Possible to use a skybox without owning or renting land?

LexxiXhan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I picked up a freeibie pack from the Sn@tch Outlet store - and it included a skybox and some furniture. (Yay!)

But...can I even use it with owning or renting some land? Or are there public or group-owned areas where they can be used?

Edited by LexxiXhan
(Yay)

There are places that are abandoned and you can squat on that land. The problem is that your house will be there one day and gone the next. When I bought my first piece of property the previous owner had set the land to allow anyone to build. There was a squatter there; I gave the guy  days notice and then returned all his stuff. A friend of mine had a whole sim to himself for  months. He used it like a great big sandbox. So it is possible to find a place on a temp basis. I do not think it is really wrong to do this but I can see how others might think so.`

@LexxiXhanMost have told me that they find it by wandering around. My friend found the sim by just going sim to sim until he found one. You have to check the land by right clicking and reading the about land. Then read the options tab. The important one is that the land is set for everyone to build.

option.JPG.5bdacf964119938caae0451fdbf437fb.JPG

Edited by JoeDex

1 hour ago, LexxiXhan said:

@JoeDex: how might I go about looking for abandoned land?

And is squatting considered bad form?

If the land has been abandoned and is in Governor Linden ownership you wont be able to build on it and you wont be able to rezz something on land set to public build and move it over to the abandoned land if the abandoned land in my home sim is anything to go by

@Claireschen Hesten Abandoned as in the owner is not using it right now not abandoned as in owned by Linden Labs. Also to your second point I just did this on the abandoned land next to my home. Maybe its a sim by sim thing. The point is that by diligently seeking out property you can squat for a short period of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

you wont be able to rezz something on land set to public build and move it over to the abandoned land if the abandoned land in my home sim is anything to go by

I'm pretty sure that this one depends on the land's "object entry" setting.  If that is set to 'everyone', then you could rez something outside of the sim and then move it in.  Some people will leave that set to 'everyone' so that people can fly through. However, if they are smart, they also have auto-return set so any object brought onto the land that is not part of the land group is returned rather quickly - thereby negating the effect of trying to put some type of house or skybox there.

4 hours ago, LexxiXhan said:

And is squatting considered bad form?

Many people consider it bad form, yes. But if a landowner switches autoreturn off, they essentially invite anybody to use the land any way they like and you have the right to assume they mean it. And as long as you don't build anything that ruins the view for the neighbors and don't overload the sim with scripts or such, it's simply nobody's business but yours and the landowner's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree with ChinRey, be a low-impact squatter and you are less likely to raise people's hackles.

If you are up for a challenge look for people with a yard full of dead breedables or who still have their Christmas Decorations up in August (I see a surprising number still in my travels) and who have also allowed build. Keep your skybox very high up, and don't overbuild and I think it's not so much bad form.

People in SL can be weird at the best of times, so You need to accept that you may end up finding yourself banned on the parcel, or shouted at, if the land owner returns and is less than friendly.

• Moderators

Greetings All!

Squatting is theft of resources. 

The squatter is using resources (prim allocation) that belongs to another user or group. 

If you do this on Estate land, you run the risk to being banned from every region that the Estate Owner controls.  If this is a large land owner, you can find yourself banned from hundreds of regions. 

If this is done on Mainland, you run the risk of having your Second Life account suspended, or even terminated, if you are reported multiple times for the same offence. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

If this is done on Mainland, you run the risk of having your Second Life account suspended, or even terminated, if you are reported multiple times for the same offence.

I see what you mean of course and I actually agree with you.

But from a practical point of view, you can't actually build anything in SL unless the landowner allows it. Maybe the owner is altruistic enough they want to let others use their spare prim quotas. And if you get an AR, maybe the landowner wants revenge on a former friend or renter who sued to have permission to build there.

I obviously don't want squatters on my land and I make sure it's not possible for anybody to build there without my permission. It's very easy to do - just set up a minute or two of autoreturn. If you're paranoid, you can also switch off object entry and building for other people. If I get the land settings wrong and somebody manages to sneak in some rogue build, it's my responsibility as a landowner and my fault. It's easy enough to correct the mistake the moment you're aware of it too, just return any unwanted items and correct the parcel settings.

One problem of course is that there are many unattended no-autoreturn parcels scattered around in SL. Those parcels will slowly but surely fill up with stray prims and other garbage and they are great bases for griefers to operate from. Is that really better than some squatter using the plot for an unobtrusive skybox?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Do you have reference to the specific section of the TOS/CS that specifies that squatting will see you banned please Dakota?

19 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

I have to agree with ChinRey, be a low-impact squatter and you are less likely to raise people's hackles.

If you are up for a challenge look for people with a yard full of dead breedables or who still have their Christmas Decorations up in August (I see a surprising number still in my travels) and who have also allowed build. Keep your skybox very high up, and don't overbuild and I think it's not so much bad form.

People in SL can be weird at the best of times, so You need to accept that you may end up finding yourself banned on the parcel, or shouted at, if the land owner returns and is less than friendly.

Why should someone be friendly to a squatter? Of course they should be booted and banned instantly. They are stealing.

I must say I'm awfully surprised to see Dakota Linden's statement here. I think it does represent an interpretation of the TOS about overuse of resources, but I'd like to hear more about it.

Yes, as a landowner, it's my responsibility to remove squatters, especially given that I have open groups. And they usually become visible to me fairly quickly because they haven't paid for a parcel. They might squat in the commons areas or land preserve, but I'm always maintaining these areas and if I see lots of prims used up or all of them gone, I can look for squatters. Sometimes they try to lay out houses between lots so that their prims might not show up on one lot, or perhaps you might think they're a friend of an existing paying tenant. But you catch even these types. I agree with ChinRey that the bigger problem is the acres of abandoned land without autoreturn. It can be hard to get the Lindens' attention on these but sometimes they will deal with them if they have grief objects on them.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

I am on a Private Estate where because of sailing we allow people to rezz objects. With regularity squatter skyboxes are returned, combined with an Estate wide ban.

Let’s break no bones over this, these people are parasites. Someone is paying for the prims on that land. We have a policy of keeping approx 700 prims per sim free for rezzing of ships. If one of these squatters put a skybox of 600 prims, those unpaid for prims t prevents us from rezzing our ships. A ban and report to LL is not excessive.

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 11:28 PM, Pamus Bing said:

I am on a Private Estate where because of sailing we allow people to rezz objects. With regularity squatter skyboxes are returned, combined with an Estate wide ban.

Couldn't you set an appropriate auto return to prevent this? Just to save yourself the trouble of checking and returning stray skyboxes and such.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, Hintswen Guardian said:

Couldn't you set an appropriate auto return to prevent this? Just to save yourself the trouble of checking and returning stray skyboxes and such.

No, because that would solve the issue and then they won't be able to have a gripe about it on the internet ;)

Never underestimate people's love of having a problem. 

As an aside, squatting was an objective of mine for ages. It *was* the game for me- find some land and rez a skybox on it. I don't think I would have made it so far to have spent so many L$ if I hadn't had that fun objective to begin with. 

Edited by mortalum

5 hours ago, mortalum said:

As an aside, squatting was an objective of mine for ages. It *was* the game for me- find some land and rez a skybox on it. I don't think I would have made it so far to have spent so many L$ if I hadn't had that fun objective to begin with. 

Psh, come back when you've made a profit from squatting (by selling items there) :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.