A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This happened today. This was my day.

C6F0173F-1F20-460A-B8F8-CBD832415DF0.jpeg

I do hope those are not your dirty cabinets.

I'm sitting here kind of half giggling because of the cabinets and the cleaning products in the background of the first image.

As for the husky... give him/her somewhere they can see out of the windows from the floor. They will lose interest in jumping on furniture/counters to see out. They still have enough wolf blood that you can't treat them the same way you do other domestic dog breeds. They do not respond in the same manner. 

Of course, when they are initially raised outdoors, there isn't much you can do to break the habit of climbing on things for a better view of their surroundings, except for providing them with something you won't mind getting torn up.

28 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I do hope those are not your dirty cabinets.

I'm sitting here kind of half giggling because of the cabinets and the cleaning products in the background of the first image.

As for the husky... give him/her somewhere they can see out of the windows from the floor. They will lose interest in jumping on furniture/counters to see out. They still have enough wolf blood that you can't treat them the same way you do other domestic dog breeds. They do not respond in the same manner. 

Of course, when they are initially raised outdoors, there isn't much you can do to break the habit of climbing on things for a better view of their surroundings, except for providing them with something you won't mind getting torn up.

He’s getting neutered Thursday. Those cleaning products are just for urine. The cabinets aren’t usually that dirty. I’ve had this foster 2 days.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

He’s getting neutered Thursday. Those cleaning products are just for urine. The cabinets aren’t usually that dirty. I’ve had this foster 2 days.

I was teasing you about the cabinets.

I agree with Maddy. Run, puppup, run!

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This happened today. This was my day.

C6F0173F-1F20-460A-B8F8-CBD832415DF0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The girl is getting spayed Friday. 

61619234-B8B8-4CD1-930B-11EF3B27B5B7.jpeg

My hubby is drooling over your huskies.  He misses our babies a lot, but his work schedule is really not conducive to doggies right now.

• Like 1

goodness is he ok?? I've heard bonded pairs can be difficult. When we started talking about getting a dog 4 years ago and a co-worker had the litter of 9 unwanted puppies, hubby who never dealt with a puppy before in his life wanted to get 2 from the same litter. I quickly won that argument, thank goodness, and I often reminded him of it when we were house training the one we did get LOL

Hubby showed me a picture today of a beautiful female brown dobie who looks to be only 6 months or so. Sadly there just isn't room in the bed for a 3rd potentially 70+ dog. I almost needed a chiropractor this morning after the boys hogged the bed all night lol

1 minute ago, Clover Jinx said:

goodness is he ok?? I've heard bonded pairs can be difficult. When we started talking about getting a dog 4 years ago and a co-worker had the litter of 9 unwanted puppies, hubby who never dealt with a puppy before in his life wanted to get 2 from the same litter. I quickly won that argument, thank goodness, and I often reminded him of it when we were house training the one we did get LOL

Hubby showed me a picture today of a beautiful female brown dobie who looks to be only 6 months or so. Sadly there just isn't room in the bed for a 3rd potentially 70+ dog. I almost needed a chiropractor this morning after the boys hogged the bed all night lol

Yes, he’s ok. The smaller one couldn’t follow because she’s too small to jump on the counter.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Male husky jumped through the glass kitchen window today. After which, crate training started. All is ok.

OMG - glad doggy is ok. I'm assuming this happened while you were gone, thus why crate training is now happening?  If they don't jump/climb fences, can you leave them outside while you are gone?

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

OMG - glad doggy is ok. I'm assuming this happened while you were gone, thus why crate training is now happening?  If they don't jump/climb fences, can you leave them outside while you are gone?

I was at work. Can’t leave them outside due do digging, even with special prep. Found out the hard way.

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was at work. Can’t leave them outside due do digging, even with special prep. Found out the hard way.

Ahh, one of our first huskies was a digger.  He only dug along one fence edge though - we think he wanted to go play with the neighbor's dog.  We ended up lining that edge with an extra deep layer of river rocks, which did eliminate the digging problems.

We had another than would jump the fence, but he couldn't jump the full height from the ground.  He could only jump at a location that had a bunch of firewood near the fence, thus cutting the 6 ft jump down to a 3.5-4 ft jump.  Moving the firewood took care of that one.

They are resourceful critters, to say the least.  Out of the 4 huskies we've had over the years, only one was ever crate trained and she came to us crate trained.  The others were all much older dogs and we apparently suck at crate training because we never managed to get it done.  Luckily we were able to fix any outdoor problems and so we were able to always leave them outside whenever we weren't home.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The others were all much older dogs and we apparently suck at crate training because we never managed to get it done. 

My current problem foster is 7, I’m scared that if crate training doesn’t work, I will let someone else adopt the pair.

My first 2 huskies were diggers, until I lined the fence with chicken wire, covered with rubble and cinder blocks, held in place by rebar. That didn’t work for this husky. I can make more improvements, but if he can’t (yet) be trusted alone in the house, I shouldn’t give him freedom of the yard either; previous owners raised them outside, that’s all they know.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My current problem foster is 7, I’m scared that if crate training doesn’t work, I will let someone else adopt the pair.

My first 2 huskies were diggers, until I lined the fence with chicken wire, covered with rubble and cinder blocks, held in place by rebar. That didn’t work for this husky. I can make more improvements, but if he can’t (yet) be trusted alone in the house, I shouldn’t give him freedom of the yard either; previous owners raised them outside, that’s all they know.

I draped a blanket over the crate which helped turn the cage into a cozy cave that was much more pleasant for everyone. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.