Smile Huds

Armani223

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use Catwa and Lelutka bento mesh heads. Both come with animation huds that have smiles among the many animations included. I think most, if not all, bento mesh heads come with an animation hud or are available to purchase separately, such as the LAQ mesh head HUD. I know there are some animators who have made huds for face animations. I prefer using animations made specifically by the head creator so I don't have any experience with those particular HUDs. If I were you I'd go grab as many demos of mesh heads that I could find and demo the heads and pay close attention to the animations included to see if you can find a smile you like.

• Thanks 1

My forum avatar is a LeLutka head.  It is playing a lick followed by a wink.  These are played from the HUD and captured by Gyazo.

I know LeLutka and LAQ HUDS also have mood settings that will play random animations. If your mood is happy, you smile; if sad you pout or frown, etc.  Here is LeLutka's controls:

75c0e76abbfb71231380368bbcadd95a.png

and then the expressions tab:

3cf7c07c11a4e7c13d3c9b5f1052a6a1.png

LAQ's looks more like this:

08458ba07710a1ef99274ce3611eff1c.png

I know Genus has something similar and I *think* Catwa does as well but I am not really familiar them.

• Thanks 1

If you're seeing pictures of avatars smiling it could also be a photo-imaging app called FaceApp which gives the illusion of an avatar having smiled in a photo/picture with results similar to this:

FaceApp-1.jpg.d082ec69868b6e57965af75457357011.jpg

You'll see that in some of the 'How does your avatar look today' thread too, by the way. It isn't produced in world but an overlay for the photo you take.

As for huds and AOs, there are a variety of them that have listed before me. Each mesh head seems to come with some sort of capability for facial expression; I've used Catwa, Lelutka and Genus. In the Hud that comes with my Lelutka Head there are Moods and expressions; so I can pose wearing one smile, or my avatar's expression changes in a kind of subtle loop; and I've found that Lelutka really falls short on basic non-model smiles, but makes up for that with several happy/neutral moods and any of those produce smiles to varying degrees. I'm just trying out Genus now so that's still unfamiliar territory.

A quick look for face animators on Marketplace reveals a few more options there too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

If you're seeing pictures of avatars smiling it could also be a photo-imaging app called FaceApp which gives the illusion of an avatar having smiled in a photo/picture with results similar to this:

FaceApp-1.jpg.d082ec69868b6e57965af75457357011.jpg

You'll see that in some of the 'How does your avatar look today' thread too, by the way. It isn't produced in world but an overlay for the photo you take.

As for huds and AOs, there are a variety of them that have listed before me. Each mesh head seems to come with some sort of capability for facial expression; I've used Catwa, Lelutka and Genus. In the Hud that comes with my Lelutka Head there are Moods and expressions; so I can pose wearing one smile, or my avatar's expression changes in a kind of subtle loop; and I've found that Lelutka really falls short on basic non-model smiles, but makes up for that with several happy/neutral moods and any of those produce smiles to varying degrees. I'm just trying out Genus now so that's still unfamiliar territory.

A quick look for face animators on Marketplace reveals a few more options there too.

Thanks RaeLee 😊 yes I think this is it , as my head is Catwa and she does not smile like this in any of the animation hud lol. So I’ll have to ask my clever photographer SL friends to help me on this one.

thanks again everyone for your help xo

5 minutes ago, Armani223 said:

Thanks RaeLee 😊 yes I think this is it , as my head is Catwa and she does not smile like this in any of the animation hud lol. So I’ll have to ask my clever photographer SL friends to help me on this one.

thanks again everyone for your help xo

Hi, the HUD in question is available to download for iPhone or Android. It’s called FaceApp, and it’s free. No fancy photographers needed!

• Thanks 1

I discovered someone using the FaceApp in a Flickr stream a month or so ago. It’s actually designed for rl photos but works amazingly well with sl avatars. It brought a whole new perspective to many of us. My Lelutaka face HUD can’t come close to a natural smile. I’m even using my FA it in my profile picture. 

Anyway... problem is that the app asks you permission to access your photos... you go yes and, ... we’ll its all over the news here in the US that sketchy people might be behind the App. 

Its a use at your own risk kind of thing nowadays 😬

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 12:38 PM, Eva Knoller said:

Hi, the HUD in question is available to download for iPhone or Android. It’s called FaceApp, and it’s free. No fancy photographers needed!

...and... You can run it on a PC. It is a bit more complex. The basic idea, download an Android emulator, Blue Stack is one. From the emulator add the FaceApp. Then struggle to figure out where the input and result images are kept. Then you can do these on you PC.

More details here: http://blog.nalates.net/2019/06/18/the-faceapp-and-second-life/

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.