8k Gaming Computers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

And from the info that Qie provided, we can also deduce that you have less than 4 GB in hardware. Mystery solved!

🎉

Ok . It s a bit curious to limit at half the hard memory available . Why this  ?

Edited by Miranda Umino
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miranda Umino said:

Ok . It s a bit curious to limit at half the hard memory available . Why this  ?

I may be misremembering, though I understand that setting is to control a subset of graphics memory for pre-rendering or something or other - it's not a full setting for the full capability of your graphics chips. It's like come kind of buffer or cache for graphics.

Edited by Alyona Su

This topic got me looking at the current state of VR.  Turns out there have been some improvements (the newly released Index system on Steam looks nice, and the wildly expensive XTAL system makes me drool)...but things still don't look to be at a point where I'm anxious to toss my money at someone.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, Miranda Umino said:

The memory setting limit is for textures.
Besides textures the graphics card stores also some other important information.
The extra memory outside the the texture limit is reserved for those other things what the GPU will handle.

That's why all the GPU memory is not reserved for the textures only.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 2:21 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So, for 11 Mb video memory, FS puts the ceiling on 2 Mb, apparently. On my previous computer, my graphics card had 512 Mb, and FS put the limit there on 512.

11Mb , 2Mb. Thst are memory sizes from the 90's i really hope you mean 11GB and 2 GB it's a big difference.

Edited by Richardus Raymaker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

i really hope

I thank you for your genuine concern about my potential mental decline. I also thank you for your time and effort in pointing this out and I thank you for averting any potential, disasterours consequences that this mistake could have. Bravo!

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

Am I the only one in the world that seems to notice that Linus generally doesn't have a dot of a clue what he's doing. He just witters on about a particular topic and when it comes to actually building, fixing, putting together etc etc. He seems to totally flounder and have no idea what he is doing. Happily smashing and chucking things around and panicking while his "team", aka the guys who actually know what they are doing and regular have to jump in and help him, look on like "What is this ***** doing....he pays good money but is he for real". In other videos, such as when he went to Japan to meet up with the....iphone guy....cant remember his name. He was rude, arrogant and totally panicked when it was suggested he build a computer from parts found at the market, then wandered around the market barely knowing anything about the products he was looking for. 

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Am I the only one in the world that seems to notice that Linus generally doesn't have a dot of a clue what he's doing. He just witters on about a particular topic and when it comes to actually building, fixing, putting together etc etc. He seems to totally flounder and have no idea what he is doing. Happily smashing and chucking things around and panicking while his "team", aka the guys who actually know what they are doing and regular have to jump in and help him, look on like "What is this ***** doing....he pays good money but is he for real". In other videos, such as when he went to Japan to meet up with the....iphone guy....cant remember his name. He was rude, arrogant and totally panicked when it was suggested he build a computer from parts found at the market, then wandered around the market barely knowing anything about the products he was looking for. 

This is probably going to derail a bit, but, what's your point? It's LTT who decides what you see on the video, it's all highly edited. If they wanted to make Linus look like a tech-god on their channel, they could.

Regardless of that, why would it matter if he hadn't all the knowledge in his head on the fly? The videos where they explain any particular topic are read from a prompt. You could put any tech-illiterate person in front of the camera and make them believable. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 8/25/2019 at 8:38 AM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

He seems to totally flounder and have no idea what he is doing.

I never got that impression. Maybe it's a strategy not to over-geek in his videos, for the sake of views. Also, knowing a lot about tech may correlate inversely with presentation skills. It doesn't matter if he's not as tech savvy as you'd hope. He's got an impressive staff, each member of which has their own expertise. To me, as a former Mac user/PC harware noob, his channel has been instumental in making my hardware choices. And you know things go hardcore geek when he invites the big guy to his show:

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.