Underwhelmed by the Reveal Homes

Mrs Sassypants

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am probably going to get roasted for what i'm about to say but i'll say it anyway. Having visited the new reveal sim, i'm slightly disappointed to say the least on the latest genre of LL homes that will become available shortly. Victorian ? They just look the same as the traditional homes that are available now but with modded add-on's. The size of the homes is also an issue i think, given that they are quite large for the prim allowance allocated, thus making it seem emptier. 

I was really pumped and excited to think that a completely new theme would be introduced - like the trailers, but i'm sadly disheartened to see the 'new' style. It would have been nice to have had something different - maybe an urban theme - manhattan brownstone houses come to mind, in a urban setting .. less 'surburbian'. Feel like a community, block parties, etc warehouse conversions .. just not your average, everyday chintzy houses. LL could have transitioned from the suburbs into the 'city', easily.

Oh well, here's hoping for the next new theme, one can only hope it's entirely new this next time and not one that feels like a rehash of whats already available

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

I am probably going to get roasted for what i'm about to say but i'll say it anyway.

Your ideas and opinion are just as valid as anyone else. There is no reason to roast you on anything you say...

30 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

[...] just not your average, everyday chintzy houses.

Except for this. Because what you are doing is deliberately insulting other people's sense of style. I don't know what you drive in RL, but I'll bet it's just an average chintzy little car.  See what I did there? Just saying.

• Like 7

You're saying they look similar to what people are turning their traditional homes into with add ons. Soooo people will get what they already have shown they want without spending their prims on such add ons. I'm not seeing how that is a bad thing. The reveal has only 5 houses on it. The actual sims will have 4 times that. So their goes your argument about them feeling empty once you get 19 neighbors in a sim. But based on your responses I'm getting the impression your lack of "community feeling" aren't related to proximity or an actual lack of said community.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Because what you are doing is deliberately insulting other people's sense of style

Not actually sure when in society, chintzy became an insult - it was/is used to describe a certain style of decor which would correlate with the style of the new houses :) 'just saying'

2 minutes ago, Tomomi Fukai said:

Soooo people will get what they already have shown they want without spending their prims on such add ons. I'm not seeing how that is a bad thing.

You absolutely point out the reason for my post right there by stating they already have it. That is the point, it's already out there. Also, if they have already spent linden dollars on add-on's, doesn't that kind of make the money they've spent already, wasted ? Not a bad thing ? I personally think it is. 

4 minutes ago, Tomomi Fukai said:

So their goes your argument about them feeling empty once you get 19 neighbors in a sim.

I also never once said that they felt empty, at all. Please re-read my OP and stop insinuating or putting words into my mouth- per sé, thanks :)

Why fight over this? OP is underwhelmed. I liked the houses myself, but not enough to switch from the little cabin I've got. For me, the Louisiana/Victorian-style setting is heavy with memories and ancestral flavor. I want to be my beach-loving self, not constantly thinking of my forebears. They do make me want to light up a pipe and put my hair up in a tignon though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

Not actually sure when in society, chintzy became an insult - it was/is used to describe a certain style of decor which would correlate with the style of the new houses :) 'just saying'

I'll just leave this here:

chintzy

adjective

1. of very poor quality; flimsy

domain of synset usage

similar to

2. embarrassingly stingy

synonyms

derivationally related form

similar to

No, not insulting at all.

Edited by Alyona Su

Just now, Alyona Su said:

I'll just leave this here:

probably a good thing because you're obviously not reading what i wrote before 

11 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

it was/is used to describe a certain style of decor which would correlate with the style of the new houses

:) as pointed out before, it might be construed that way in your society, but in mine, it's perfectly fine to describe the quoted above. If you're going to get angsty over cultural differences regarding decoration, then i can't debate that :) however, please understand that what i meant, isn't what you're reading and neither of us are right or wrong :)

3 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

probably a good thing because you're obviously not reading what i wrote before 

:) as pointed out before, it might be construed that way in your society, but in mine, it's perfectly fine to describe the quoted above. If you're going to get angsty over cultural differences regarding decoration, then i can't debate that :) however, please understand that what i meant, isn't what you're reading and neither of us are right or wrong :)

Your OP and my OC are there for all to see, as a permanent record until a Linden removes it. Our words are set in digital stone. I quoted what you wrote before.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tomomi Fukai said:

I guess what I'll take from this is I will have one less person who will be fighting for one and I won't have them as a neighbor in my community. Again, I'm not seeing how that is a bad thing in this case. 

