Returned inventory

Vickiex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello i wonder if anyone can help me and explain this 

I had some items returned to me in world , but the message i received via email said 

your object named has been returned to your folder lost sand found by (???) 

about 40 + of my object were returned to me and all said by (???)

why does it not show the name ? i have blamed for removing these items which i didn't do so wanted to find out why it shows (???)

17 minutes ago, Vickiex said:

Hello i wonder if anyone can help me and explain this 

I had some items returned to me in world , but the message i received via email said 

your object named has been returned to your folder lost sand found by (???) 

about 40 + of my object were returned to me and all said by (???)

why does it not show the name ? i have blamed for removing these items which i didn't do so wanted to find out why it shows (???)

Sometimes the system doesn't read the name properly when sending that message, it's usually just a glitch. (the name not being sent that is, not the items being returned) 

I'm honestly not sure why it does that(the glitch that is), I've had it give me ???s before instead of names for things, but it doesn't happen all that often.

No one types out that return message to you. It automatically gets sent whenever someone either manually returns your items or your objects were located on a parcel set to auto-return after a set time period. The ??? is probably from an auto return. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

No one types out that return message to you. It automatically gets sent whenever someone either manually returns your items or your objects were located on a parcel set to auto-return after a set time period. The ??? is probably from an auto return. 

Even auto returns usually tell you who, or what, returned the items, but, not always, lol. I have never understood what causes the system to glitch and give a ??? return, but it does now and then. It's usually just a one off, unless the sim or the grid is having some seriously bad issues.

Ages ago, when things were going wonky on the grid, lots of names would show up as ??? for a while. I don't know if it still does that or not, it's been a while since I've seen it. 

7 hours ago, Vickiex said:

i have blamed for removing these items which i didn't do so wanted to find out why it shows (???)

The phrasing of this isn't very clear, but you appear to either be saying you want to know who is to blame for returning these items, or that you feel whoever did it is blaming you for rezzing them in the first place (because they have returned them).

With that ambiguity in mind - as well as your question about the '???' - I'm going to ask you: where were these items originally rezzed out inworld? On your own parcel? On someone else's? In a sandbox? If you don't know (and especially if they've come back to you as a coalesced object) then go to a sandbox and re-rez them. Just from looking at them (and their placement in relation to each other in the case of a coalesced object) you should be able to tell where they were originally rezzed.

After that, it's a case of going to that place and either checking the land settings, or contacting the parcel owner to find out if they were changing parcel rezzing permissions in any way at the time of the return. If the parcel is group-owned then it may be that anyone in the group (either an officer or another member with sufficient permissions) was behind the return.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

The phrasing of this isn't very clear, but you appear to either be saying you want to know who is to blame for returning these items, or that you feel whoever did it is blaming you for rezzing them in the first place (because they have returned them).

Maybe I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion but I assumed the OP meant to say 

"i have been blamed for removing these items which i didn't do so wanted to find out why it shows (???)"

10 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Ages ago, when things were going wonky on the grid, lots of names would show up as ??? for a while. I don't know if it still does that or not, it's been a while since I've seen it. 

It still does from time to time - in things like About Land, group IMs, and such.

Edited by Phil Deakins

14 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Maybe I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion but I assumed the OP meant to say 

"i have been blamed for removing these items which i didn't do so wanted to find out why it shows (???)"

Interesting. The items were returned to the OP - she said that. So, if she's been blamed for their return (for removing them from where they were), it would mean that they were on group land, or on land that's owned by a partner or friend, or something like that. I fancy it's a partner or friend who's been playing with land settings, inadvertantly causing the items to be returned, and then saying, "Why have you taken your stuff? Don't you love me any more?" We'll get to the bottom of this if we keep analysing :D

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

they were on group land, or on land that's owned by a partner or friend, or something like that. I fancy it's a partner or friend who's been playing with land settings,

This all sounds about right to me. There's some third party, anyway, who is blaming our OP for removing some items that were in fact returned to her. It's usually auto-return (somebody changed land-owning groups or added a non-zero auto-return interval or something) but it could have even been that the stuff encroached on a neighboring parcel and the neighbor decided to tidy up.

I think we've already established that the "(???)" happens at random, more or less, and no further investigation can reveal who "(???)" was this time.

It was rented homestead ,rented by myself and another woman for the purposes of a group the items were set to a group,and only group members were allowed on the parcel

And it was only my items returned (not all of them , just a large number of them )

The neighboring sims were also owned by us 

The person who returned your stuff had the ability to do so. The land is group-owned so anyone in the group who has right ability could do it. Check the group abilities of those in the group. It wouldn't have been a Linden, so one of them did it, whether intentionally or not. Nobody else could do it.

Or maybe the other woman did it intentionally to cause a drama, hoping that you'd quit and she'd have the islands on her own. Just a wild thought that came into my head.

Hmm, you know, a couple other ways come to mind that might get stuff returned. One is if the stuff is (momentarily) buried deeply under fresh terraforming.

Another (which doesn't happen as easily as it used to) is when the total Land Impact of the sim or parcel jumps above the maximum, forcing something to be returned. What's supposed to happen is that the most recently rezzed stuff gets returned first -- or maybe not, if it's older stuff that's suddenly undergone that huge Land Impact boost, perhaps by accidentally giving Materials-related properties to Prim-based objects, or resizing Mesh, etc. There's an elaborate rule about how this is all supposed to work, but I'm not real confident that actual sim behavior is always completely consistent with the rule, whatever it is.

Edited by Qie Niangao

16 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Another (which doesn't happen as easily as it used to) is when the total Land Impact of the sim or parcel jumps above the maximum, forcing something to be returned. What's supposed to happen is that the most recently rezzed stuff gets returned first -- or maybe not, if it's older stuff that's suddenly undergone that huge Land Impact boost, perhaps by accidentally giving Materials-related properties to Prim-based objects, or resizing Mesh, etc. There's an elaborate rule about how this is all supposed to work, but I'm not real confident that actual sim behavior is always completely consistent with the rule, whatever it is.

Yeah this is still a problem.
I accidentally returned half a region & had to get a rollback.
The region was one big parcel that was group owned & access was limited to group.
Build was enabled for everyone.
A lot of stuff on the region wasn't rezzed under the land group.
I rezzed a tortured torus under the land group & slapped a material texture on it, which inflated the LI to a ridiculous value, ~30k LI.
All the objects not rezzed under the land group (various owners ugh) were returned because the region was full.
I guess my high LI object took precedence on the region because it was rezzed under the land group.
The high LI object wasn't returned until after all the non-group objects were returned.
Lesson learned & now I'm more careful.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I don't know if other viewers have this, but in Firestorm's Preferences under Firestorm->Extras, check 'Always rez objects under the land group if possible'.

It has saved me a lot of trouble finding and fixing incorrect groups. Unfortunately I tend to park myself in one place and build anywhere in the region. Objects I rez are then set to the land group for the parcel I'm on.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.