A little advice needed

Tisori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have been in SL for a little while and I see some of my friends moving to different communities then get tired of where they are and move to another . I was thinking maybe its 

time to see about finding a community and what its all about , but Im honestly not sure what to even look for . Im a little quiet at times, like exploring and have never tried rping in the game . But Im always willing to try . 

What communities would one suggest to a nooby who hasnt ever been in one, never really associated a whole lot, or even did the rp that so many enjoy . 

I honestly cant afford much so simple is good . If anyone has suggestions Im more then willing to listen . 

( I wasnt sure where to put this, so if it doesnt belong here in general I do apologize ) 

It sounds like maybe RP isn't your style, but you probably have a RL interest or a hobby that you could explore in SL.  You might take a class and learn new skills for building. There are artistic groups, musical groups, book study groups, library groups, recreational groups of all sorts (flying, boating, football, ...) .... groups for almost anything you might find interesting.  Search for one and find out what they do and where they hang out.  Also, a lot of people in SL are not "groupie" types, so don't feel compelled to "belong" to any group if that's not your preferred style.  It's just nice to know people we can relax around.  When I arrived in SL, I wandered into a library and ended up making some of my oldest and best friends in SL.  So, start with a common interest and see what happens, even if it's not a formal community.

• Like 5

I will say that if cheap, and by that I mean inexpensive, is your goal, most RP communities, or even communities, will not likely fit the bill, unless you're already into the type of RP done there. That's not a knock on these communities, but they most assuredly are not the most inexpensive areas available for living in. The reason for that is primarily related to the type of communities they are, the presence of other people, the presence of actual RP, etc..

I would echo what Rolig said, and find something that interests you, either in rl or even in sl that you've never gotten involved with, first. At least then you can test the waters so to speak, and figure out what you're really interested in doing. I am not certain that jumping right into RP is going to peak your interest as much as it might someone who already is involved, or interested specifically,  in some type of RP.  That's not to say you shouldn't, but you can RP loads of areas and not actually live there :) Sometimes we nee dour home away from our interests, to give us sanctuary, peace,a  time to not RP, etc...and someone just getting into RP might need that even more so than someone already in it (make sense?)

I've met far more people simply by doing things I enjoy, things that interest me in sl, things I can't do in rl but can in sl, etc.. than I ever have living in any community(and I have lived in a few over the years, on and off, though none specific to any type of specific RP, even those designated as such, lol). 

• Like 2

RP is not a requirement.  Do what you find fun, not what you think you should because it's what others do.  I hang out with friends, chat in the Wardrobe Support group, try my hand at designing, building and photography, shop, and explore.  Very little of that needs a community or rp.  

• Like 2

Don't force yourself into something.. There is a lot to explore..

That's how I find my niches..I'll throw in some search terms and then just start going down the list checking out things..

Heck just running into new people and talking  can give you ideas of news things..

I'd just scoot around checking out the world until something grabs ya.:)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tisori said:

I honestly cant afford much so simple is good

There used to be a Hobo community. They were not about buying but about teaching, making, giving and just hanging out. There's a similar community now, called Lollygaggers in the Agriopis region, I believe. They organize music events too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tisori said:

( I wasnt sure where to put this, so if it doesnt belong here in general I do apologize ) 

Well, there would be "making friends" but this is kinda more "general" than that LOL. You don't need much to look good in SL - there are even free bento mesh bodies and heads around for both sexes... (and weirder stuff too).

Do some free hunts, go to store and club opening parties, do the freaking weird events that happen all the time (next one on my "don't miss" list will be the Lovefest H.P. Lovecraft tribute event) chat with folks you run into, hang out at the community Infopoints (Caledon Oxbridge, Firestorm Social, Helper's Haven, NCI,...*)

Good point to start is "destination guide" (well at least for events - I never use it otherwise)

* named in alphabetical order

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions . I guess I need to figure out what Im looking to get from being in SL . It can be frustrating feeling lost and not sure which direction to start after watching people I know seem to find it so easily . 

I take my time and take to heart the suggestions . I honestly always thought if a person was part of a rp sim, they did have to be  a part of that . So knowing that you dont has helped . I was part of a family for a little bit, but not being use to it, i was told its not really for me . So i guess the biggest thing is trying to find out where to fit in . 

As I said, I will definately take to heart all the suggestions you have made and see what happens . there is alot to see and do ..i guess i need to slow down and take it one step at a time and see what comes my way .

25 minutes ago, Tisori said:

i guess i need to slow down and take it one step at a time and see what comes my way .

Yup.  Just like RL.  ;)

Everyone has been the new kid in town or the new hire in the office at least once.  As far as I can see, most of us aren't natural "joiners," but we figure things out after a while and good people find us. Just do what you enjoy and be open to friendships.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.