Computer use

NayNayFaith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

There are 2 kinds of laptops sold today. A laptop with Intel graphics or a laptop with Nvidia/AMD graphics. Any  new laptop with an Nvidia or AMD graphics card will run SL very well. Did you want a specific suggestion?

yes. I just want something to run sl smoothly without any problems. A specific suggestion.

but how can I get those cards into my computer to make it run faster? Do I need to buy them?

Edited by NayNayFaith

23 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

There are 2 kinds of laptops sold today. A laptop with Intel graphics or a laptop with Nvidia/AMD graphics. Any  new laptop with an Nvidia or AMD graphics card will run SL very well. Did you want a specific suggestion?

If I get a laptop with intel graphics will it still run well for sl?

30 minutes ago, NayNayFaith said:

True. So would this laptop work best? It’s an ho and it has that sticker on it and that intel sticker

I think it’s safe to say no, it would not work best. Without knowing what’s in it, it’s impossible to say if it would be acceptable or not. Intel graphics runs a whole range, from not being able to run SL at all to not great, not terrible.

What I would look for is the fastest Intel Core i5 or i7 I could afford, with the best Nvidia graphics, About 8GB of memory and an SSD. Preferably in a Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Latitude or some kind of Alienware gaming computer.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, NayNayFaith said:

So would this laptop work best?

Computers are like race cars.  Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go?  If all you care is to go $300 worth that will probably give you a $300 speed.

Come up with a budget and the shop for the best PC in that budget.  You will get a better value this way than trying to find the cheapest way to run Second Life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Computers are like race cars.  Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go?  If all you care is to go $300 worth that will probably give you a $300 speed.

Come up with a budget and the shop for the best PC in that budget.  You will get a better value this way than trying to find the cheapest way to run Second Life.

True. Well I only wanna spend like $100 to $200 on a computer and everyone is saying an hp. Works great for it I wanted just want to know everyone else’s opinion 

$100 to $200?  You are going to have to shop VERY carefully to find a machine that will run SL for this budget.

I think you should limit yourself to used computers.  Start haunting eBay and Craigslist.  But used computers have many pitfalls, and you'll have to be a clever shopper to avoid them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

$100 to $200?  You are going to have to shop VERY carefully to find a machine that will run SL for this budget.

I think you should limit yourself to used computers.  Start haunting eBay and Craigslist.  But used computers have many pitfalls, and you'll have to be a clever shopper to avoid them. 

What about amazon? Are they true to their word???

Amazon does not sell used computers.  You can find "refurbished" computers there, which gives you a little more confidence in the machine vs. a flat out used laptop.  Yes, they are "true to their word."  I shop for almost everything except perishable groceries at Amazon.

Here is a fairly typical example of the sort of thing you'd be looking for on eBay.  (Note, this is an auction in progress and the final bid is likely to be higher than the currently displayed price.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G75VW-17-3-Intel-i7-3610QM-2-3GHz-8GB-750GB-HD-Nvidia-GTX-670M-Win10-Pro/193083171694?hash=item2cf4a7636e:g:xFsAAOSwS15dbx7y

I found this by browsing to the "Laptops" section of eBay, and applied search filters of "PC laptops", "under $350", "Windows 10" and typed "Nividia" in the text search box.

My best advice for getting an inexpensive laptop that can run SL nicely is to look for a used or refurbished laptop with an Nvidia or AMD graphics card. Amazon does have "renewed" laptops, but there are other computer sites like BestBuy, Newegg or Tigerdirect which also have refurbished laptops. Buying from a store site is more trustworthy and they will usually take returns. The inventory is always changing at these sites so you might have to check them every so often. Ebay or Craigslist also have used and refurbished laptops with sellers that are either individuals or stores. There is a good chance to find a cheap gaming laptop here but you might have to play the bidding game. There are also phone apps that have local sellers which might be good because you are picking it up locally. Computer makers like Dell, HP, and Lenovo have outlet sales that sell overstock or returned/refurbished computers but don't normally carry gaming laptops. There are also websites that are discounters or overstock dealers and even some non-profit groups that sell cheap laptops. 

