Do sim owners know when i am using two avis

NikkiKytten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys :)

Sometimes I log in with two accounts simultaneously: my brother's and mine. He allowed me to do it (his avi is awesome :b) so I can rp with two different characters with other people.
I'd like to know if sim owners or admins can find out that those two avis belong to the same person (for the ip, any SL software etc)
Thanks.

Edited by NikkiKytten

19 minutes ago, NikkiKytten said:

I'd like to know if sim owners or admins can realise those two avis belong to the same person (for the ip, any SL software etc)

It is not possible for anybody but Linden Lab themselves to get your IP address through the Second Life software.

However, media streaming and music streamign are external services and if you have one of those switched on, it may be posible to get your IP address that way. If you are concerned about that, simply switch those functions off. An IP address is not a reliable way to identify somebody but there are a few "anti griefer" hoaxes that use the method and a few landowners who are fooled into believing it works.

That being said, if you are going to rp with two characters at the same time, you really should the sim owner about it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It is not possible for anybody but Linden Lab themselves to get your IP address through the Second Life software.

However, media streaming and music streamign are external services and if you have one of those switched on, it may be posible to get your IP address that way. If you are concerned about that, simply switch those functions off. An IP address is not a reliable way to identify somebody but there are a few "anti griefer" hoaxes that use the method and a few landowners who are fooled into believing it works.

That being said, if you are going to rp with two characters at the same time, you really should the sim owner about it.

Thank you for answering. Of course LL are able to know they control everything hehe. But as long as I am not bothering or griefing anyone I think there is no problem ( I know people that use the same just for griefing and troll other people and avoid ban)

And I did not say anything to owners I am using two avis because I was afraid of being ejected if they found out. I think it may or may not happen, each sim owner may have different point of view about that.

46 minutes ago, NikkiKytten said:

And I did not say anything to owners I am using two avis because I was afraid of being ejected if they found out. I think it may or may not happen, each sim owner may have different point of view about that.

otherwise than in a serious total roleplay setting i see no reason at all to tell anybody about a second, third, forth... or more accounts. As long you dont troll or grief... it's yóur business.

• Like 3

Perhaps not by technical means, but playstyle and your manner of writing, character movement and other subtle hints might be a giveaway for anyone who keeps a little closer look on you. 

I don't mean that in "do not try this, you will be caught" way, just dropping a hint in case you haven't thought of those aspects yourself. :)

Both as a player and as former RP mod/admin, I don't mind multiple characters at all. Though I actually even prefer to know if one player has multiple characters, might come in handy for planning plots and such. 

The bigger question is why this matters. Your writing style is likely to be the same, and you can generally only control one avatar at a time, so it would be possible to suspect it. But why would that matter? Why would a sim owner care if you are using two avatars? About the only two concerns I could think of is if there was limited space on the sim that you are taking up, or because you are playing by yourself instead of interacting with others on the sim. But unless doing that is a problem, I don't see why someone would have an issue with it.

9 hours ago, NikkiKytten said:

Hi guys :)

Sometimes I log in with two accounts simultaneously: my brother's and mine. He allowed me to do it

Just to make you aware, that sharing accounts is against the TOS and is one of the things that can get you exiled from SecondLife. If you want to play an alt you should make one of your own, not use your brother's.

36 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Just to make you aware, that sharing accounts is against the TOS and is one of the things that can get you exiled from SecondLife. If you want to play an alt you should make one of your own, not use your brother's.

I agree that was definitely true some time ago, but apparently things have changed as I wrote something like this maybe two years ago and was "proven" wrong.  So only a VERY carefully reading of the CURRENT terms of service can say what is the rule now. I didn't see anything on this in the  last one, but if you can point to it I would definitely like to know.

And to the OP, along with all the "you REALLY have to be good to play the alt game" (I know as someone has tried it on me and failed a few times :D) since you posted here it is certainly possible that the sim owners NOW know you are running too accounts.  I sympathize somewhat if this is a para sim since (for me) that is beyond yawnsville and I could likely run three alts and do it well (RL actress at one point) but I SO DON'T CARE LOL.

All I can find in the TOS is a warning about giving out your password:

You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for restricting access to your Internet Device. You are solely responsible for any harm resulting from your disclosure, or authorization of the disclosure, of your password or from any person's use of your password to gain access to your Account or Account Name. You will immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your Account, password or username, or any other breach of security related to the Service. At no time should you respond to an online request for a password other than in connection with the log-on process to the Service. Your disclosure of your password to any other person is at your own risk.

However, as someone had posted in another thread, there is also this blog post:

Which specifically says:

We want to remind everyone that giving another Resident access to your account or account information, by any means and for any reason, is both dangerous and not permitted by the Terms of Service. An account is intended to be used solely by its creator, and keeping your account details secret and secure helps you keep it that way.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

All I can find in the TOS is a warning about giving out your password:

You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for restricting access to your Internet Device. You are solely responsible for any harm resulting from your disclosure, or authorization of the disclosure, of your password or from any person's use of your password to gain access to your Account or Account Name. You will immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your Account, password or username, or any other breach of security related to the Service. At no time should you respond to an online request for a password other than in connection with the log-on process to the Service. Your disclosure of your password to any other person is at your own risk.

However, as someone had posted in another thread, there is also this blog post:

Which specifically says:

We want to remind everyone that giving another Resident access to your account or account information, by any means and for any reason, is both dangerous and not permitted by the Terms of Service. An account is intended to be used solely by its creator, and keeping your account details secret and secure helps you keep it that way.

So as I read read the top quote in your post, I see nothing FORBIDDING a user from giving out their password, only that it is the user's responsibility. A typical wording in that CYA way that much of the TOS is.  Like this for example: You will immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your Account. (My bold.)   It doesn't say that anyone has to notify LL for AUTHORIZED use. 

I do see the info in the blog post which  isn't a legal document. The TOS  is of course a legal document that we agree to so that would lead me to believe it takes precedent. 

So two different "official" comments which are not the same and  that isn't that unusual.

I am certainly not advocating users sharing their accounts. I do however know that lots of businesses have shared alt accounts for all sorts of purposes and this has been going on for some time (years) .

It would be great if we had definitive answers (that were enforced) on so many things. We  however do not.  :SwingingFriends:

Not arguing, just my point of view. 

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So only a VERY carefully reading of the CURRENT terms of service can say what is the rule now. I didn't see anything on this in the  last one, but if you can point to it I would definitely like to know.

Not sure where you people have been looking because it's always been there, is still there, easy to find and pretty unambiguous to boot. No 'careful' reading needed at all:

"4. ACCOUNT REGISTRATION AND BILLING

"...You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab. "

https://www.lindenlab.com/tos

Edited by wesleytron
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.