Bakes On Mesh - Releasing Soon!

Vir Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

The current plan is to release Bakes On Mesh as the default viewer next Monday, August 26. The knowledgebase article is being actively updated, and contains new information about how the feature works and how to use it. If you get a chance, please test out the Bakes on Mesh Viewer (download here) before then and let us know about any new issues.

Thanks for sticking with us!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

33 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

Does it need to be on a certain region for that to work? Cause i got a red face with baked head written all over it. :(

I used the omega bakes on mesh free addon on my head.

are you using the BoM viewer that Vir linked to in his original  post?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

But, is it Christmas so soon? 😍

(From one who has waited for BoM.....so long)

giphy.gif

Christmas in August, heck yeah. I gotta remember there are restrictions on certain words, so I get really excited and almost type a restricted word. Then I have to backspace and put in a different word.

• Like 1

• Lindens
1 hour ago, HunniHope said:

are you using the BoM viewer that Vir linked to in his original  post?

Right, you need to be using the latest Bakes on Mesh viewer from https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer.html for it to work. Also if you have older test content for Bakes on Mesh, it may need to be updated - the texture ids for BOM textures changed a few months back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vir Linden said:

Also if you have older test content for Bakes on Mesh, it may need to be updated - the texture ids for BOM textures changed a few months back.

Maybe its that, I will go to omega store and get a new omega test applier.

I'm disappointed that the wiki says it will have no support for worn animesh. Animesh seems like a great use case for BOM, being new enough to not have established other norms, and with built in added incentive to keep land impact down. I recognize that it could work for an animesh solution that is designed only to ever be rezzed, but for the many animesh objects that are advertised for rez or wear, I feel the different implementations will be confusing for the end user. Is full animesh support something that's on the roadmap, or is that being viewed as too narrow a use case at this time?

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I am not enthusiastic at all.  At best it will have little immediate impact that I care about and at worst it could break all of my purchased appliers.  I don't have a great deal of confidence that breakage will not occur.

It can't.

All Bakes-on-Mesh does is replace certain texture UUID's with the avatar bake. Any other texture will be completely unaffected.

It may make your appliers obsolete for new bodies eventually, but they'll still work with the body you have now.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Teager said:

I'm disappointed that the wiki says it will have no support for worn animesh. Animesh seems like a great use case for BOM, being new enough to not have established other norms, and with built in added incentive to keep land impact down. I recognize that it could work for an animesh solution that is designed only to ever be rezzed, but for the many animesh objects that are advertised for rez or wear, I feel the different implementations will be confusing for the end user. Is full animesh support something that's on the roadmap, or is that being viewed as too narrow a use case at this time?

Why, bakes on mesh is literally for avatars and their appliers. So you can have 32 layers, like before the days of mesh. So you can plop on a skin, and not have to worry about having to take up one of your very few layers on your mesh avatar. This has nothing to do with animesh.

• Like 2

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

That is what I am hoping but with software surprising things can happen and there is no such word as "can't" when it comes to breakage.

This will not affect existing appliers, a lot of bodies and heads are updating their heads and bodies for BoM. There is nothing that will mess with your applier scripts. You won't logon one day, and find you have all the default appliers on, or that your applier scripts don't work.

11 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Forgive me if I don't take what you or Theresa say at face value.  I will believe it when the BoM changes go in and the viewers work as intended.

I've been using the BoM viewer every day on the main grid for months. Haven't seen a single problem with any existing mesh avatars, either mine or anyone else's.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I've been using the BoM viewer every day on the main grid for months. Haven't seen a single problem with any existing mesh avatars, either mine or anyone else's.

I tested it out, when they initially put out the beta viewer and I had to use Omega thing from Cute or Die. It didn't mess with my avatar at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.