History Repeating Itself ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I honestly don't have much trouble with lag though.

That is because...

No one will argue that the glut of undesirable mainland parcels are very low priced. You can't give those away!

And because...

the bulk of the land locked mainland that is a vast wasteland

But if you...

work toward making the mainlands a vital, affordable, and beautiful place to live.

Then it will lag like anywhere else...

There is plenty of laggy Madlands, look for the popular bits with loads of shops, clubs, hangouts, social areas, etc.

The coastal areas on Zindra for example, have some truly hellacious lagpits, while the more abandoned areas inland, are relatively low lag.

The Pointless Continent, Jeoflop, is VERY low lag, due to being an almost uninhabited waste of sims...

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I really wish the Lab would turn their attention into renovating the bulk of the land locked mainland that is a vast wasteland.

Yes. There are some huge abandoned empty areas in the middle of some mainland continents. All the activity is near roads. Adding roads through the big empty would help. And some trees and vegetation.

• Haha 1

I

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey Blush, maybe you didn't notice...land bots have been banned for years now, and so have ad farms!

Not sure if there's more than one type of land bot, but the type I'm referring to I've seen in action as recently as a year ago. I had obtained a nice collection of parcels in a region and when I decided to sell I set the main parcel since it was a nice 2048 and left the rest divided in case the buyer wanted the extra prims. When the buyer said they didn't have the extra sqm available I set the small parcel (512) for 1L per sqm.  Within 20 minutes a bot arrived and purchased the parcel. It's easy to recognize them. They don't talk to you even though you greet them as well as other indications. I've not really been doing much with land in the past year so can't say I've personally had an encounter with one in that time. If this is type of bot is banned then I suppose they need to be reported. 

22 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Within 20 minutes a bot arrived and purchased the parcel. It's easy to recognize them. They don't talk to you even though you greet them as well as other indications. 

While it may have been, if I am thinking (on an alt especially), I also completely ignore people.

Silence is never a good sign of a bot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

While it may have been, if I am thinking (on an alt especially), I also completely ignore people.

Perhaps you didn't read my full statement. "They don't talk to you even though you greet them as well as other indications.

I wasn't going on silence alone. I have experience with bots from way back. You can recognize them. Parcels of less than 144m were banned as well (ad farms) but you still see them in world. Just saying that just because something goes against TOS does not mean they do not still exist.

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey Blush, maybe you didn't notice...land bots have been banned for years now, and so have ad farms!

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

If you think that stops people creating multiple accounts and leaving them standing around on their land all day increasing traffic then you are more wrong than you can imagine. Traffic "bots" are very much so still a thing. I see them all the time In all kinds of places.  Groups of random avatars standing around on a random platform never moving or doing anything with faked out profiles that are there 24/7 doing nothing other than faking the amount of traffic a place gets. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PhantomPixel said:

If you think that stops people creating multiple accounts and leaving them standing around on their land all day increasing traffic then you are more wrong than you can imagine. Traffic "bots" are very much so still a thing.

The comment was about land bots, no?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Perhaps you didn't read my full statement. "They don't talk to you even though you greet them as well as other indications.

I wasn't going on silence alone. I have experience with bots from way back. You can recognize them. Parcels of less than 144m were banned as well (ad farms) but you still see them in world. Just saying that just because something goes against TOS does not mean they do not still exist.

Of course they exist Blush, but not answering your hi is not indicative of something being one. As to your other reasons, you didn't say what they were.

1 minute ago, PhantomPixel said:

same difference...land bots...traffic bots.....

No they are not the same difference. One is programmed to snap up land very fast, it's a technique land barons use to get rich. One is used to pad a parcel in legacy search.

Completely different purposes.

Just now, Callum Meriman said:

No they are not the same difference. One is programmed to snap up land very fast, it's a technique land barons use to get rich. One is used to pad a parcel in legacy search.

Completely different purposes.

I mean in terms of what he was talking about. Accounts stood around on the land, not doing anything, not responding, there all the time.....purely to increase traffic etc etc.

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

6 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Of course they exist Blush, but not answering your hi is not indicative of something being one. As to your other reasons, you didn't say what they were.

The only reason I even began to explain was because of Lindal's comment which made it seem that she believed land bots didn't exist anymore. In my initial comment referring to land bots I didn't not qualify why I knew it was a bot. So regardless of how I knew, the fact is that they do still operate in SL and land flippers are the ones who use them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhantomPixel said:

I mean in terms of what he was talking about. Accounts stood around on the land, not doing anything, not responding, there all the time.....purely to increase traffic etc etc.

