Men Not Liking Men: The Shocking Truth about Male-Pattern Loneliness in SL!

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:09 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, because you were easy to talk to.

And I am very glad you did: I enjoyed our conversation. One day, hopefully, THAT will become the most important criterion guiding our choice of whom to associate with.

This has been my criteria for many years. Unfortunately, anecdotally speaking, I've had fewer such conversations with men than women. Though there's one that, while he's not on my FL, I do enjoy talking with whenever we meet. My theory has been that socially, women communicate in the particular medium of SL far more easily than men.*

*And before the hue and cry of 'not all men', yes, I know.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

My theory has been that socially, women communicate in the particular medium of SL far more easily than men.

I'd never articulate this publicly, of course -- and if you tell anyone I said it, I'll deny it vehemently -- but, yes, that's sort of my own sense too.

I have no idea why, nor even a coherent theory. And it's certainly true that I do have some very chatty men on my friends list, and a few women who are much less so, so it certainly isn't a universal truth (not that there's any gendered trait that is).

I'm sure that somewhere, someone has theorized that women are generally better communicators because they are "community-builders," work through collaboration and consensus, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but that seems pretty doubtful to me.

But if it is true that women, generally, are more adept or more open to text communication in-world, it might go some way to explaining whatever discernible difference there is in how men and women socialize in SL.

It's nice to see you again, Roxy, btw.

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sure that somewhere, someone has theorized that women are generally better communicators because they are "community-builders," work through collaboration and consensus, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but that seems pretty doubtful to me.

I think it's more that women are more likely than men to toss out tidbits not only of their knowledge, but also of themselves.

43 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's nice to see you again, Roxy, btw.

It's good to see you back. Even if I sometimes disagreed with you, I could be assured of a good debate. ❤️

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

My theory has been that socially, women communicate in the particular medium of SL far more easily than men.

Women communicate in ALL mediums far more easily than men :D

I'm reminded of a time when I sat in an armchair listening to my mother and another woman chatting. They smoothly moved from one thing to another, without even a hint of a break between subject matters. It flowed seamlessly for topic after topic after topic, and I sat there marvelling at the way they just did it. I couldn't do that then or now. So, imo, when compared to men, women are the masters of the chat type of communication in all mediums.

Any other type of communications, such as communicating something that the communicator knows about, everyone is just as good as everyone else. Some people are better at putting things into words than others but that's nothing to do with gender.

None of it has anything to do with men in SL being lonely though, as is suggested by the thread's title. I speak from experience when I say that I don't accept that men are lonely in SL, so the thread's title is wrong - imo.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

I am establishing the superiority of the alpha male when it comes to friends - as your OP asked in discussion.  What I wrote is a fact, and there are no alpha males who find this distasteful.  Alpha's survive on friendships and leadership.  My friends are my friends and there are other alpha's in our circle - we don't contend for superiority - we enjoy our friendships.

So, are you an alpha male? I'd understand if you'd need to check with Pep first - take your time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

None of it has anything to do with men in SL being lonely though, as is suggested by the thread's title. I speak from experience when I say that I don't accept that men are lonely in SL, so the thread's title is wrong - imo.

I think that this thread, if it has established anything, has at least demonstrated that the actual socialization of men in SL is extremely diverse, and that "loneliness," if it's an issue at all, is a a function of the individual's approach to community, rather than something that is gendered.

And that's great. I've learned something! That's kind of what this thread was about.

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think that this thread, if it has established anything, has at least demonstrated that the actual socialization of men in SL is extremely diverse, and that "loneliness," if it's an issue at all, is a a function of the individual's approach to community, rather than something that is gendered.

And that's great. I've learned something! That's kind of what this thread was about.

Yes, Scylla, you certainly sparked an interesting discussion!

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.