Bakes On Mesh - Releasing Soon!

Vir Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:20 AM, Teager said:

I respectfully disagree. There are always more potentially useful use cases for a new technology than the intended/most obvious one.

I've actually been expecting to build BOM functionality into my teeglepet animesh horses...

Wait... BOM can be used for things other than mesh bodies? It can work on other mesh attachments too?

Holy moly batman, this could be even better for me than I thought.

I have a body mod to make my missing arm. It is omega compatible but it will only take a skin on a single layer. I cannot add tattoo or clothing layers to it.  How likely is it that BOM will enable me to do this? Would the creator of the mod have to release a compatible update?

Edited by Matty Luminos
Typos

Hi Vir, testing the Bakes on Mesh proper release now, having tested out earlier release candidates. Most things work great... but... one thing I was hoping would be fixed before release...

Can you enable the bakes radio button to apply one of the BOM textures to faces of objects in normal build mode , not actually attached at the time. Its there for the texture selector in the UI but greyed out.  The use case is that you want to prepare items intended for BOM use as attachments and HUDs but create them in world.  I have also found that some mesh attached parts like bento heads seem not to be able to be selected when worn, so are difficult to BOM texture unless that is done in world.

BOM-on-InWorld-Object-Cannot-Select-Bake-Textures.jpg.a7605bb95df1432e79c94f509ce19389.jpg

Edited by Ai Austin

7 hours ago, Ai Austin said:

Ya, sadly the thing only lets you toggle on the BoM thing when it's worn, as for selecting pesky rigged mesh, instead of trying to right click at it in-world, go to it directly in the inventory and right click on it there and you can pick the edit button in there.

image.png.6483c8cd0687ddf9714478f4b73b1ba7.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that suggestion Digit... I dashed to my computer to try it... but there is a problem… the LL Official Viewer does not have the edit option on right clicking Inventory items.  That's a Firestorm viewer feature. And at the moment Firestorm does not support BOM.

It would be great if LL could think about some of the use cases where allowing the bakes textures to be applied would be useful.  I hit such use cases right away as I reported before and I dare say anyone preparing items for the marketplace that will make use of BOM will find it useful.

It would be good if the Firestorm folks allows the bake radio button on their edit too.

Edited by Ai Austin

Ok... am I missing some or doesn't a mesh body... like Maitreya... need to be Mod before you can get the " Texture tab " and set it to Bake?...

Well I just found out that it looks like...we'll all have to wait until ...Firestorm updates... Maitreya updates and Catwa updates and so on. And I bet the makers will wait until FS updates first, because most people use that viewer.

1 hour ago, Sean Heavy said:

If you have an Omega compatible mesh body, you can get an Omega applier to make it BoM; no need for modify permission. It appears to be available on the Marketplace.

If it is the one called Bake on Mesh skin applier, I am not sure it is working with the latest UUIDs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freyja Nemeth said:

If it is the one called Bake on Mesh skin applier, I am not sure it is working with the latest UUIDs.

If you search in the Marketplace for "Bake on Mesh skin applier (Omega)" with quotes, the first result is an Omega BoM applier that says it updated the UUIDs as of March 2019, but it's not free. It's L$125.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sean Heavy said:

If you search in the Marketplace for "Bake on Mesh skin applier (Omega)" with quotes, the first result is an Omega BoM applier that says it updated the UUIDs as of March 2019, but it's not free. It's L$125.

Haven't the UUIDs changed again since then, though?

1 hour ago, Freyja Nemeth said:

Haven't the UUIDs changed again since then, though?

According to this post:

The UUIDs changed sometime right before April 2, 2019, which matches up with the Marketplace Omega mentioned above date of 3/29/2019. And the UUIDs mentioned by Vir Linden in that post are current; I compared them to my working HUD.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Danraka said:

Ok... am I missing some or doesn't a mesh body... like Maitreya... need to be Mod before you can get the " Texture tab " and set it to Bake?...

Well I just found out that it looks like...we'll all have to wait until ...Firestorm updates... Maitreya updates and Catwa updates and so on. And I bet the makers will wait until FS updates first, because most people use that viewer.

Should come quickly, it's already in the FS source for those who compile it themselves.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 3:48 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

Forgive me if I don't take what you or Theresa say at face value.  I will believe it when the BoM changes go in and the viewers work as intended.

You need to catch up with reality. LL Viewer is out now but the RC version has been around for months and works as intended. Slink BoM bodies are out now but test bodies have been around for months. People have been experimenting with them to see what could be done. And in all those months the applier stuff you use didn't break. Slink now shows what can be done with mesh BoM bodies.

Just now, Nalates Urriah said:

You need to catch up with reality. LL Viewer is out now but the RC version has been around for months and works as intended. Slink BoM bodies are out now but test bodies have been around for months. People have been experimenting with them to see what could be done. And in all those months the applier stuff you use didn't break. Slink now shows what can be done with mesh BoM bodies.

