Dillon Levenque

A Derail Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Black Mirror season 5 released today on Netflix.  Just saying........

Does it get better after the pig episode? I’ve only seen that episode and was scarred (not really, but you know what I mean). 🐷

Eta: I can’t believe it’s on season 5 already! Where have I been? The pig episode was season 1 I think.

Edited by Eva Knoller
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Does it get better after the pig episode? I’ve only seen that episode and was scarred (not really, but you know what I mean). 🐷

Eta: I can’t believe it’s on season 5 already! Where have I been? The pig episode was season 1 I think.

I probably liked the pig episode the least of them all, though there were a few others across the years that weren't great.  I have a rule of giving all new series at least 3 episodes before making a decision whether to continue or not.  I was intrigued enough after the first season of 3 episodes to watch more - and glad I did.  Like most series, there are episodes that I like better than others, but overall, I like the series.  Some of the episodes definitely show where society could end up if it continues along some directions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2019 at 3:29 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Mine will point up or can be curled to point down but will never point back.

Mine too.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

By pointing up slightly, my thumb points towards me easily.

Thumb?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

By pointing up slightly, my thumb points towards me easily.

0D234DAF-6AA2-4730-876B-9A38A0BD6763.jpeg

Love, that thumb is not pointing at you. It is pointing up. The tip bending back a bit doesn't count as pointing.

Besides, you aren't pointing so much as you are about to shoot an imaginary pistol. :PxD

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Love, that thumb is not pointing at you. It is pointing up. The tip bending back a bit doesn't count as pointing.

Besides, you aren't pointing so much as you are about to shoot an imaginary pistol. :PxD

We can agree to disagree. When a finger points, you look at the tip not the pad. Why would thumbs be different?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We can agree to disagree. When a finger points, you look at the tip not the pad. Why would thumbs be different?

Thumbs are not fingers.

Although thumbs have certain similarities to fingers, there are some key differences. It’s therefore more accurate to describe a thumb as one of five digits that we have on each hand, rather than as a finger. Some are obvious: all five digits on our hands are jointed and have nails on one surface of the uppermost joint, and a unique pattern of fingerprints (or thumbprints) on the other surface of that joint. However, the thumb only consists of one joint and two bones, whereas the other four digits have two joints and three bones. The thumb is set lower on the hand and apart from the fingers.  The thumbs of humans and other primates (such as chimpanzees) are opposable: we can move our thumb to face and touch the other digits of the same hand, which enables us to carry out a wide range of manual actions that animals with non-opposable digits are unable to perform.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When a finger points, you look at the tip not the pad. Why would thumbs be different?

Thumbs are not fingers.

Although thumbs have certain similarities to fingers, there are some key differences. It’s therefore more accurate to describe a thumb as one of fivdigits that we have on each hand, rather than as a finger. Some are obvious: all five digits on our hands are jointed and have nails on one surface of the uppermost joint, and a unique pattern of fingerprints (or thumbprints) on the other surface of that joint. However, the thumb only consists of one joint and two bones, whereas the other four digits have two joints and three bones. The thumb is set lower on the hand and apart from the fingers.  The thumbs of humans and other primates (such as chimpanzees) are opposable: we can move our thumb to face and touch the other digits of the same hand, which enables us to carry out a wide range of manual actions that animals with non-opposable digits are unable to perform.

Didn’t address my question with regards to “pointing” thumbs vs. fingers. Do you think you point your thumb with the pad, and not the tip? If so, just because it’s shorter with less joints?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Didn’t address my question with regards to “pointing” thumbs vs. fingers. Do you think you point your thumb with the pad, and not the tip? If so, just because it’s shorter with less joints?

People point with fingers (even though it's considered rude), not with thumbs. In some cultures the lips or chin are used to point, not thumbs. I've never heard of a culture where thumbing pointing is/was used instead of finger pointing.

So which are we discussing? Thumb pointing or finger pointing? Or are you trying to tell me you are all thumbs? :ph34r:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

People point with fingers (even though it's considered rude), not with thumbs. In some cultures the lips or chin are used to point, not thumbs.

