Poseballs! Or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As Blaise said, poseballs can be very useful for model posing.

Apart from that, temporary poseballs are a minor nuisance. You'd rather not have them but no big deal.

Permanent poseballs littering the scene can be a major nuisance.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

This is really interesting as a lot of people prefer no poseballs in furniture and yet there's a lot of stores that still make furniture with poseballs or still sell their old stuff with poseballs. 

I can understand poseballs in poses. That doesn't bother me.

I am a case of 'Spoiled' and have my own furniture supplier who keeps me updated with AVsitter compatible sets as they come out. Their stuff is also modifiable so I can set say, a chair for example, to invisible and super-impose it onto another object like a counter or table or rock and come out with some pretty nifty pose arrangements. On the other hand , Poseballs while direct are antiquated technology even in terms or scripts and aesthetic and unless you are the owner , you can't adjust the poses most times unless the poseball works with an engine that allows one to pass current user properties to others and not just group.

With beds, and poseballs, I always had to have an alt or alternate myself on the positions and rotations to set them , but with non- poseball systems , I or the other sitter can easily adjust from a simply interface from a menu and you can save your position and rotations and not have to shut down and restart the object in question. Single poseballs are still effective for many animations setups though too, but no-poseball (AVsitter) seems more convenient overall.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

with non- poseball systems , I or the other sitter can easily adjust from a simply interface from a menu and you can save your position and rotations and not have to shut down and restart the object in question.

You shouldn't have to restart any system after adjusting the positions.

• Like 2

This thread, and a conversation I had yesterday, has made me think about putting my 'no-balls' system out there as a freebie, and I'm wondering if there is any point in doing that. It would probably come with just a very small number of animations as examples, so that it could be used immediately. It would be no-mod/copy/no trans. I.e the scripts would not be modifiable, and it could not be sold in products. In other words, it would only be for personal and multi-personal (such as rentals) use.

Its history is that it was used in all the animations furniture that I sold in the last 5 years or so of my store's existance.

I've read here that AvSitter is free, so mine may be surplus to requirements. I've never seen AvSitter, so I don't know what it's capable of. Mine may be way behind, but I'm interested in anybody's thoughts.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

I am a case of 'Spoiled' and have my own furniture supplier who keeps me updated with AVsitter compatible sets as they come out. Their stuff is also modifiable so I can set say, a chair for example, to invisible and super-impose it onto another object like a counter or table or rock and come out with some pretty nifty pose arrangements. ...

If you haven't tried this yet, AVsitter has a handy AVpos-shifter script that simplifies combining two or more furniture items of AVsitter-scripted animations into one prim (with a little patience re-linking them and text-editing the AVpos notecard). Okay, maybe it's not exactly easy, but... it's a hobby. :P

I'm definitely in the no-poseball camp, and used to use nPose before AVsitter became ubiquitous. Now I have to think twice about buying anything animated with something other than AVsitter because it adds difficulty to my "import all the anims" obsession.

That said, though, I have my own single-seater anim script that I use because AVsitter can't do anything with just one script anymore. Mine goes into a mode that uses arrow keys for position and rotation adjustments, which I find slightly slicker than a simple dialog menu, and of course anybody can do it for themselves, unlike rezzed control adjustment "rods", which are kinda funky anyway because the avatar only moves after the editor releases the rod and the viewer updates the sim's info. But I agree with Phil: for direct editor adjustment, really can't beat editing a poseball on which the avatar is directly sat -- just don't want to deal with those poseballs for normal sitting.

• Like 1

These are some cool developments in going no pose-ball. Please understand, I don't want to make furniture though (hence why I have a personal supplier) I just get ideas with a no-poseball system and forward my ideas then onto her to make into a complete AVsitter set, ofcourse my work in that can include suggesting poses that are needed for the project then.

I tried to make my own mens razor shaving animation onetime for some pedestal sinks I had made.... the results looked like me chopping my face off in fast motion , so I will leave the animations to the experts  xD

@Phil Deakins , no I shouldn't have to restart the system with poseballs and rezz rods , but in some old systems, this was required and in some cases also needed to dismiss the damned Pose Rods lol, not sure if that would be a glitch, but it was always something prevelant in many of my 'antique' beds I've owned (and don't forget the dreaded notecard data list of positions that some people had to learn how to fill out in order to control setups).

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm definitely in the no-poseball camp, and used to use nPose before AVsitter became ubiquitous. Now I have to think twice about buying anything animated with something other than AVsitter because it adds difficulty to my "import all the anims" obsession.

I have that exact same obsession! :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Mine goes into a mode that uses arrow keys for position and rotation adjustments, which I find slightly slicker than a simple dialog menu,

And that has given me purpose :D

I've been wanting to give my brain a bit of exercise, so I'm now incorporating that sort of adjustment system into my 'no-balls' system. At this very moment (well, when I'm not writing this post) I'm experimenting with it.

Thank you, Qie - still my #1 poster here :)

On second thought. I don't have any personal experience with this of course, but in theory, if I was ever to get involved in couple animations of the more intimate kind, I would probably prefer if there were some balls in it somewhere. Not Bento ones though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

On second thought. I don't have any personal experience with this of course, but in theory, if I was ever to get involved in couple animations of the more intimate kind, I would probably prefer if there were some balls in it somewhere. Not Bento ones though.

Can you just stay on topic ONCE? lmao

• Like 1

On 3.8.2017 at 10:29 AM, Chrismaky said:

But to creators of furniture, it is easier to use poseballs or not? I would imagine it's one less thing to do but I don't make anything so I have no clue lol

I mised that rather important question until now.

It is certainly easier to reuse your old animation suite than to set up a brand new one. It is also easier (and cheaper) to use one of the outdated but trusty old animation script systems than buy a couple of new one to see if any of them are any good.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.