cloud based??

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

one can sort out thier invent without being in SL

Has less then Zero to do with the cloud.

That's offline access, or better a minimal live client.

Please don't use the term "cloud" unless you know what it means.

Edit: for that matter let's also not make a new paradigm of blockchain leveraged cloud access to facilitate the social integration of various methodologies.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

Has less then Zero to do with the cloud.

That's offline access, or better a minimal live client.

Please don't use the term "cloud" unless you know what it means.

If you're gonna call someone out, at least correct them, don't just leave it at "you're wrong." Explain what a cloud is.

That said, I don't know how useful this would actually be on its own. I'd rather have an extra set of tools for sorting your inventory.

Maybe if we could pull some kind of a fake copy of our inventory onto our local file system, sort it within the Windows OS and then push it back..

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Edit: for that matter let's also not make a new paradigm of blockchain leveraged cloud access to facilitate the social integration of various methodologies.

We need to reimagine sustainability of agnostic enterprise based solutions in our customercentric goals.

((I do not miss biz-buzz-speak at all))

As I understand it, our inventories are already "in the cloud"...they're stored on LL's inventory servers.

I'd think that it would be very possible for LL to provide us with access to our inventories via the browser...maybe as a new menu item in the Dashboard page.

I vote for this!  I never get very far with inventory maintenance in world.  A friend calls up, a tenant needs something, I get an ad for a sale.  Distractions, always with the distractions.

6 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Maybe if we could pull some kind of a fake copy of our inventory onto our local file system, sort it within the Windows OS and then push it back..

Many, many moons ago there was an inventory program that would pull your inventory into an Excel format.  You could then move things around as you wished, creating new folders even, and then push it back.  It didn't last long though - and apparently had all sorts of problems with inventories over some tens of thousands of items.  My memory is fuzzing on the specifics.  I tried it a couple of times but couldn't get it to work - it always timed out on me trying to pull my inventory.

Second thought on this - If I'm dealing with items that don't have pictures (an unboxed item or even one that has been unboxed but didn't come with a picture), then any out-of-SL view of my inventory is still mostly worthless.  Much of my unsorted stuff is clothing that need to be looked at - does that dress go in "long dresses" or "knee-length dresses" or "short dresses", etc...) or hair that also needs to be properly categorized.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many, many moons ago there was an inventory program that would pull your inventory into an Excel format.  You could then move things around as you wished, creating new folders even, and then push it back.  It didn't last long though - and apparently had all sorts of problems with inventories over some tens of thousands of items.  My memory is fuzzing on the specifics.  I tried it a couple of times but couldn't get it to work - it always timed out on me trying to pull my inventory.

Second thought on this - If I'm dealing with items that don't have pictures (an unboxed item or even one that has been unboxed but didn't come with a picture), then any out-of-SL view of my inventory is still mostly worthless.  Much of my unsorted stuff is clothing that need to be looked at - does that dress go in "long dresses" or "knee-length dresses" or "short dresses", etc...) or hair that also needs to be properly categorized.  

I acknowledge that not having visual representation would be a problem for many, but I also said "fake copy" as in, not the actual items. LL making a feature that allowed people to download the textures in their inventory onto their local machines would be a big no-no for the enforcing of permissions. Everything would have to be names-only, even textures.

The only advantage would be that the utilities available on Windows would make sorting even large quantities of files very easy. I'm not saying this is ideal by a long shot.

7 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The only advantage would be that the utilities available on Windows would make sorting even large quantities of files very easy. I'm not saying this is ideal by a long shot.

Well, SL's inventory window has pretty much the same sorting tools.  You can create multiple instances of the inventory window and drag items from one to another.  You can sort items by date, or alphabetically.  You can cut and paste. 

Hey!  You know how in Windows you can see file items (especially image files) with tiles, or little images?  Maybe LL could do THAT!  Then we wouldn't have to take photos of each new outfit or dress.  We could see, right in the inventory window, what something was!

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, SL's inventory window has pretty much the same sorting tools.  You can create multiple instances of the inventory window and drag items from one to another.  You can sort items by date, or alphabetically.  You can cut and paste. 

Hey!  You know how in Windows you can see file items (especially image files) with tiles, or little images?  Maybe LL could do THAT!  Then we wouldn't have to take photos of each new outfit or dress.  We could see, right in the inventory window, what something was!

Nnno. The in-viewer inventory system is extremely primitive compared to Windows. Yes, Windows has all the same tools as the SL inventory, but the SL inventory doesn't have even a fraction of the flexibility that a full operating system (Windows or otherwise) has.

Super simple example I sometimes wish I had. Let's pretend this is a snippet of my inventory:
3f5b6926e4.png

I want to rename all of these to some standard name, like "Snapshot (#)" where # is a sequential number.
So, in Windows, I'll select them all and right-click rename..
5d7484a39a.png

And I write "Snapshot" as the name of the first file and hit Enter. Every file gets named the same and duplicates are automatically numbered.
2de405a140.png

You can also just select one file to rename, and press Tab when you're done. Windows will automatically move down to the next file, ready for you to start typing a name for it. I would 100% use this to rename a lot of badly or inconsistently labeled items. Especially for clothes that have multiple versions for different bodies, for example (if these weren't no-modify):
b9d1520b1f.png

I would much rather have these items renamed to something like..

• Scandalize: Senuna
    • HUD - Waist
    • HUD - Fur/Top/Leggings
    • Freya - Leggings
    • Freya - Top
    • Freya - Top Fuzzy
    • Freya - Top Fuzzy 50
    • Maitreya - Leggings
    • Maitreya - Top
    • Maitreya - Top Fuzzy
    • Maitreya - Top Fuzzy 50

This kind of renaming (or folder creation, like by date) could even be done with a third-party app in Windows so it would become automatic. You could organize hundreds of thousands of items in seconds, or create rules so that only certain folders (and maybe or not the folders within those) would be organized.

TLDR and my point: The SL inventory system is terrible compared to the utilities you could have on an OS.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

3 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I'd love a way to not have to carry my entire inventory around at all times. It's like taking the spare room and three attics with me every where I go.

I can see the scene now if they did that

an evening of wining and dining, the evening turns more and more intimate then the man suddenly gets a panicked look patting his pockets searching as the sickening realisation dawns he left his "parts" in his other pants

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I can see the scene now if they did that

an evening of wining and dining, the evening turns more and more intimate then the man suddenly gets a panicked look patting his pockets searching as the sickening realisation dawns he left his "parts" in his other pants

Dare we ask how his other pants ended up in the attic?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.