Given your attitude and reaction to something that was entirely an opinion not aimed personally at you or anyone else - i can truly say the feeling is very mutual. I'll continue to enjoy my tradtional home with add-on's that look like the new reveal homes. Good luck in trying to get one of the new ones, i wish you all the best :)

Edited by Dreamy Lebed
spelling error

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Your OP and my OC are there for all to see,

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I quoted what you wrote before.

as i said previously, you're no more right or wrong than i am and i'm too old to be doing he said she said. I 110% stand by my description on how i view the new homes with no exception or apology for the terms and words i used to describe them too, as i did so with no intention of insulting anyone. If i did insult anyone, it was by no means intended however, and that i am sorry for, but i won't ever be sorry for 1) speaking my mind and 2) using a term that is acceptable to my own culture. Take that as you will, call me ignorant, arrogant, all the above, i don't really care. I just find it sad that you nitpick my post with something so petty instead of actually reacting to the subject posted about

1 minute ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Chintz was originally glazed calico textiles, specifically those imported from India, printed with designs featuring flowers and other patterns in different colours, typically on a light plain background. (The name is derived from the Hindi chīnt, "spotted or variegated").[1] Since the 19th century the term has also been used for the style of floral decoration developed in those calico textiles, but then used more widely, for example on chintzware pottery and wallpaper. Chintz designs are mostly European patterns loosely derived from the style of Indian designs themselves reflecting Mughal art.

that was EXACTLY where i was going with my opinion. Thank you for pointing it out and being a voice of reason :)

How I read Dreamys post is, LL showed imagination years ago when they created homes ie, the hobbit houses etc.  They showed imagination with the cute little trailers..and they created some beautiful suburban homes. HOWEVER since they already have suburban areas and trailers and boats.. they could have expanded the theme ie, a road that leads into a city type area with maybe apartments (like penthouse style) or warehouse places .. just a different feel.  I did not get the vibe she was trying to be rude.

• Like 3

I do feel, personally, that the Victorian themed houses are too similar to the Traditional themed houses.
Between campers, houseboats, and traditionals it's extremely different theming and you're in a very different environment with each. They will likely be favorites of rather different kinds of people.

Between the Traditional and Victorian theme - they could all easily come out of the same 'rezzer mailbox' and be side by side on a sim and not 'break theme'. It is basically 'houses without porches' vs. 'houses with porches'.

They are nice - but are they distinct enough?

If we go to the old linden homes...

Meadowbrook and Tahoe are the two that most resemble each other - and that is quite an imagination stretch for me to say even that. Basically, all they have in common is 'modern designs'. Elderglen is fantasy-faerie and Shareta is medieval Japan. Radical departures. Basically... on the old homes, all four themes had more 'distance' between them than Traditional and Victorian have.

I like the new Victorians. But I also wish we had gotten something that was ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> way over here instead.

That all said... what I am seeing from the community seems to support this feeling. The people most open to 'giving up' their current home to get the new theme generally are sitting on traditional homes right now. I know that's also true for me. My alt in a traditional will almost certainly abandon it when the time comes. My houseboat though... isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

Maybe advertisements like this added to making the word chintz an insult

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zosah said:

They showed imagination with the cute little trailers..and they created some beautiful suburban homes.

seriously, i LOVE the trailers and the traditional homes, they're pretty gorgeous, both styles/genre's - i totally agree !

6 minutes ago, Zosah said:

HOWEVER since they already have suburban areas and trailers and boats.. they could have expanded the theme ie, a road that leads into a city type area with maybe apartments (like penthouse style) or warehouse places .. just a different feel. 

Which is where i felt underwhelmed by the reveal, disappointed even that it wasn't a 'new' theme as such. 

7 minutes ago, Zosah said:

I did not get the vibe she was trying to be rude.

absolutely not, i'm not a rude person by nature. Opinionated, yes haha, rude only when provoked and even then after i've bitten my lip and sat on my hands. I just don't think there was any juste cause to attack me personally for an opinion that didn't intentionally insult any particular person ❤️ Thanks for being reasonable and reading my OP properly as intended

5 minutes ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

that was EXACTLY where i was going with my opinion. Thank you for pointing it out and being a voice of reason :)

So when you said ' average, everyday chintzy houses', you meant average everyday houses with floral patterns derived originally from India?

Come on, I am from the same culture as you and whether you are English, Scots, Irish or Welsh, if you call someone's home 'an average, everyday chintzy house', you aren't being complimentary. Stop being disingenuous. You meant it as a slight against the new style of homes and that is what you were pulled up for.

• Like 4

Some just aren't interested in these types of homes or the traditional.   No biggie, there will be more themes coming out at some point, I hope something that catches your eye.  Houses are not for everyone.  Just like a HB or camper is not for everyone.

Personally I love the look of these new homes better than the traditional ones.  They are more my style I can hardly wait to get one!  

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.