Can Maitreya Cover My Midriff?

TaiVelikova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For some amazing reason, it seems to not be possible to buy a Maitreya shirt that can be worn under a jacket and tucked under blue jeans (or any type of slacks).  You must must must have a bare midriff, or else have a dress that is worn over your slacks.  Has a law been passed by evil male politicians  that women are required to show their midriffs?  I don't dress that way in RL, so why can't I have a normal tee-shirt or blouse in SL?    Does anyone have a way around it, other than reverting to the legacy avatar ?  Thank you.  

The problem with layering mesh clothes affects system bodies just as much as mesh bodies. To layer two mesh garments, what I often do is wear one of them in a standard fixed size (S/M/L etc.) and the other in a fitmesh size, and then adjust my shape so that the fitmesh garment expands/shrinks in the right places, until there is no more interference between the two.

Of course there is also the option of wearing an applier top, which eliminates that problem.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 2

I've run in to the same problem bought a really nice vest/kimono combo from one of the shopping events I can't wear it with maitreya fit trousers with out my bum poking through or some clipping on front but if I opt for my old standard sized trousers there will be a size that doesn't conflict I now really appreciate it when a pair of jeans or trousers includes standard and fit mesh sizings 

I do have other maitreya fit separates and a bit of midriff on show seems to be the only option especially if the pieces don't come from the same store or there's no other sizes included

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaiVelikova said:

I don't dress that way in RL, so why can't I have a normal tee-shirt or blouse in SL?

Angeoco pretty much nailed it.
There is no really simple solution for this problem. Do it the way she described, if you want to edit your shape very often.

I also search a lot for casual clothes to look like RL and mostly i have to face the same problems.
Sometimes i use a belt to cover the ugly part where the pants clip trough the bottom of the shirt.
Or you could head for a more or less complete outfit. Then you can be sure (after you tried the demo) that pants and blouse are made for each other.

Maybe you like something like this?
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/hh-Lenny-Tucked-Shirt-Pants-Set-HUD-Driven-v2/7094415

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaiVelikova said:

Has a law been passed by evil male politicians  that women are required to show their midriffs?

That's where you went instead of the non-fluid properties of mesh?

Here's a wee experiment to help understand why mesh separates rarely play well together: Rez a mesh shirt on the ground. Observe how it stands up by itself. Now try to do that with a RL shirt.

The characteristics which mean a RL shirt falls to the ground in a pile of folds is why that shirt fits under a jacket and tucks into trousers.

Mesh doesn't have that flexibility, the computational costs would be far too high. Because trousers are close fitting, there's an exceptionally narrow range of what will fit in close to the waistband and look normal. Unless creators are going to agree a standard SL waistband, bespoke pairings are the only way to guarantee two mesh pieces play well together.

There are more options with untucked shirts & jackets - both in the way they're created and through the clever tricks discussed above. A bare mid-drift eliminates the problem. It might not be an elegant solution but it is an easy one and that accounts for at least some of its popularity.

Appliers are really just system clothes for mesh bodies. If you were able to put together the kind of outfits you wanted with system tops before, then appliers should be a good solution for your mesh body.

• Like 1

It's not limited to being an issue just with Maitreya (It's not the body's fault).

I spent a large part of the fall shopping for jackets and coats before coming to terms with the idea of a jacket or coat with an included shirt or dress was good, and that applier leggings were fine to wear.  I do have a nice collection of coats and jackets now, though.  I probably won't need to buy any next fall (unless, of course, there is some really cute new style.... )

I didn't think about trying standard size pants with a coat - I may try that next time I wear a longer coat.  

Edited by moirakathleen
  • Like 1

Sure you can. I’m one of those people that mix and match clothing all the time.

The best thing to do is get items from the same designer. Those have the best chance of being mix/matched.

Thats not always ideal. So the next thing you want to do is look to see if the mesh space to layer items. It is possible, but you want items that were designed to be layered to begin with. Obviously if you bought a jacket, it was modeled to be worn over some type of shirt. Think like that.

Your next option is also good! Some designers make clothes that have the option to be tucked in or out, etc. Blueberry and Addams have options like that. Addams has a shirt/leotard that at the click of a button becomes just a shirt. Some other designers do this too. Those pieces are handy for layering.

The last alternative: it’s ok to layer applier clothing with mesh. I had a sweater dress I thought would look cuter with some leggings and boots. But I couldn’t get it to work with all mesh. Some applier leggings solved the problem.

• Like 2

Use appliers. Problem solved.

Buy a pack of tank tops or tube tops in different colors. The underwear and clothing layers of a mesh body follow this close, and so in 90% cases the applier clothes will not clip through the meah clothes worn over. (The number 90% was just something I made up. There are mesh clothes that clip through the body and when you alpha out the body, you can not alpha out the clothes layer.)

So try to search "Maitreya appliers" under Apparel in the Marketplace, filter on tops. You can also search for Omega appliers, but that should not be necessary. Maitreya is a popular brand.

• Like 1

And buy some applier leggings and jeans while you are at it.  I have a pretty good accumulation of all of the basics in applier clothing now.

Truthfully, because so many of the mesh pants (for ladies, anyway) cut off at the ankle, you often cannot easily tell without closer inspection whether the pants someone is wearing are mesh or applier.

• Like 3

picks up the poor shirt and folds it nicely

5 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

Remember when most system tops were just on the shirt layer and stopped just short of the pants? So many exposed belly buttons.

Now the belly piercing industry has completely collapsed like Bitsy's shirt, a crumpled lump on the floor.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

I may have rezzed around the time shirt tails on extra layers started then. I vaguely remember too short system tops and thinking the problem was my noobness. :$

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 9:27 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

There is no really simple solution for this problem. Do it the way she described, if you want to edit your shape very often.

I also search a lot for casual clothes to look like RL and mostly i have to face the same problems.
Sometimes i use a belt to cover the ugly part where the pants clip trough the bottom of the shirt.
Or you could head for a more or less complete outfit. Then you can be sure (after you tried the demo) that pants and blouse are made for each other.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/hh-Lenny-Tucked-Shirt-Pants-Set-HUD-Driven-v2/7094415

I didn't mean literally that the shirt has be physically tucked in, just that it is difficult to find clothes that cover the body..   It can be done however.  I now have a kind of undershirt called "Norma" from Alaskametro, that covers the midriff and looks great with whatever jacket or top I want to wear.  So it can definitely be done.   

4 minutes ago, TaiVelikova said:

I didn't mean literally that the shirt has be physically tucked in, just that it is difficult to find clothes that cover the body..   It can be done however.  I now have a kind of undershirt called "Norma" from Alaskametro, that covers the midriff and looks great with whatever jacket or top I want to wear.  So it can definitely be done.   

oh 

On 2/5/2018 at 9:27 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Oh, and thank you for the link.  Yes, that is a  nice example of clothes that fully cover.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.