popular skins? your personal faves?

xBaeBeex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

In Win-10 type: Calibrate Display Color... just 'calibrate' should bring it up. Windows will walk you through calibrating your monitor.

Thanks!  It's an old monitor, about 10 years.  Flat screen; possibly one of the first flat screens.   

But, I found an area where a menu drops down and the highest it goes is 32 bits and Windows 10 is 64 bits...could this be part of the problem?  I cannot find the RGB area yet.  

Sorry, for the derail.  eek.  Didn't mean to derail.  I am planning on asking Firestorm Support Inworld too as the skins really turned more orange with the latest Firestorm I installed for Animesh (non-beta) viewer AND I was hoping to use some of my older skins with BoM. 

Edit:  And, my older darker skins weren't orange before and it's the same monitor.  So, I'm not sure what is going on yet.   

Edited by FairreLilette

Loving this thread, have been using it as a shopping guide, thanks so much! :)

I just moved to a mesh head, so updating my skin and make-up. Doing a lot of shopping, but am horrid at noticing details, so am very confused about the difference in skins. I know these are really stupid questions, but 1) what is the difference between different skins from the same vendor, in the same skin tones? I am having a hard time figuring that out. And 2) what does a L1000 skin get you over an L200 skin? Details? Make-up options?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

4 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

I just moved to a mesh head, so updating my skin and make-up. Doing a lot of shopping, but am horrid at noticing details, so am very confused about the difference in skins. I know these are really stupid questions, but 1) what is the difference between different skins from the same vendor, in the same skin tones? I am having a hard time figuring that out. And 2) what does a L1000 skin get you over an L200 skin? Details? Make-up options?

When I shop for skins I set myself up in a pose stand and take pictures of each one from the exact same angle. I set the snapshot tool to show the UI so I can tell them apart. Then I can open all these in an image editor and flip through them quickly. It really helps me to see the differences between a bunch of similar skins. Things like nose shading, nostrils, lip shape and size, eyelids, eyebags, cheekbones, contouring are examples of what differs between skins even from a single vendor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cicelydawn said:

When I shop for skins I set myself up in a pose stand and take pictures of each one from the exact same angle. I set the snapshot tool to show the UI so I can tell them apart. Then I can open all these in an image editor and flip through them quickly. It really helps me to see the differences between a bunch of similar skins. Things like nose shading, nostrils, lip shape and size, eyelids, eyebags, cheekbones, contouring are examples of what differs between skins even from a single vendor. 

Great idea, thanks so much! :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

I just bought a skin from this thread and bought a fatpack of skins from Amara Beauty for 225 Lindens which is a fabulous price!  The skin is lovely.  I have no complaints.  All I can see really is it has less options for the body more so than the face.  Amara Beauty's body appliers are free BUT I cannot find the body appliers for the one I bought the fatpack for though her tone 03 is okay with me when I wear a choker.  I'm happy with it.  Also, Amara Beauty has skins that I can purchase for 399 that will match tone 03.  I haven't taken the time yet to message the creator and ask if she still has the old body appliers though which I should do pronto cause I really like the skin.  

I'm having problems with skins turning orangish since I installed the new Animesh viewer.  My old classic skins look horribly saturated and deep orange and they did not look that way before so I'm not sure WHAT the problem is.  Also, with the new viewer...some darker skins are losing detail and a facelight even at the lowest I could find is too bright.  I made some very subtle facelights than most being sold on MP.  If anyone would like one, just contact me inworld and I will give you one.  I'm still tweeking them a bit before I put them for free in MP store or in my little inworld store.  

Have fun creating your new "you"!

CORRECTION:  Amara Beauty has body appliers for the Face I got at 50 linden for singles and 150 linden for the fatpack.  For the tone 03, the faces are 399 for Catwa.   I am very pleased with the skin and the price.  You just know when you like it or even love it and it really isn't always the price.  I just really love it!  The skin fatpack I got for 150 lindens has freckles or no freckles.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I just bought a skin from this thread and bought a fatpack of skins from Amara Beauty for 225 Lindens which is a fabulous price!  The skin is lovely.  I have no complaints.  All I can see really is it has less options for the body more so than the face.  Amara Beauty's body appliers are free BUT I cannot find the body appliers for the one I bought the fatpack for though her tone 03 is okay with me when I wear a choker.  I'm happy with it.  Also, Amara Beauty has skins that I can purchase for 399 that will match tone 03.  I haven't taken the time yet to message the creator and ask if she still has the old body appliers though which I should do pronto cause I really like the skin.  

