Refresh Limit Reached

PrudenceAnton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, AlyceAdrift said:

Flawed system. Having to wait an extended amount of time to refresh, hence not getting a home. 

And I'm not even talking about me, I'm talking about hundreds of thousands of people besides myself.

Exaggerate much?! 😃 Why don't we just go for a cool million!? Sounds a lot more impressive, and I'm sure LL wouldn't mind the extra customers either. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, AlyceAdrift said:

Flawed system. Having to wait an extended amount of time to refresh, hence not getting a home. 

And I'm not even talking about me, I'm talking about hundreds of thousands of people besides myself.

It's not a perfect system, no. But even at 72-120 seconds I'm still seeing the occasional house or house boat. Admittedly an awful lot less than before (but then I did originally hammer that Auto Refresh plug in pretty hard); maybe I'm seeing 1 where I used to see 5 or more a day, if that. It's also worth mentioning that any houses I see are abandoned; region releases happen when my side of the planet is asleep, and even staying awake to 4 and 5 in the morning hasn't yielded any results beyond another abandoned house, so I can't speak to how the system works during an actual release, and I can't speak for individual user experience either.

This morning for three hours (between 2 and 5:00am) I manually refreshed 10 times at 10 second or 5 second intervals; logged out, logged back in again to reset, and repeated for another 10. Then again. Then again. I did that for 3 hours anticipating a release that, little did I know, would still be hours away. At least I tried to think outside the box. It's a wonder I can move my fingers right now BUT doing something like that isn't different at all to what everyone has been doing since the first houses were released anyway.

Chances are if you wait for the restricted 60 second (72 second) Auto Refresh to catch you a house during region releases, you're going to be extremely lucky to catch one, but at least you're still in with a chance however slight that may be. Failing that, take a risk and manually cycle through like others do; they're the only options any of us have right now beyond wait for a larger release. 

⏲️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

It would be easier to remove the whole page and install a lottery. Everybody draws a lottery ticket once and thats it. 😎

/me erases everything she typed and just goes to have another coffee, maybe with a shot of something in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

So it lets people who are not hammering the servers with auto refresh get a shot, too. Sounds more fair to me, actually. :)

Not really. We live in a dog eat dog world. Survival of the fittest seems pretty realistic. Let me throw out a scenario for you:

Like person A is sitting stuck on a lockout screen from refreshing at signs of a region release happening, they were sitting there camping the release; when person B gets a home, person C gets the sold out screen 3 times in a row, and Person D refreshes once after just logging in for the first time that day and gets a lockout for refreshing too much? 

Please tell me how that's fair?

10 minutes ago, AlyceAdrift said:

Not really. We live in a dog eat dog world. Survival of the fittest seems pretty realistic. Let me throw out a scenario for you:

Like person A is sitting stuck on a lockout screen from refreshing at signs of a region release happening, they were sitting there camping the release; when person B gets a home, person C gets the sold out screen 3 times in a row, and Person D refreshes once after just logging in for the first time that day and gets a lockout for refreshing too much? 

How is it fair that one person gets a home, maybe two homes, when others don't get one at all? :)

Are people who use the phone apps getting an advantage in refreshing? Possibly because they are using data rather than wifi? Does a data refresh allow constant refreshing due to not being detected as an IP address?

Edited by emilia Avindar
specify *data

Here's how Google explains it:

Every device on the Internet has two IP addresses: a public and a private one. In your home, your router uses your public IP address—assigned by your ISP—to connect to the Internet. ... Your mobile devices also have public and private IP addresses. But they're constantly changing, and therefore, pretty much meaningless.Aug 21, 2015

3 hours ago, AlyceAdrift said:

Please bring back normal refreshing rates to make it more fair, thanks :)

NO - the health of the servers is far more important than your feelings of fairness.

1 hour ago, emilia Avindar said:

Are people who use the phone apps getting an advantage in refreshing? Possibly because they are using data rather than wifi? Does a data refresh allow constant refreshing due to not being detected as an IP address?

No - I just tested it and got the timeout screen on my 10th refresh.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

And the servers don't have to get hammered if a daily lottery were in place. Send a notice to the winners and give a fair amount of time to claim, perhaps only 24 hours, and if unclaimed because someone is ill or on vacation, then automatically re-enter them in the lottery. I'm getting around 1 hit a day on auto-refresh, and even when I'm responding in a few seconds, I am never fast enough. 

4 minutes ago, emilia Avindar said:

And the servers don't have to get hammered if a daily lottery were in place. Send a notice to the winners and give a fair amount of time to claim, perhaps only 24 hours, and if unclaimed because someone is ill or on vacation, then automatically re-enter them in the lottery. I'm getting around 1 hit a day on auto-refresh, and even when I'm responding in a few seconds, I am never fast enough. 

Have you ever read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson? I think we should try that kind of lottery! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlyceAdrift said:

LL making this change is not a targeted attack at you or anyone else,  and it's not being done to make things less fair or trip you up or deny you the one of many homes.  It's for server health as has been explained on official, pinned threads for quite some time.  It's not about being unfair to you or denying you something or well...about you.

• Like 3

The new rate for Premium is $99.  You can buy just under 25,000 linden for that, which is equivalent to $487 linden  a week.  Without the benefit of the 1024 premium Tier, Premium offers only Premium Chat for Support Tickets.  The usefulness of 1024 sqm is not useful to me for Mainland now.

I would like to dwell on the Bellisserian continent, on the water.  Sure, I can buy Mainland on the water (recently sold two significant locations to a real estate friend for pennies on the dollar) or rent an Estate, but I want to get the full benefit from Premium and live on the new waterfront.

At some point, I may decide that my money goes further by just buying coin here.

Just now, emilia Avindar said:

The new rate for Premium is $99.  You can buy just under 25,000 linden for that, which is equivalent to $487 linden  a week.  Without the benefit of the 1024 premium Tier, Premium offers only Premium Chat for Support Tickets.  The usefulness of 1024 sqm is not useful to me for Mainland now.

I would like to dwell on the Bellisserian continent, on the water.  Sure, I can buy Mainland on the water (recently sold two significant locations to a real estate friend for pennies on the dollar) or rent an Estate, but I want to get the full benefit from Premium and live on the new waterfront.

At some point, I may decide that my money goes further by just buying coin here.

I think that is absolutely your right. Everyone has to decide for themselves and I would hope that anyone who felt they were not getting value for their dollar would decide how to spend that money in a way that makes them happier.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Have you ever read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson? I think we should try that kind of lottery! 

I just read the summary, and learned that the people were actually drawing to see who would be stoned to death as a sacrifice for a good growing season. Wow. I'm not sure how you meant this, @Beth Macbain. 

4 minutes ago, emilia Avindar said:

I just read the summary, and learned that the people were actually drawing to see who would be stoned to death as a sacrifice for a good growing season. Wow. I'm not sure how you meant this, @Beth Macbain. 

It is an incredibly well known short story that every high school kid in America has read (or should have). 

It's all open for interpretation. Take it to mean whatever you wish! That's the beauty of literature!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.