HorACIO cOLLINS

Horacio Collins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

QUESTION IS .. WHEN A PERSON ABUSES AND EVEN THREATENS AND COPIES CHATS AND POSTS THEM OUT SIDE OF SL  LIKE ON FACE BOOK MY QUESTIONIS WHY DOES IT TAKE LINDEN LABS SO LONG TO BAN A PERSON THAT TOTALY VIOLATES LINDEN LABS RULES? excuse the caps ..  my partner has been threatened and some of my closet friends also been threaten by this individual .. he threatens them that he will post chats on face book and on skype .. he wants them to give him  lindens and if not he threatens them . so come on linden my friends and i have sent in numerous abuse reports .. why haven't you done a thing about this .. also he has threaten to hack their computers and we all know now that is a federal crime to hack computers across state lines it is now considered a terroristic attack  under homeland security laws now . so what is taking you so long huh? 

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

• Administrators
On 7/26/2017 at 3:50 PM, Horacio Collins said:

QUESTION IS .. WHEN A PERSON ABUSES AND EVEN THREATENS AND COPIES CHATS AND POSTS THEM OUT SIDE OF SL  LIKE ON FACE BOOK MY QUESTIONIS WHY DOES IT TAKE LINDEN LABS SO LONG TO BAN A PERSON THAT TOTALY VIOLATES LINDEN LABS RULES? excuse the caps ..  my partner has been threatened and some of my closet friends also been threaten by this individual .. he threatens them that he will post chats on face book and on skype .. he wants them to give him  lindens and if not he threatens them . so come on linden my friends and i have sent in numerous abuse reports .. why haven't you done a thing about this .. also he has threaten to hack their computers and we all know now that is a federal crime to hack computers across state lines it is now considered a terroristic attack  under homeland security laws now . so what is taking you so long huh? 

Hello there Horacio,

I'm sorry to hear that your partner and friends are encountering such troubles.

As stated previously, if an individual is harassing you or anyone else on other platforms outside of Second Life (Facebook, Skype, Blogs, etc) you will need to reach out to the Support/Abuse teams for those websites/platforms. We can only address issues that occur on our service.

The best thing that you and others involved in this situation can do is to block the individual and file an Abuse Report if they are constantly going out of their way to make contact despite the blocks. When filing an Abuse Report it is best that the person(s) who are directly being impacted by the incident file a report, and to provide as much clear and relevant information as possible about the situation. 

You can find more information regarding Abuse/Harassment and Abuse Reports in these links:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/how-to-deal-with-abuse-and-harassment-r610/

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/filing-an-abuse-report-r25/

In regards to the threats to compromise accounts, we recommend following these tips to help keep your account secure:

- It is never a good idea to share your account login or payment information with anyone; it places your account at risk for theft and unauthorized activity. 

- Please be wary of any links or instant messages that you may receive in Second Life, social media such as Skype, or via email. Many account takeovers are the result of a "link from a friend" that was actually sent by the "hacker". If you are at all uncertain, do not click the link. 

- Any time you feel your account is at risk or was compromised, immediately change your password to something new and contact us or create a support case. 

- Use a strong password that contains at least 8 characters, including numbers, letters, and non-alphanumeric characters. It's important that you do not use the same password for Second Life that you use on any other websites. This will protect your Second Life account if another service is compromised. If you have more than one Second Life account, use a different password for each one. 

- Be sure that your anti-virus software is up-to-date, and perform regular periodic malware checks.

If you have already filed an in-world Abuse Report, we thank you. For privacy reasons, we're not able to update you as to the result of the report once it's been actioned, but you will receive an email confirmation that the report has been received by our team. We hope that your future interactions in Second Life are pleasant ones. 

Edited by Kristin Linden
fixin' stuff & things
  • Like 5

The TOS controls what you are allowed to do in SL but cannot control what goes on anywhere else.  You are not allowed to re-post chat in SL (in world or in the forums), but there's no way that Linden Lab can tell you what is allowed on facebook or Skype or your home town newspaper.  If you submit an Abuse Report for something like this, it will just be ignored.  You'll have to deal with it in RL.

BTW, just in case it's not clear .... This is a public resident-to-resident forum.  Lindens come here very rarely, and they will never comment on a personal matter like this.  The rest of us are SL residents like you.  We can't do anything but listen and offer advice.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Horacio Collins said:

ban, mute, derender

the best tools for such people.

Untill now it's looking like it's nothing more than a resident vs resident issue....in that case LL will keep distance as long there's no violation of the TOS.

also... don't talk for somebody, the risk is you didn't have heared whole story, not even from a partner, if those keep contacting/responding to the griefer he will get what he wants... attention. Stop that last and he will most likely simply fade away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Horacio Collins said:

1. The LL Tos ends at the SL Border, just as American law ends at the US Border. They cannot and will not to a damn thing about posts on Farcebook.

2. Why would you even care, "Oh noe! Mr Digital blackmailer has posted Kinky chat from my Kinky Alt with the Fictional Name, on Farce book revealing that my kinky alt is kinky to the whole world... Who just don't give a damn". Just ignore it and move on.