Are you including the many and varied Italian hand gestures? I don’t believe your statement, sorry. Unless you tell me you are a cultural anthropologist, then fine.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Example gesture with thumb: bartender makes a fist, thumb up, points to the door WITH THE THUMB, and tells the bouncer to “throw the bum out”. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

If I'm a passenger in a car, giving directions to the driver, I'll point ahead with my left index finger and to the left, right, or behind with my left thumb. In other venues, if I'm pointing to a person (Selene's scenario, I think), I'll use my right index finger. If I'm angry at them, I'll point with my right foot. If I'm really angry, I'll connect with my right foot.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Example gesture with thumb: bartender makes a fist, thumb up, points to the door WITH THE THUMB, and tells the bouncer to “throw the bum out”. 

I've seen a lot of guys get tossed out of bars. Not once did I ever see a barkeep or a bouncer do that. That only happens in the movies and on tv.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you including the many and varied Italian hand gestures? I don’t believe your statement, sorry. Unless you tell me you are a cultural anthropologist, then fine.

What part of "I've never heard of" did you not understand?

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've never heard of a culture where thumbing pointing is/was used instead of finger pointing.

You didn't answer my question:

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So which are we discussing? Thumb pointing or finger pointing? Or are you trying to tell me you are all thumbs? :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Phil? Is that you? I am asserting that thumb gesture/pointing is equivalent to finger pointing. Remember The Fonz? Always gesturing / pointing his thumbs upward.  I can’t tell if you don’t like being wrong (Phil?!) or just can’t see my point of view. 

I was clearly comparing finger vs. thumb pointing, as you earlier disputed. You are not doing your argument justice. At all. *sigh*

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Phil? Is that you? I am asserting that thumb gesture/pointing is equivalent to finger pointing. Remember The Fonz? Always gesturing / pointing his thumbs upward.  I can’t tell if you don’t like being wrong (Phil?!) or just can’t see my point of view. 

I was clearly comparing finger vs. thumb pointing, as you earlier disputed. You are not doing your argument justice. At all. *sigh*

Had you made it clear, from the beginning that you were discussing both, as opposed to discussing thumb vs finger, then I wouldn't have responded. 

Like everyone else, I do not like being insulted. Especially when it isn't called for. Which, of course, it never is. I'm sure you disagree with that as well. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Are we trying to summon Phil from the fog of time?  I have his beach ball in my default inventory.

latest?cb=20060405201717

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Erwin Solo said:

Are we trying to summon Phil from the fog of time?

Not that Phil.  I think is about another Phil who retired from this forums to RL.  Sometimes known As Phil  The Pedantic. Phil How Come Some People On Here Want To Poke Their Eyes Out After Reading My Posts.  Phil I Am The Total Voice Of Logic And Reason And Its Just Too Bad That Nobody Like Ever Accepts This. And other such attributes that would wear out least 3 keyboards if they were all typed out :D

the Phil who when you did meet him inworld was actually quite a nice person. But when on forums became Phil The Unrecognisable

• Like 5

Only five to go for you!  I'm frankly turned off by the forums since I got called the M-word over in a parallel thread, but I'm on a mission. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

Only five to go for you!  I'm frankly turned off by the forums since I got called the M-word over in a parallel thread, but I'm on a mission. 

me too!

91 to go now :)

i am saving my 499 post for a special event :D

Edited by Mollymews
91 lol
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

91 to go now :)

Aye, I was reading the wrong number. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Had you made it clear, from the beginning that you were discussing both, as opposed to discussing thumb vs finger, then I wouldn't have responded. 

Like everyone else, I do not like being insulted. Especially when it isn't called for. Which, of course, it never is. I'm sure you disagree with that as well. 

giphy.gif

Goodness! I did not mean to insult you. On the contrary, I respect you a lot. You even anticipated what I may say with the Fonz (who obviously uses his thumbs to point). Forgive me?

2C4F082F-6409-435E-ACC0-B58A0EF72E6A.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 6:35 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Goodness! I did not mean to insult you. On the contrary, I respect you a lot. You even anticipated what I may say with the Fonz (who obviously uses his thumbs to point). Forgive me?

2C4F082F-6409-435E-ACC0-B58A0EF72E6A.jpeg

Finally getting a round tuit and even though we've already covered it...

0ee.jpg.5dcf593f2a256d7f8a6c9281478fad6d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been listening to eighties music today. It's my husband's fault. He started it, listening to it on Spotify.

He walked into the living room, where I was (am) and said, suddenly, "OMG!"

As I turned to him, he was approaching me slowly, looking at my face, studying me, inspecting me."

He brushed his fingers against my cheek. He touched my chin with his thumb.

Then he said "Oh Honey! Your face! This music... it's... it's making you younger."

• Like 3