History Repeating Itself ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

47 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Perhaps that points to a simpler beautification project - god-mode some of the abandoned granite into grassland. All of those mountains turned out to be a mistake. There's no real reason why they all have to stay though. 

Agreed. The granite was a mistake that was obvious in advance.

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

There is a volcano somewhere on mainland that I hiked to the top of one time and stared down into a caldera of churning, fuming magma.

If you jump in you will die .. lol. My best friend just sold a couple parcels on that mountain. She made some good money on those parcels too. Mind you she's not a flipper and her asking price was reasonable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

Agreed. The granite was a mistake that was obvious in advance.

Granite is fine in small amounts. Obviously they should have set the transition altitude to granite at a higher elevation so that only the highest points had the granite texture, but hundreds of meters of flat granite terrain is  not very attractive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Granite is fine in small amounts. Obviously they should have set the transition altitude to granite at a higher elevation so that only the highest points had the granite texture, but hundreds of meters of flat granite terrain is  not very attractive.

All true, plus it's just not a good granite texture. Terrain textures really need updating as well as transition placement.

51 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

There are many giant boxes covering decent grass that I'd love to move to the granite.  I doubt they'd even notice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Mountains add visual interest. LL could turn some of that abandoned land into protected land and create parks, with hiking trails to the top.

There is a volcano somewhere on mainland that I hiked to the top of one time and stared down into a caldera of churning, fuming magma.

The volcano is probably Mahulu, on Sansara -- the oldest continent that was built-up over the longest time, but I think it all predates the really bad granite.

Even the granite can be saved somewhat when the terrain is randomly roughened-up a bunch. When flat, that strong pattern stands out across any expanse of repeats.

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Even the granite can be saved somewhat when the terrain is randomly roughened-up a bunch. When flat, that strong pattern stands out across any expanse of repeats.

Only to a small extent, because it's to do with height. Have a look at the Seymour sim. You can do a little on the fringes of the granite, but not so that it makes any sort of noticeable difference. From the sea, there's a thinish section of sand, followed by a wider section of grassland, which is quickly followed by a vast expanse of granite. It's ludicrous. I've had land in that sim for many years, but only because I only needed the sky.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 9/3/2018 at 4:48 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Have a look at the Seymour sim.

Finally got in-world to look... and that's not the same granite texture I was thinking about. It's pretty awful, granted, but there's even worse, with a more pronounced, contrasty pattern that shows repeats even more markedly. I'm not finding a great example of "boulder-rough" terraforming of it, but some hint of it is in the reverted terrain around http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Stinkhorn/221/228 -- but anyway I agree, there's no way to effectively reduce the hideousness, only to slightly help, and even then only at certain camera angles.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:38 AM, Conifer Dada said:

Haven't they heard of Second Life?  I saw this on the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-45275461/the-virtual-land-selling-for-millions

This isn't an advert by the way - I can't see it having much to interest me!

For some reason, I got on Decentraland's early mailing list and I made an account and got read for the launch of their beta, but then I read up on it and saw it required using bitcoin. And no way am I ever going to get involved with bitcoin. Why? Because I know real people who have made and lost fortunes with it -- and don't forget that the queen of bitcoin got her start in SL, was involved in banking scams here, and committed suicide in RL.

Usually what unscrupulous types do in the bitcoin came to make it seem like what they do is "science," is they call it "blockchain" and say this is "tech" and "math" and therefore if we criticize it, it just shows we are hopelessly muddled and stupid. Often you get people saying, oh, bitcoin may be a bust but the blockchain tech has a future blah blah. It's all a scam.

I was further made wary when I saw that this site got hacked before their big day, devaluing their product, and causing them to have to have a launch later. Eek. Then they had other strange announcements. I finally decided: "Not for us." Philip Linden Rosedale is a known quantity, an engineer back by VCs, with real coders helping him etc whose names are all known in the real world, that is a virtual world I'd get involved in. Or Free FSO which I've enjoyed. But not this sort of thing with no names or reps and weird things happening.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.