How do I get inventory for my In-World store

KenZweifel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

19 answers to this question

It sounds like your very best move is to NOT DO ANYTHING until you have been in SL for a while and understand how things work.  Your questions so far tell me that you don't have the faintest idea what you are doing yet. Before you invest a lot of money in renting land, buying buildings and stock, and setting everything up, take a few months to wander around in world to see how things work.  Read a mess of articles in the Knowledge Base (link at the top of this page).  Take a free class in land ownership and management at Caledon Oxbridge University today.  If you don't do all the research ahead of time, you will get frustrated and lose a lot of money.

BTW, you should know up front that most shops in world are run by creators who make their own stuff.  You should also know that the days when you could make a lot of money in land are long past (and dealing with renters in SL can mean a lot of work, dealing with renters and with griefers -- much like in RL). It's not a role that you'll want to leap into until you have some street smarts.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KenZweifel said:

I want to rent a store building and sell clothes.. how do I get inventory? I don’t create my own stuff. I’m not looking to make USD, just Linden.. thank you 

if you don't create, you'll have to buy it first.

Be sure it's at least "transfer" .

Make deals with creators to become a reseller, but most likely you will get only vendingmachines.

13 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you don't create, you'll have to buy it first.

Be sure it's at least "transfer" .

Make deals with creators to become a reseller, but most likely you will get only vendingmachines.

So I just buy things from the Market and put them in my store? Will I be able to set the price?

Just now, KenZweifel said:

So I just buy things from the Market and put them in my store? Will I be able to set the price?

If you buy full perm stuff to resell you will have to check the merchants Terms of Service for reselling.  They are all different

If you use an affiliate vendor they set the price, you get a percentage

And if you buy stuff and then resell it and claim that you are the creator, you can get in trouble for violating the creator's intellectual property rights.  Before you decide to get into that game, be very sure that you and the creator have an agreement.  When you buy something from a creator, you are not buying the right to ownership of the creation.  You are buying that particular instance of the creation.

30 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

If you buy full perm stuff to resell you will have to check the merchants Terms of Service for reselling.  They are all different

If you use an affiliate vendor they set the price, you get a percentage

So how would I go about renting out a building? I don’t have a building I’d need to buy one so do I need to buy land?

The other thing --- possibly more fun -- would be to buy GACHA clothing and resell in a gacha store mall. So you would buy the items (usually 50 to 75 lindens each) via a gacha machine (lots of events) and then you could resell at a higher prices to folks that wanted a certain color say and didn't want to gamble by playing a bunch of times. Lots of folks do this and have fun and even make some money.   No issues with reselling then or original creator rules, as gachas are always transfer. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

You can buy land and buy a building or you could rent space in a mall using their buildings

Well another idea I had was to rent out a property but I’ve never done it before so I’m looking on Marketplace for buildings for sale and I made sure the Copy, Modify, and transfer were all checked.. one building I was looking at said Ready to use no unpacking, land or sandbox required. Does that mean it’s already on land and when I buy it I can put it up for rent 

9 minutes ago, KenZweifel said:

Well another idea I had was to rent out a property but I’ve never done it before so I’m looking on Marketplace for buildings for sale and I made sure the Copy, Modify, and transfer were all checked.. one building I was looking at said Ready to use no unpacking, land or sandbox required. Does that mean it’s already on land and when I buy it I can put it up for rent 

No, it just means it doesn't come boxed. It will be in a folder.  You will still need land to rez it

Wow, I would really love to rent from such a knowledgeable landlord! :/

Seriously though, you at least need to have experience of being a tenant yourself, of knowing how rentals operate, the prices involved, automated renewals, landscaping and furnishing. There's a lot more than simply buying land and plonking down a house on it.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 5

Ken, PLEASE re-read angeoco's reply.  Making money in SL is a lot harder than it might appear at first, and there are many pitfalls for the newcomer.  The two major ways to make money are either renting out land (with or without a building on it) or creating and selling content...clothing, or just about any imaginable type of thing.

Both these approaches involve quite a bit of learning, some monetary risk, and a large investment in time...with no return guaranteed.

I always tell people, if you are thinking about doing something in SL because you'll make a lot of money, DON'T.  Only do things that you love for their own sake, not their profit potential.  Then, if you DO wind up making money, it's a nice bonus...but if you don't, it will still have been fun.

• Like 2

Nobody's put a price tag on land rental yet, so I'll do it. Should you decide to become a landlord, you'll have to pay out US$195-295/month for a full region. And that's after a one time setup fee (or mainland auctioned purchase price) that could be as high as US$600. The only way to make money on such an investment is to add value in the form of theme creation, landscaping, and marketing that allows you to subdivide the land and rent to multiple tenants at rates sufficient to cover your costs. That's terribly difficult.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I always tell people, if you are thinking about doing something in SL because you'll make a lot of money, DON'T.  Only do things that you love for their own sake, not their profit potential.  Then, if you DO wind up making money, it's a nice bonus...but if you don't, it will still have been fun.

THAT is the bottom line.  For all but a very few people, Second Life is not a place to earn a living. It is a place to relax, experiment and learn new skills, make friends, establish an alternate identity, explore, .... Treat this as a vacation home or a hobby workshop, so expect that you will have some expenses.  If you have some marketable skill as a creator or a performer, or if you are willing to put a lot of time and are lucky, you may earn enough L$ to offset some of those expenses, but don't count on it. Mostly, enjoy yourself.  9_9

Just an example...I spent about an hour today changing the settings on a tenant's window blinds so that passing strangers couldn't open them, and adding my tenants' friends and alts to their doors' allowed lists and their rental boxes, and sending them group invitations.

I enjoy taking care of my tenants, but the time does add up!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.