I believe Blush is a very sweet creator and a lady, not a 'he'!

Yes, there are bots, I have two constantly in world myself not to increase traffic but to handle group invites, with that number jumping up substantially if I need to do things in a timely manner. But in terms of traffic bots, sometimes they are people who fall asleep at the keyboard and sometimes they are people who simply don't want to talk to you. To find and report those needs you to investigate for a few weeks, noting who is there for how long. Watch for someone who never talks there at regular times in regular positions.

In terms of traffic bots, they are not against TOS if they have the scripted agent flag on. In terms of true Landbots, their owners are easy to find... after it buys the parcel you watch and wait for the owner to appear and do all the group change work then list it for sale on their business alt at the higher price.

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

I believe Blush is a very sweet creator and a lady, not a 'he'!

In terms of true Landbots, their owners are easy to find... after it buys the parcel you watch and wait for the owner to appear and do all the group change work then list it for sale on their business alt at the higher price.

Yes, I am a she.

And your description of a land bot is oh so much better than mine. The not talking was just the part that set off my bot radar, but I would always follow up because as you pointed out not talking in and of itself is not a true indicator.

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

The only reason I even began to explain was because of Lindal's comment which made it seem that she believed land bots didn't exist anymore. In my initial comment referring to land bots I didn't not qualify why I knew it was a bot. So regardless of how I knew, the fact is that they do still operate in SL and land flippers are the ones who use them.

Oh, I agree they exist despite TOS. I've fallen to them myself Blush, they exist. I was selling some land to myself (moving it out of a group) and made the mistake of setting it to $1 but not setting the owner... landbot comes in and snipes the quarter sim for L$1 before I could cancel the sale. It then passed quite quickly person to person through maybe 5 or 6 rapid sales at slightly increasing prices (I guess to launder the bot) until it went on sale properly.

I'm a strong believer in the thought that's it's actually rather hard to judge who is a bot and who isn't based on silence. We just rubbed up on the words each of us says a little :D 

Sorry to mistake your words.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Why do you say parcels of less than 144 sq m are banned? The smallest parcel you can make is still 16 sq m. I could cut a parcel that size out of my land and sell it if i wished.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I didn't say they didn't exist...only that they are now against LL policy.  If you see one, report it.  (Land bots OR traffic bots!)

I'm sorry Lindal but I just don't think this is true in the case of land bots, or any other bot really unless it's on land set to Search (so the traffic statistic matters) and it hasn't been designated a "scripted agent" (so its presence isn't counted toward traffic).

Land bots also serve a useful purpose. They do bad stuff, too, but in lieu of the upcoming resident-to-resident auctions, land bots are the only alternative to abandonment for immediate tier relief at the bottom of the Mainland market.

10 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm sorry Lindal but I just don't think this is true in the case of land bots, or any other bot really unless it's on land set to Search (so the traffic statistic matters) and it hasn't been designated a "scripted agent" (so its presence isn't counted toward traffic).

Ah but a bot isn't a traffic bot if it's set as a scripted agent, regardless of what it appears to be, so the statement about traffic bots was correct ;)

ETA: And LL (Jack) did say to report what appear to be traffic bots, and they would ascertain whether they are or not. For some obscure reason, they chose not to let us see for ourselves what an avatar's scripted agent status is. They probably decided not to waste time on programming the addition of it to an account's profile, possibly due the haste in which they implemented it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Land bots also serve a useful purpose. They do bad stuff, too, but in lieu of the upcoming resident-to-resident auctions, land bots are the only alternative to abandonment for immediate tier relief at the bottom of the Mainland market.

I'm not sure why resident to resident auctions are seen as the salvation of mainland. Flippiers are residents too, they will still be able to outbid casual buyers.

And I think land bots were great. Set your land for sale at the trigger price and a land bot would show up within a few minutes and buy it, at least you got something when you had to abandon your land.

I still say abandoning land and losing the 1 L you paid for the parcel is a much better way to go.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

I still say abandoning land and losing the 1 L you paid for the parcel is a much better way to go.

I understand that you don't think any mainland should have any value, and that making a market of it somehow interferes with its appeal, detering folks from using it.

Some part of Mainland users may benefit from that approach -- a pretty perfect overlap with Linden Homes adopters, I suspect -- but in general, I think you're ignoring the majority of Mainlanders.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.