My reality is just fine thanks, why not mind your own?

You can't make everyone happy. Some will like BOM, some will hate it. There will always be people who will be unhappy. 

I've been looking forward to BOM for a long time. It will be great to be able to wear tats, makeup, moles, freckles and other things together. Yay!!!

• Like 3

Could be the greatest thing since sliced ...  (mesh) 🙂

Seriously, it will take some time for adoption, but as one of the developers of the open source Ruth 2.0 and Roth 2.0 mesh bodies its a development that I think will very much simplify the use of mesh bodies with skins, tattoos, undergarments and some tight to body clothing.. reducing the use of onion layers and improving efficiency. BoM texturing can also be offered as one option for mesh texturing and alpha slicing, alongside or within HUD appliers.

Has anyone tried logging in with the new BoM viewer 6.43.0.530155 using two (multiple in other words) viewers on the same desktop at the same time?

I think there might be an issue...  when I wear a BoM equipped HUD and the underlying classic avatar parts are meant to go transparent.  They don't for the OTHER user even after doing a "Rebake Texture".  The avatar parts continue to show for the OTHER user.

Can someone else try things and see if there might be a glitch before I look at identifying the specifics to make a JIRA issue if necessary?

1. make sure Preferences -> Advanced -> Allow Multiple Vierwers is on.

2. Log on with one avatar - stay classic for now.

3. Log on with a second user and go to same location.

4. Try adding a HUD for avatar one which has BoM faces set. Observe that view changes for avatar one. Observe that the view  for avatar two of avatar one  does NOT change. Try Texture rebake and observe no change.

5. Try adding a BoM textured attachment or HUD for avatar two. Observe that view changes for avatar two. Observe that the view for avatar one of avatar two does NOT change. Try Texture rebake and observe no change.

I am also seeing a second avatar stay as a cloud forever even after avatar rebake in some cases.. possibly related.

Edited by Ai Austin

I just tried using 6.3.0.53155 across two separate computers and the same sort of thing happens... so its NOT a multiple viewers on same system issue. I must be doing something wrong here! 

Possibly HUDs that use BoM textures are not meant to make the relevant parts of the avatar transparent, and that only applies to attachments on the avatar iself rather than the HUDs? So the issue might be that the local viewer for the avatar wearing a HUD that includes BoM textures sees the relevant parts of their avatar go transparent, but all other users don't?

If anyone has an insight please post a note.. meanwhile I will continue to see if I can pin down what is happening.

Edited by Ai Austin

A HUD that may have parts BoM textured when attached to a HUD position will locally make the relevant parts of the underlying classic avatar transparent in the view of the avatar that attached such a HUD, but that does NOT show to other users. Its probably a viewer bug to have this difference in behaviour?

34 minutes ago, Ai Austin said:

A HUD that may have parts BoM textured when attached to a HUD position will locally make the relevant parts of the underlying classic avatar transparent in the view of the avatar that attached such a HUD, but that does NOT show to other users. Its probably a viewer bug to have this difference in behaviour?

I have two viewers running, (Second Life Release 6.3.0.530115 (64bit) MacOS), with no issues. One has a HUD with BoM textures in lower left. (RuthTooRC3)

Details:
Second Life Release 6.3.0.530115 (64bit)
Second Life Server 19.08.06.529800
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz (3000 MHz)
Memory: 16384 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 Darwin 18.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 18.7.0: Thu Jun 20 18:42:21 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.270.47~4/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon Pro 570X OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-2.11.20
Window size: 2580x2698
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 10000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 3
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: August 30 2019 08:23:39

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 14/104844 (0.0%)
August 30 2019 09:06:17

• Lindens

Objects attached to HUD attachment points are only visible to yourself. This was originally by design - it's your HUD, why would anyone else see it? - but when the "HUD" object is a rigged mesh that displays on your avatar, the behavior probably isn't what most people would expect. We have a JIRA to look into this, probably by warning people when they add such attachments.

• Thanks 1

Sean.. try this.  Remove all BoM attachments and mesh body parts and any alpha... stay as classic avatar underlying that. Now add your HUD... and observe that in your viewer the part(s) of your avatar corresponding to those BoM textures you have included in the HUD will be hidden.

BUT, look at the avatar via a second avatar login, whether on same system or another system it turned out) and for that second avatars view the avatar parts that are hidden still show.

Vir, I understand what you say, but the difference in behaviour I think is a bug. unless its just my setup. Can you gve me the JIRA URL fir the report you mentioned?

As well as in the official 6.3.0.53155 viewer, the same thing happens with test builds of Firestorm 6.3.1 with BoM included. Which of course us probably the sane code merged in.

Edited by Ai Austin
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.