"Linden Labs" in an unofficial group name and titles...

Berksey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm seeing a group profile with "Linden Labs" in the name, and the titles in the group all have "Linden Labs" in them. It is not an official group, but one made by a user.

I'm wondering if this isn't somehow against the rules, as it could mislead people into thinking people with those group tags are official employees of Linden Labs.

Should I report it?

13 answers to this question

• Lindens

Thanks for bringing this up, Berksey.  With so many groups already created and being created it's difficult for us to see issues such as this.  The best way to bring it to our attention is with an in world Abuse Report.  Now, I know what most of y'all are gonna say "Those never get looked at!!"  Well I'm here to tell you that is a load of breedable horse droppings, and I am sure there are several residents (who have been contacted by a member of the Governance Team) who would also disagree with you.  Our team of Governance agents work diligently reviewing those ARs and thoroughly investigating all credible reports.   

Thanks for submitting your report, Berksey!  We'll be looking into that shortly.  =)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• Moderators

Hi Berksey!

Please do report the group. 

This can be done by looking up the Group Owner and submitting the AR against the owner, or one of the owners, of the group.  It is not necessary to submit a separate report for each owner if there are more than one.

I do not believe that there is a specific option when submitting an Abuse Report for groups, so choose one that you feel is closest to the issue. 

I do recommend that the subject be changed to something like "Group Name Violation - "Group Name""  this way the  Governance Team will see immediately that you are reporting a group.

The extended information section can then be used to reiterate that you are reporting the Group Owner for the Group name, or if you are reporting group charter information, you can then include a copy of the group charter text. 

If you are unable to determine who the group owner is, please submit the Abuse Report on Governor Linden and include the above information about the group name or charter in your report.

Thank you SO much for your attention to issues such as this and your desire to help keep things on the up and up in Second Life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Several members in the group, all several years old, I'm thinking they should know better. One group tag in it is "LL Care Service", which is dodgy at best, the rest actually have the full name Linden Labs in them.

They don't have a specific AR category for this, but hopefully someone will actually read my report.

EDIT: And thank you, Rolig.

Edited by Berksey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Berksey said:

I'm seeing a group profile with "Linden Labs" in the name, and the titles in the group all have "Linden Labs" in them. It is not an official group, but one made by a user.

I'm wondering if this isn't somehow against the rules, as it could mislead people into thinking people with those group tags are official employees of Linden Labs.

The fact that they spell "Linden Lab" wrong, would be enough of a giveaway for some but not everybody would notice so yes, report it.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

@Dakota Linden how do we report such groups? Under what category? And what if there is not one group but HUNDREDS I can file one AR but after 5 I kinda get lazy ;)

Hi Fionalein!

I included information on how to report the group in my reply to this thread above. 

It isn't necessary for 1 person to report every group that might be in violation, but if everyone would take the time to report at least 1 group when they see it during their in world time, the Governance Team will be able to address them all, eventually, and word of mouth will also spread among the users and group owners, and group members, as well, when the groups start disappearing. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Dakota Linden said:

Hi Fionalein!

I included information on how to report the group in my reply to this thread above. 

It isn't necessary for 1 person to report every group that might be in violation, but if everyone would take the time to report at least 1 group when they see it during their in world time, the Governance Team will be able to address them all, eventually, and word of mouth will also spread among the users and group owners, and group members, as well, when the groups start disappearing. 

OK I'll report one then and include a description on how to find dozens of more in inworld search (not wanting to adress them in public as they practice TOS breaches)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

If you are unable to determine who the group owner is,

Even if you can't see member lists in a group, the top of the group window always shows the name of the group creator, which is a clickable link to their profile.  Report that person.

I sent the report, I'm Berksey's alt. I logged into the forum as my main by mistake, lol.

Anyway, glad to know I did the right thing, thank you guys for checking it out.

I used the "Fraud" category, explained it was someone I saw in a group chat, and looking at their profile (because I actually read profiles) I discovered the dodgy thing. I reported the group owner, and the group is on display in their profile.

I also have a screencap on my computer of my screen with both the user profile (with group showing) and the group profile open to the relevant details. I don't know if that counts but I have it.

Incidentally, I left the group I initially saw the user posting in, because I was sick of the constant spam in group chat (plus I had just been compelled to report this person, and it made me not want to be in the same group with them), but it's a large and popular one, and easy enough to find again; they made my avatar.

And for what it's worth, I always knew you guys existed, and really do care, I met Kona in Linden Realms, and he was super polite and professional; I know you guys are real, and thanks for being there.

And thank you, ChinRey, I myself should know how to spell it properly, too. xD

Edited by PheebyKatz
Bad grammar and spelling.
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.