I'm having problems with skins turning orangish since I installed the new Animesh viewer.  My old classic skins look horribly saturated and deep orange and they did not look that way before so I'm not sure WHAT the problem is.  Also, with the new viewer...some darker skins are losing detail and a facelight even at the lowest I could find is too bright.  I made some very subtle facelights than most being sold on MP.  If anyone would like one, just contact me inworld and I will give you one.  I'm still tweeking them a bit before I put them for free in MP store or in my little inworld store.  

Have fun creating your new "you"!

CORRECTION:  Amara Beauty has body appliers for the Face I got at 50 linden for singles and 150 linden for the fatpack.  For the tone 03, the faces are 399 for Catwa.   I am very pleased with the skin and the price.  You just know when you like it or even love it and it really isn't always the price.  I just really love it!  The skin fatpack I got for 150 lindens has freckles or no freckles.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Thank you! For some reason I could not find it in Search or MP. :)

Me neither. :) (You can find it on Search inworld, though). It's one of the few reputable stores that had the 'snow' Maitreya skin tone applier I needed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Me neither. :) (You can find it on Search inworld, though). It's one of the few reputable stores that had the 'snow' Maitreya skin tone applier I needed.

I went there tonight. Didn't buy anything but definitely LM'd it.

Tonight I loaded up at a make-up place, could spend hours playing with the stuff I got!

If you have any make-up vendor suggestions, I would love to hear those, too! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Tonight I loaded up at a make-up place, could spend hours playing with the stuff I got!

Me?! Ha! I almost sounded like I know what I'm talking about, right?! :) But no, honestly, I just started on all this good stuff like 2 weeks ago. And @PrudenceAnton gave me the vast majority of my starter-knowledge. I got some great new porcelain skin from Pink Fuel, though, the other day. I knew her her from back when, and she still makes great stuffz!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Me?! Ha! I almost sounded like I know what I'm talking about, right?! :) But no, honestly, I just started on all this good stuff like 2 weeks ago. And @PrudenceAnton gave me the vast majority of my starter-knowledge. I got some great new porcelain skin from Pink Fuel, though, the other day. I knew her her from back when, and she still makes great stuffz!

Everyone as their own taste in makeup styles.  My own preference is often lighter makeup so I can keep the natural beauty of the skins I purchase as the focal point.  I do have a few favorites though. 

-SU- (Suicidal Unborn) - If you want or need a dramatic makeup, I love theirs. But I also love their eyeliners with light to heavy eye shadows. They also have great mesh eye appliers.

L'Etre makeup - Is always a good go to for pretty, natural makeup, great lipsticks, too.

WarPaint* - I absolutely love their eyelashes.

Izzie's - I love for certain enhancements to my skins, like breast veins and such.

AG. (Avi-Glam) - Is my go to for great mesh eyes and appliers.

In the below photo, I'm wearing L'Etre lipstick and Suicidal Unborn eyeliner/eye shadow

46948998445_ea78d8f95c_o.png.c05a8cb931d38673fdf291854f52cb42.png

In the photo below, I'm wearing Warpaint* eyelashes and L'Etre lipstick.

48022323641_e16340209b_o.thumb.png.3d955e3f03de07818ca4e8924d9ec3e3.png

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 2

For skins I have used:  L'Etre, It Girls, Glam Affair, Pink Fuel, The Skinnery, DeeTaleZ, Go&See, *YS&YS*, MILA, 7 Deadly skins,  Amara, Atelier Pepe, Insol, Lara Hurley Skins, Milan, remy&rowe, LAQ, Fiore.  And a few more not named here.

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 1

Most of mine are already mentioned by adding anyway:

Skinnery. Probably this is the most used of all of them.

Session

DeeTalez

Not Found

Tres Beau

It Girls

Atelier Pepe

YS&YS

L'Etre

Some of the others I like but don't use as much: Essences, Bold and Beautiful, Go&See, Amara Beauty, Pumec, Flesh

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kiramanell said:

😁

I just bought my 'spendy' skin from Pink Fuel a couple of nights ago after a lot of cross shopping. Ivory, very pretty! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Everyone as their own taste in makeup styles.  My own preference is often lighter makeup so I can keep the natural beauty of the skins I purchase as the focal point.  I do have a few favorites though. 

