Small rooms?

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the long thread about Linden homes, it was said that the rooms are so small. One of the rooms was measured to 6 x 6,5 m. Is that so small?

The prim is 6 x 6,5 m. It is, to be frank, a better kitchen size than I have in RL. Way better! This kitchen is sized down 15% from the default. It is room enough for it in default size too. I think this looks better for me. LI as shown is 8.

It does not have animations, but I plan to put in that from another kitchen. The dishwasher cabinet to the left is edited, it is no part like this in the set. It is a short bench - it is 1 LI, not possible to edit it. But I selected texture for the drawers and set it to transparent 100%, edited off the dishwasher from another part, and put it in. I show you that in the second picture, I took the dishwasher to the side so the editing is visible.

801271101_cornerkitchen_001.thumb.png.6c8514a9b3cbeb137b69dc6c71904cb3.png

corner kitchen_003.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

I think what makes the Linden Homes rooms look too small is the very high ceilings. We're comparing them to rooms in RL houses so because the LL rooms are so high, it gives the illusion of them being too small. Of course they need high ceilings because 99% of SL residents don't know how to change their camera settings, and if the ceilings were at a proportional height, those people would be unable to navigate around inside them.

The rooms look much bigger when they're furnished.

• Like 3

The basic problem with "all" (most?) houses that try to approximate RL dimensions (some creators obviously use house plans from Google to layout their house (I did that once but found the rooms way to small for comfortable living) is the walking through the sides of the building issue -- VISUALLY, not actually :D.   It is certainly true that we have the ability to change our viewer settings to deal with this but most folks don't know how or don't care to do this. Personally as a creator who makes buildings I do NOT change my view angles from the default primarily so that I get an idea of what the majority sees. 

I DO think that the new homes are a huge improvement over the 512s and the more organic and community inspired layout is leaps and bounds better than the sprinkling of houses hither and yon in the old home sims. BUT aside from the overly high land impact of the traditional houses the rooms ARE small and will be difficult to move around in for new folks especially. The houseboats are definitely more roomy (some almost too much so for me LOL).

BUT, these are just the first set of styles of abodes, many more to come. And I suspect that the people who plan have been paying attention to the feedback. 

An open planned balcony "bedroom" modern house must be on someones radar. An upgrade style for Meadowbrook themes would be welcomed by many, including all the folks that have chimed into various LH threads.  In a year there may be a big selection of places to live -- one for almost each citizen's need. We can hope anyway.  

• Like 5

I changed my camera angle years ago and often help others learn how to do this for themselves. It's surprising how many have discovered this and have already adjusted their camera angles. It used to be a mystery but not any longer. I make buildings too but I'm not going to build based on the awful default angle. I do like taller ceilings though in SL and RL. So my builds tend to have a taller ceilings than the standard 8 foot high walls so prevalent in standard RL home construction. But I do love the smaller rooms that many SL builders are shifting toward. For many years I felt as though SL houses were like living in cavernous spaces that were impossible to decorate unless you were going for that minimalist look.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

My biggest problem with small rooms is that it's hard to take photos in there. I think all the interior SL bloggers set up scenes, not decorating a whole room.

This raises the question on how RL photopgraphers picture humans in regular sized rooms then. Don't take me wrong but you might need to have to work on your camming skills ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

because 99% of SL residents don't know how to change their camera settings, and if the ceilings were at a proportional height, those people would be unable to navigate around inside them.

As if that would be the one and only reason...
Its not unlikely a female avatar is at least 2.20 meters tall, while males often exceed 2.5 meters.

Where i live, the standard height of a ceiling is about 2.5 meters ;)
There is no way to build something proportional in SL, if avatars keep being between 1.5 and 3 meters tall.

• Like 1

Just now, Resi Pfeffer said:

As if that would be the one and only reason...
Its not unlikely a female avatar is at least 2.20 meters tall, while males often exceed 2.5 meters.

