Grid wide abuse / con reporting

J4NE Zane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have had a person / persons asking me for money to buy an avatar, however I have discovered that this individual has over 40 alts. If each alt does this grid wide, they are conning people out of a lot of money. Abuse reports can only be filed and accepted on the sim or parcel where the abuse took place (I found that out to my cost a few years ago) How can I get this person banned from the grid?

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, J4NE Zane said:

I have had a person / persons asking me for money to buy an avatar, however I have discovered that this individual has over 40 alts. If each alt does this grid wide, they are conning people out of a lot of money. Abuse reports can only be filed and accepted on the sim or parcel where the abuse took place (I found that out to my cost a few years ago) How can I get this person banned from the grid?

I think all you can do is file abuse reports. I guess harassment is the only category that fits. I have been asked in many places for money, I just point out the buy L$ option and move on.  Nobody is getting my money

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Cindy :) That is the obvious answer, as well as banning all 40+ of them from my sim, but their accounts need to be deleted or their IP address banned.

But if they are not actually on my sim at the time, the abuse report will not be followed up.

Edited by J4NE Zane

My question would be if it really constitutes to fraud. They ask for money and do not make a promise to bring gain to the one giving money. So it would be up to the one gifting to decide if they want to make that substantial gift. Like i said: it is just my mind wondering. Not stating a fact.

And as Cindy said; i get asked for money quite a bit as well.

18 minutes ago, J4NE Zane said:

But if they are not actually on my sim at the time, the abuse report will not be followed up.

No.  All your AR does is say where the abuse occurred.   In almost all cases, the abuser has long since left that spot but the complaint is still valid and is investigated. By design, a person who submits an AR never knows anything about the outcome of an investigation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J4NE Zane said:

How can I get this person banned from the grid?

I doubt that you can.  If someone is simply begging people for money, that isn't fraud or abuse.  And just because they have an army of alts also doesn't really mean anything. Unless you can PROVE that each and every alt is committing fraud, you are probably out of luck on your desire to get them banned.

19 minutes ago, J4NE Zane said:

It looks like they are just going to continue to get away with it.

Begging is not against the TOS, so if that is all the person is guilty of, then yes, they will get away with it.

One question -- How do you know the person has over 40 alts? 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You do not have to file a report from any specific location.  When you open an Abuse Report, the location shown is the location where you currently are.  If the trouble happened somewhere else, you can override it by pasting in a SLURL.  If the trouble is not location-specific, such as your reporting a possible $L fraud-by-solicitation, you can leave the location set to whatever it is, and simply explain in the body of the report.

However, LittleMe is most likely correct.  Simply having a lot of alts isn't a violation, you'd have to actually prove he's using them to run a...well, a begging ring, I suppose.  And she's also right that simply begging isn't fraud.  The best response is probably to simply Mute/Block the beggar, and all the accounts you suspect of being his alts.  Ban them from your land, and tell all your friends to do the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, animats said:

So SL now has a homeless population.

Congratulations on stating something that everyone else has known about for the last 15 years...

Who knows... Tomorrow you might discover the flexi-prim, and bling scripts in shoes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.