-SU- (Suicidal Unborn) - If you want or need a dramatic makeup, I love theirs. But I also love their eyeliners with light to heavy eye shadows. They also have great mesh eye appliers.

L'Etre makeup - Is always a good go to for pretty, natural makeup, great lipsticks, too.

WarPaint* - I absolutely love their eyelashes.

Izzie's - I love for certain enhancements to my skins, like breast veins and such.

AG. (Avi-Glam) - Is my go to for great mesh eyes and appliers.

In the below photo, I'm wearing L'Etre lipstick and Suicidal Unborn eyeliner/eye shadow

46948998445_ea78d8f95c_o.png.c05a8cb931d38673fdf291854f52cb42.png

In the photo below, I'm wearing Warpaint* eyelashes and L'Etre lipstick.

48022323641_e16340209b_o.thumb.png.3d955e3f03de07818ca4e8924d9ec3e3.png

Wow, awesome looks!

Thanks so much for the tips! :)

• Like 2

L’Etre really surprised me! Their non-cleavage option is quite nice and I generally love their facial appliers.

Note: I use 3rd-Party Brows as the L’Etre skin applier was not ver blonde-friendly (and I wanted a different texture-shape to augment the brow-style)

I've been using an Esode skin since someone nice bought it for me when I was new.  I really like it and it has such a pure , younger look.

I went and checked out the Session skins and got lots of demos last night and OMG! they are so detailed and beautiful.  It completely changed my look but made me look older and I'm not sure if I can change.  I would recommend it, though.

Edited by PixieFruity

I use a face applier that was included with the Genus beta version (haven't found anything I like better!) that matches The Skinnery body appliers. So far I feel like their body appliers are the most realistic and I wouldn't consider any face applier that doesn't match it. Not Found's for Genus use Skinnery body appliers so that's an option too. I love Glam Affair (QUALITY!) although their body isn't quite as good as The Skinnery.  Amara Beauty face appliers are pretty but the body appliers are not good, low detail. Started off with LAQ head Gaia which I loved but  their body appliers are a deal-breaker, NOT GOOD. I was actually using my Red Mint body applier with my LAQ head and then wearing a choker that MOSTLY covered the difference in the neck. Pink Fuel, another one, good face, great make-up, body appliers nope. When I had a system skin my all-time favorite was Red Mint, best detail face and body. WISH WISH WISH that Red Mint had advanced to creating face and body appliers, then I'd probably still wear them.

To get a good look together, I check out blogs, vlogs, flickr, and I also have a handy little hud that I use all the time from marketplace called, "What is She Wearing." It tells you everything an avatar is wearing. I highly recommend it and it is freeeeeeeeee yay!

I've been through several re-brandings of my favorite skin maker. I've stuck with her for about 9 years now due to her generosity, skill and being overall a nice person.

Right now it's Lumae, but was Heartsick, Aeva and soon, Ritual.

Lumae skins, as mentioned, are on sale for 100L each. That includes (for almost all skins) huds for most of the major heads and bodies (as well as Omega appliers). Her 'Bare' skins have no make-up, but are lovely even without. And she does carry some skins with makeup as well as fantasy skins.

• Thanks 2

My favorite two skin designers for my Genus head are Amara and Pumec.  Pumec put out a skin at skin fair that was just so gorgeous on the Genus Classic head.  I had never been impressed with Pumec for my Lelutka and Catwa heads, but boy, did that change for Genus!  I have a couple Pink Fuel skins for Genus as well.  If I see Pumec and Pink Fuel at a gacha event, I at least have to demo as they know how to design for that head.  It didn't hurt that it didn't take many pulls to nab a rare either.  Pumec definitely has more body options in their applier, so they do have that edge over Amara.  I didn't need a lot of changes to my shape either.  I pretty much wear the same shape with Amara and Pumec. 

Makeups?  Alaskametro (yay for wearable demos!), Shiny Stuffs (yay for finally creating for Genus!), The Face (has a nice selection of group gifts for Genus), and I recently picked up some nice lipsticks from Leronso's group.   Izzie's is always dependable as well 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.