Question

Thornycroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

• Moderators

Hello Thornycroft! 

The only way to get banned from Linden Lab/Second Life is if you violate the Terms of Service. If your "being rude" doesn't violate any part of the Terms of Service, then you will have no issue.  

If you have any questions about the Terms of Service, here is the link for you to review it: https://www.lindenlab.com/tos

-Corky Linden

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Thornycroft said:

can you be banned from SL if too many people report you for being considered rude? because I am worried that LL would ban my account again cause I say things that people find rude when I'm only joking and i am not meaning to be rude

It is very unlikely you would get kicked out of SL by  Linden Lab for just being rude, that being said maybe it would be good NOT to be rude (well, duh).  They CAN ban anyone for anything. It is their platform. 

You can EASILY BE BANNED from sims for any reason at all and rude would definitely qualify. I suggest you work on your jokes and perhaps find a better way to be funny -- especially since from your post that doesn't seem to be working LOL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

It is very unlikely you would get kicked out of SL by  Linden Lab for just being rude, that being said maybe it would be good NOT to be rude (well, duh).  They CAN ban anyone for anything. It is their platform. 

You can EASILY BE BANNED from sims for any reason at all and rude would definitely qualify. I suggest you work on your jokes and perhaps find a better way to be funny -- especially since from your post that doesn't seem to be working LOL.

it's just that Australia has a different culture to America

2 minutes ago, Thornycroft said:

Every place does.  That's why we learn to be sensitive when we are in an international community.  ;)

Chic's right, though.  Unless your rudeness rises to the level of harrassment, Linden Lab will treat is as a dispute between residents and will ignore any ARs about it. But, yeah, don't do it just because you can get away with it.   I have had many polite, jovial friends from Oz, so I know it's possible.

• Like 3

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Every place does.  That's why we learn to be sensitive when we are in an international community.  ;)

Chic's right, though.  Unless your rudeness rises to the level of harrassment, Linden Lab will treat is as a dispute between residents and will ignore any ARs about it. But, yeah, don't do it just because you can get away with it.   I have had many polite, jovial friends from Oz, so I know it's possible.

I am polite it just that sometimes people take me the wrong way

4 minutes ago, Thornycroft said:

Gotcha.  So maybe the trick is to anticipate what the wrong way looks like and squish it before they get there.  :)  Good luck.  At least we all speak more or less the same language.

14 hours ago, Thornycroft said:

I am worried that LL would ban my account again 

LL will not ban you for being rude.  If you were banned before, it was for a different reason - possibly your continued 'rudeness' is being taken as harrassment or something else was going on.

You know, most people manage to figure out how to communicate in life without ticking the majority of folks off.  If you are having issues with many of the people around you, you should really work on your communication style.  Being from a different country is no excuse - people from the US and Australia manage to get along all the time. How people interpret and react to what you say is as much your responsibility as it is theirs - more so in a world where nobody can see your body language.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL will not ban you for being rude.  If you were banned before, it was for a different reason - possibly your continued 'rudeness' is being taken as harrassment or something else was going on.

You know, most people manage to figure out how to communicate in life without ticking the majority of folks off.  If you are having issues with many of the people around you, you should really work on your communication style.  Being from a different country is no excuse - people from the US and Australia manage to get along all the time. How people interpret and react to what you say is as much your responsibility as it is theirs - more so in a world where nobody can see your body language.

it is true that I'm an ex-troll and will never intentionally troll or grief somebody I have learnt my lesson I am just little-worried people may get butthurt over what I say I don't mean to be rude just people are taking me out of context and worried that LL might take action on my account again

13 hours ago, Thornycroft said:

My best friend is an aussie,  I am from Liverpool.  Our constant insult trading is a source of amusement to everyone and ourselves.  The things I say to him I wouldn't dream of saying to others and likewise from him to me.  Our humour just matches.  Its a type of sarcasm but also self depreciating not everyone gets it no matter where they are from.  That being said I know what not to joke about with him  and what subjects to never touch on and vice versa.

You just need to be aware of who you are joking with/about.  If you deliberately choose to joke with someone about something you know hurts/is not funny to them/is against their beliefs then its not funny anymore and is trolling.  LL won't ban you for this but sim owners/managers can and will.  There is actually a huge difference between rudeness and joking and I think we have all at some time said something unwittingly that is rude to someone, we learn from it, apologise and don't do it again. 

43 minutes ago, Thornycroft said:

it is true that I'm an ex-troll and will never intentionally troll or grief somebody I have learnt my lesson I am just little-worried people may get butthurt over what I say I don't mean to be rude just people are taking me out of context and worried that LL might take action on my account again

If people get insulted from what you say, learn from it and do not say such things to those people again.  After practicing this a bit, you'll get the hang of what types of things should and should not be said in the places you are hanging out.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:33 PM, Thornycroft said:

So, have you learned anything from that?

Teasing and joking are not necessarily perceived as polite by other cultures. Teasing Chinese and Japanese about their ancestry is usually seen as an insult. If you are unaware of these things you are creating the problem. Thinking your culture is "superior" starts to fit in with the definition of racism and certainly arrogance. Neither of which is seen as polite by most everyone.

As to being banned... rude is not covered in the ToS. However, disturbing the peace is. If you bother enough people the repeated abuse reports will start to disturb the Linden Support personnel's peace. At some point, they may decide to ban you. I would expect you'll get a warning first unless you are being excessively obnoxious and generating a flood of Abuse Reports.

The infrequent mistake in social etiquette is nothing to worry about. I also doubt they will report you if you honestly apologize for the ignorance of their culture... unless they think you insulted Mohammed. Then you go on a death list somewhere. 

You have to decide if you are thinking everyone must change to accommodate you... or that it is OK for you to do what you want, how you want, without regard for others...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.