Where i live, the standard height of a ceiling is about 2.5 meters ;)
There is no way to build something proportional in SL, if avatars keep being between 1.5 and 3 meters tall.

This is also true. I am around 2.5m myself (and intentionally so, so nobody try to guilt me into shrinking down, I don't want to). I regularly meet adult avatars, even men sometimes, who reach little higher than my chest. So builders are stuck between a rock and a hard place; whatever the scale of the building, it will be too big for some and too small for others.

However, despite my own height, I am rather pleased that they haven't scaled up the houses to fit the tallest of avatars.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I am around 2.5m myself (and intentionally so, so nobody try to guilt me into shrinking down, I don't want to

If my lines sounded judgemental in any way, it wasnt on purpose. Im on the lower end of the scale with being 1.61 meters tall. :)

6 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

tall?
:) ... small

Small? Once i used to wear a group tag saying "Normally sized"  :)

But still, there is some truth to it. There are supermarket shelfes you cant reach that easy in RL, but you can use workarounds like asking someone for help, jumping, throwing something at the desired product or stepping onto the bottom shelf.

Just now, Resi Pfeffer said:

Small? Once i used to wear a group tag saying "Normally sized"  :)

if you match the statistics you can find your country :)

shelves in shops are even a horror if you'r taller...or smaller... the brand you want to grab is always on a low or to high shelf, they want you to take the middle one with highest margin (or higher marketing budget)

some modern averages:

the Netherlands : 183,8 cm 170,7 cm
Denmark: ]182,1 cm 168,2 cm
Iceland: 181,7 cm 168,7 cm
Germany: 181,3 cm 168,0 cm
Finland: 181,2 cm 167,0 cm
USA: 178,3 cm 164,1 cm
UK : 175,4 cm 161,9 cm
Japan: 168,6 cm 156,0 cm

8 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

181,3 cm 168,0 cm

Seems, im way off. 🙄

25 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

My avatar is 2 meters. To me that's a giant of a woman RL but it's average by SL standards.

There are some good reasons to go with the SL standards, even though i resist until today. Someone my size dancing with a 2.5 meter guy just looks silly/awful.

• Like 1

I used SL to create a walkthrough to test a RL kitchen design ... having a standard-sized SL avatar in that space was truly comical. There was no choice but to adjust the sliders and create a new avatar shape just to get through the doors. It gave me a sense of what challenges pro basketball players and other very tall individuals must endure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

if you match the statistics you can find your country :)

shelves in shops are even a horror if you'r taller...or smaller... the brand you want to grab is always on a low or to high shelf, they want you to take the middle one with highest margin (or higher marketing budget)

some modern averages:

the Netherlands : 183,8 cm 170,7 cm
Denmark: ]182,1 cm 168,2 cm
Iceland: 181,7 cm 168,7 cm
Germany: 181,3 cm 168,0 cm
Finland: 181,2 cm 167,0 cm
USA: 178,3 cm 164,1 cm
UK : 175,4 cm 161,9 cm
Japan: 168,6 cm 156,0 cm

Men? Women? or an average of both?

I am a German woman of 164 cm and that is (or has been some decades ago) - as far as I know - strictly average.

My avatar is 200cm and I like her that way.

They are on the smallish side,  as to not poke my camera out of the walls I have to zoom in pretty close to my avatar which blocks out a lot of my view.  I mean, I am being petty here, it is not absolutely horrible by any stretch of the imagination, I just prefer to be a bit zoomed out.  Alternatively, I can just do mouse look which is fine as well.  My default avatar is not by any means tall,  in fact I think I may be a bit shorter than most other people.  I use "My Eye view", which is great for customizing my camera so I don't have to constantly be reconfiguring it manually, so that is a bonus.  It even gives an option as to not to poke through the walls, but doing so makes walking around a bit wonky as the camera zooms in and out on its own.

