! I took one to Hibiki atoll!

One could throw a formal party and invite a glittering assemblage to come in their fanciest watercraft  😎 

Ooooh yaass!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Knutz Scorpio said:

Just when I thought I'd seen everything on this ship.

1111778885_SSGalaxy_017.thumb.png.d1b24db59ea30da13373fa11c2b8d8b3.png

I haven't been over to see it in its new location and haven't been on board in many years.  As people started talking about the ship and showing pictures, I began to think that if my memory was correct,there should be a spot for weddings aboard ship.  Not a large wedding, unless folks bring their own attachable chair, but it would work.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not a large wedding, unless folks bring their own attachable chair, but it would work.

Weeeelll, MAYBE a large wedding.  They're full regions, 2 of them set to a max of 71 avatars, and AFT appears to be set to 88.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.