Jump to content

A Derail Thread


Recommended Posts

My derail post of the day - a news article that made me truly gag.

Temp.jpg.258499e874118fabe830f4b5d4dc6cff.jpg

"Smartmouth Brewing Company brewed up a new IPA using marshmallows just like those colorful, dehydrated chunks of sweetness you'd pick out of the Lucky Charms box. It's called Saturday Morning, because that's what Saturday mornings used to be for: Rushing downstairs at an ungodly early hour early to pour yourself the first of six bowls of sugary cereal while watching bad cartoons on the WB. Ah, the good old days."

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My derail post of the day - a news article that made me truly gag.

Temp.jpg.258499e874118fabe830f4b5d4dc6cff.jpg

"Smartmouth Brewing Company brewed up a new IPA using marshmallows just like those colorful, dehydrated chunks of sweetness you'd pick out of the Lucky Charms box. It's called Saturday Morning, because that's what Saturday mornings used to be for: Rushing downstairs at an ungodly early hour early to pour yourself the first of six bowls of sugary cereal while watching bad cartoons on the WB. Ah, the good old days."

Cranky cantankerous oldster (not me) would say "When I was that age we didn't have the WB.  We had to watch first run bad cartoons on ABC, NBC and CBS!  And we had to walk to school 17 miles in the snow and the rain! But Lucky Charms were still magically delicious!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Cranky cantankerous oldster (not me) would say "When I was that age we didn't have the WB.  We had to watch first run bad cartoons on ABC, NBC and CBS!  And we had to walk to school 17 miles in the snow and the rain! But Lucky Charms were still magically delicious!

We didn't have a TV at all. Sunday morning was for bacon and eggs and muffins. The only cereal I had was some multi grain stuff that Mom and Dad couldn't eat because it gave them gas. And though I loved it as a child, I can't eat it now because...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Cranky cantankerous oldster (not me) would say "When I was that age we didn't have the WB.  We had to watch first run bad cartoons on ABC, NBC and CBS!  And we had to walk to school 17 miles in the snow and the rain! But Lucky Charms were still magically delicious!

We didn't have the WB channel when I was a kid - just the 3 main ones you listed.  We sure as heck had a lot of Warner Bros. cartoons though, many of which probably couldn't be shown today because they are too violent or politically incorrect in one way or the other. 

 

19 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The only cereal I had was some multi grain stuff that Mom and Dad couldn't eat because it gave them gas. And though I loved it as a child, I can't eat it now because...

The only cereal I liked as a kid was Grape Nuts because it took forever for it to get soggy in milk and I detested soggy cereal.  I'm not really a cereal person as an adult, though I do like freshly cooked oatmeal (not any of that packaged flavored crud).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only cereal I liked as a kid was Grape Nuts because it took forever for it to get soggy in milk and I detested soggy cereal.  I'm not really a cereal person as an adult, though I do like freshly cooked oatmeal (not any of that packaged flavored crud).

I ate Grape Nuts dry. It was so much fun to get to the bottom of the bowl and have nothing but sugar. I'd probably kill anyone who tried to eat that stuff dry within earshot of me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We didn't have the WB channel when I was a kid - just the 3 main ones you listed.  We sure as heck had a lot of Warner Bros. cartoons though, many of which probably couldn't be shown today because they are too violent or politically incorrect in one way or the other. 

 

The only cereal I liked as a kid was Grape Nuts because it took forever for it to get soggy in milk and I detested soggy cereal.  I'm not really a cereal person as an adult, though I do like freshly cooked oatmeal (not any of that packaged flavored crud).

yeah, we watched the same stuff.  And they had all those sly impersonation references to adult personalities that we didn't have a clue were in there, yet later we all knew what Jimmy Cagney and Ed Sullivan sounded like for some odd reason.  I remember grapenuts. I didn't like cereal much as a child either. sickeningly sweet soggy mush.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

yeah, we watched the same stuff.  And they had all those sly impersonation references to adult personalities that we didn't have a clue were in there, yet later we all knew what Jimmy Cagney and Ed Sullivan sounded like for some odd reason.  I remember grapenuts. I didn't like cereal much as a child either. sickeningly sweet soggy mush.

There was a weird cereal I liked, Kellog’s Concentrate. Mostly sugar. Discontinued in the 70’s. Basically pre-cooked oats and sugar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I ate Grape Nuts dry. It was so much fun to get to the bottom of the bowl and have nothing but sugar. I'd probably kill anyone who tried to eat that stuff dry within earshot of me.

I’m sure I ate them dry too, was “allergic” to milk as a child, and the only replacement in those days was Rich’s Coffee Whip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked Looney Tunes, especially Bugs Bunny and The Roadrunner.  But my favorites were the Jay Ward cartoons...Rocky and Bullwinkle, and George of the Jungle.  I can still sing the theme songs for George, Tom Slick, and -- best of all -- Super Chicken!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I liked Looney Tunes, especially Bugs Bunny and The Roadrunner.  But my favorites were the Jay Ward cartoons...Rocky and Bullwinkle, and George of the Jungle.  I can still sing the theme songs for George, Tom Slick, and -- best of all -- Super Chicken!

Mine too!  I especially loved the Fractured Fairy Tales.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am left in suspense! Surely, you’re not bothered by a little gas?

That kind of gas and a naked flame don't mix.......

The boys in college used to light up until one day one had a blowback. The smell was memorable, as was his ring of fire. ;)

 

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Was Schrödinger wrong? I ask because doesn't the cat always know whether it's alive or not?

Haven't you ever watched The Sixth Sense?

 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...