But, the houses do look really nice, and 1024 in a nice box shape, that allows for skyboxes is a very welcome addition.  I actually purchased a petite avatar a couple of days ago along with a few cute outfits, just for this reason.  Now that 1024sq appears to me is as though I'll have 2048sq :)  Having the smaller avatar, takes care of screen real estate because there is just not as much of "me" there, to get in the way of my view.  I'm already planning on building a multi scene rez sky box, specifically catered to my petite avatar.  I'm looking forward to hours of fun, creating a variety of homes, scenes, and even a zombie shooter.  The house on the ground is not going to get very much use anyway.

Now, when I explore these houses with my new avatar, they are huge! 😂

Snapshot_142.png

Snapshot_143.png

Snapshot_144.png

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

My favourite house is Traditional - Winchester the two story one with the balkony. I took the measures of all the rooms.
Ground floor: Kitchen facing the street 5,5 x 6 m - the backroom (living room) with the terracedoor to the garden is 9x6 m
Upstairs there is one uge room 7x9,5m plus a spacy balkony (about 6x3m) - lots of room for furniture!

To find out wether my PixelMode kitchen would fit in I made a dummy of the kitchen floor with marked doors and windows:

Kitchen_Floor.jpg

Kitchen_PM5m.jpg

It fits in fine (the 5m version) plus the middle block.

The house is just perfect and in RL you would consider the rooms quite big, even if you are 200cm ;)

I tested the old Lindenhomes but they are FAR too large without seperate rooms - so you can just shatter your furniture anywhere - and they still look dead and empty!

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 2

I am old and set in my ways. To change camera angle is something I tried before, without success.

I must do it in several steps, I think. All tutorials that change the angle set it to so different that my head aches. I will try to change it to something almost like default, have that some weeks, adjust a bit more. I will try it.

• Like 2

I have changed my Roost kitchen. I set up a wall, didn't this room have 2 windows? I made a prim for the coffee machine, but that isn't necessary going to end up like this. I think I will use this table and chairs.

I have placed the oven and the sink there for a reason. The Roost kitchen has NO animations at all. But the 50 L kitchen from Maya's has a wash dishes animation in the sink, 2 cooking by the oven, and drinking coffee, knead dough, roll dough et cetera, in the corner between. I edited off the small root prim from Mayas kitchen and linked it to this kitchen. Voila! It took some editing back and forth to have the cooking pot and the other items rez correct, but not so bad. The kitchen itself is 9 LI now, and when I enable experiences, the props attach to me. It is very good animations.

The original kitchen has no animations to the ovens right side, it in only for food rezzing. I deleted the food rezzer.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mayas-Eliza-Kitchen-Animations-Props/15505838

kit 2_001.png

kit 2_002.png

Edited by Marianne Little
added a link
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am old and set in my ways. To change camera angle is something I tried before, without success.

I must do it in several steps, I think. All tutorials that change the angle set it to so different that my head aches. I will try to change it to something almost like default, have that some weeks, adjust a bit more. I will try it.

I use FS. So I save all my settings. I set my camera angle years ago and have never had to mess with it again as it's one of those settings that get saved when I do a backup.

I'm actually thinking of perhaps putting in a JIRA about this. Since moving to mesh and smaller buildings along with a trend toward having more average size avatars that perhaps now is the time that the default setting for the camera be changed to something more in line with the view of the avatar rather than a birds eye view.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Look for My eye view v3 on the marketplace, it is one of my favorite HUDs.  It has an easy interface to adjust your camera angle, 4 clickable slots you can save and load your preferred camera angles to (my favorite feature), and you can turn it off to restore your viewer's default view.   This one costs 99L, but they do have an older version available for free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Men? Women? or an average of both?

I am a German woman of 164 cm and that is (or has been some decades ago) - as far as I know - strictly average.

My avatar is 200cm and I like her that way.

first number males.. second female
those avarages are taken mostly from young adults,  pre 90's and earlier will be less tall. ( source is wikipedia)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.