5 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

My best advice for getting an inexpensive laptop that can run SL nicely is to look for a used or refurbished laptop with an Nvidia or AMD graphics card. Amazon does have "renewed" laptops, but there are other computer sites like BestBuy, Newegg or Tigerdirect which also have refurbished laptops. Buying from a store site is more trustworthy and they will usually take returns. The inventory is always changing at these sites so you might have to check them every so often. Ebay or Craigslist also have used and refurbished laptops with sellers that are either individuals or stores. There is a good chance to find a cheap gaming laptop here but you might have to play the bidding game. There are also phone apps that have local sellers which might be good because you are picking it up locally. Computer makers like Dell, HP, and Lenovo have outlet sales that sell overstock or returned/refurbished computers but don't normally carry gaming laptops. There are also websites that are discounters or overstock dealers and even some non-profit groups that sell cheap laptops. 

Or how about a computer that is just a gaming computer?

Buy on specs, not on brand, and never on a generalization. Just because a computer has dedicated graphics doesnt mean its actually good in 2019.

Within your budget youre basically look at a real lucky find on craigslist or a used business laptop on ebay. And while older intel HD graphics will play SL, its not the greatest experience. 200$ would get you a complete Thinkpad T430 or 440 on ebay, both of which would run SL. Just very poorly, i wouldnt suggest going that route.

You can also look into desktops, an old optiplex with a cheap GPU in it will play SL depending on the specs and should be at or below the 200$ mark in total.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383120918884

Put a cheap, sub 75 watt GPU in it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303272922258

Install linux or buy a cheap windows key, whatever you feel like. Now you have a PC that will play SL and play it decently well, just need a keyboard/mouse and monitor.

12 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

Buy on specs, not on brand, and never on a generalization. Just because a computer has dedicated graphics doesnt mean its actually good in 2019.

Within your budget youre basically look at a real lucky find on craigslist or a used business laptop on ebay. And while older intel HD graphics will play SL, its not the greatest experience. 200$ would get you a complete Thinkpad T430 or 440 on ebay, both of which would run SL. Just very poorly, i wouldnt suggest going that route.

You can also look into desktops, an old optiplex with a cheap GPU in it will play SL depending on the specs and should be at or below the 200$ mark in total.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383120918884

Put a cheap, sub 75 watt GPU in it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303272922258

Install linux or buy a cheap windows key, whatever you feel like. Now you have a PC that will play SL and play it decently well, just need a keyboard/mouse and monitor.

Is this good enough?

05DDC7A7-67C1-40AD-B5BC-834E513F56B1.png

7 hours ago, NayNayFaith said:

[A computer that] don’t lag and works fast so I don’t look glitchy and laggy [...] I only wanna spend like $100 to $200 on a computer [...] just a gaming computer

Are you serious? With that budget, try playing Minecraft on low graphics instead of SL. Or buy a Huawei phone and install a Second Life viewer on that.

I don't think you are serious.

• Like 3

I had good luck with Asus “Republic of Gamers” PCs. 

My last was a G75 that ran very fast and refused to die. I finally retired it when I went iMac and when I log it on for monthly updates, it’s still fast 🙂

SSD, Dedicated GPU and I maxed the RAM however... wasn’t inexpensive 

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8972cef636428cc35780f

Laptops are more expensive than desktops and gaming laptops are even more expensive. The total amount of gaming laptops is very small relative to the amount of regular laptops and desktops. Basically, we're looking for something that is normally rare and expensive that has to be under $300.  If we try to find a used gaming laptop on Ebay, the fact is gaming laptops get burned out and broken more often because they're used constantly for gaming and they generate lots of heat inside that tiny laptop body which breaks down the components. People also know that if they have a 'gaming' computer they can tack on an extra $100 to the price.

Another way to go about this is to find a source local to you where used gaming computers will sometimes become available. I'm thinking Craigslist or a local pawn shop. There are some phone apps for connecting local neighborhoods that also have marketplaces. I'd constantly search these and ebay for a good deal. I know good deals occasionally turn up but it may take weeks or months. I'd also look at other forums for games and maybe reddit to see if anyone can suggest other options. 

Just because someone uses the word “gaming” to describe the computer doesn’t mean they’re being honest about it. An AMD A8 is a good clue it isn’t really a gaming computer. Well, Minesweeper is a game, right?  If you’re looking for an HP gaming computer, their gaming lineup has “Omen” in the name. They market some Pavillions as gaming computers, but a gaming laptop probably looks like a gaming laptop, not like it belongs at the cheap end of the computer display at Best Buy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.