3. "I R leet hax0r, i hax ur cumputor gud!"... 99.9 % of 'Leet Hax0rs" are talentless asshats who can barely install a viewer on their pc's let alone hack into other peoples machines. REAL Elite Hackers, have better things to do than hack non entities on SL, like breaking into the DoD database, or finding out what's really in Area 51, or reprogramming the NY Stock Exchange to pay them 10 cents on every stock transaction everyone else makes, etc.

4. US Federal Law on hacking ends at... the US Border, so don't expect LL to bust a gut chasing somebody who mightwell be a non-US login, for a vague threat to hack your pc if you don't pay 1000 l$, because LL won't. The FBI , CIA, NSA, and Homelands Security are also unlikely to intervene in your dispute

You've gotten some sound advice.  I'd add that, if someone posts something you don't like on Facebook, handle the problem in Facebook.  If they've posted using their SL name, you can report them to the Facebook moderators for using an alias.  FB requires that your account be as your real life self.

• Like 2

then  tell me as to why we had to agree to this then if linden labs is so against bullying and threats and stuff ok? here is a copy of linden labs so called no no  rules 

6.1 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.
You agree that you will not:
(i) Post, display, or transmit Content that violates any law or the rights of any third party, including without limitation Intellectual Property Rights. We reserve the right to request at any time proof of permissions in a form acceptable to us. Failure to provide such proof may lead to, among other things, removal of such Content from the Service;
(ii) Impersonate any person or entity without their consent, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation, or if you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service;
(iii) Stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service;
(iv) Post, display, or transmit Content (including any communication(s) with employees of Linden Lab) that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;
(v) Post, display, or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, involves terrorism, or is racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; or
(vi) Post, display or transmit any Content or conduct or host any activity that is sexually explicit, or intensely violent.
Any violation by you of the terms of this Section may result in immediate termination of your Accounts without any refund or other compensation.
6.2 You agree that you will not post or transmit Content or code that may be harmful, impede other users' functionality, invade other users' privacy, or surreptitiously or negatively impact any system or network.

Yup.  And that is enforceable in SL.  You may submit Abuse Reports if you feel that you have evidence of a violation.  Linden Lab will acknowledge your report and will investigate the matter, but will not tell you what the outcome is.  If the violation takes place in facebook or elsewhere outside of SL, there's absolutely nothing that Linden Lab can do about it.  After all, the TOS is not a law.  It's a binding agreement about how residents and LL interact in SL.

Study

and http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Problems_outside_Second_Life

Note also that each of the conditions described in the TOS sect 6.1 is open to interpretation.  What one person may consider as harassment, obscenity, bullying, or defamation may not be what another person thinks.  In the end, Linden Lab makes the judgment call.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Horacio Collins said:

then  tell me as to why we had to agree to this then if linden labs is so against bullying and threats and stuff ok? here is a copy of linden labs so called no no  rules

SL 'Law' stops at the SL Border.

There is no extradition treaty with the Kingdom of Farcebook...

There is no United SL Jarines, who can be sent over to Shock and Awe and Liberate Farcebook...

SL cannot request intervention from the FBI because some clown SAID they were a hacker.

• Like 3

While LL cannot keep someone from posting information on sites other than Second Life, if someone does this, they have violated the Terms of Service, as the OP points out.  Evidence of this could be used to get LL to take action against them.  However, that action would only be a ban from Second Life...LL can't do anything to keep that person from continuing to use other services, or force them to remove what they've posted there.  

From the Wiki:

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service. 

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies. 

"Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pennytrated said:

He has created to harass, stalk, make nasty or reveal  personal Ive counted 36 so far.  

Your story changes each time you post it, over a period of months. And reading numerous sentences like the one above, It sounds like you post whenever you get... too "tired" to type straight.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pennytrated said:

Though I am afraid I will get told I didnt fill out the forms right.

you won't get told that... you will hear nothing

btw

also not when they do take your AR serious... you will hear nothing, so move on, keep muting and live your life.

You got a perfect answer by a real Linden in your other thread.. so read that, and do as said there, it's pretty useless to post your issues allover the forum and in other peopls posts.

• Like 3

Above-mentioned says we need to get others to  block him etc.  

A ) Isnt that violating his privacy right?  If so isnt that telling us " Its ok" ....So  to me says "We don't care go ahead"  

B) We didn't write the  TOS so why should have any part of its enforcement.  This isn't  meant to be snarky, however why the heck are we doing a job that you  get paid to do. 

Ive had most of the parts of the TOS violated.  Ive done everything I was told would work.  After three years of abuse and reporting every day in a tiny box, it's  still going  on.  He has created to harass, stalk, make nasty or reveal  personal Ive counted 36 so far.  

So when is LL going to enforce the TOS? 91 photos supporting my complaint on a website, 91.. do I have to be assaulted or killed (there have been cases before ) before LL wakes up. 

Though I am afraid I will get told I didnt fill out the forms right.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.