Marketplace to Gacha or not Gacha...that is the question.

Miyushu Babii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is June 1st, 2017... went to search for something on marketplace. I set search to "newest first".

Apparently, the June Arcade Event started.

The search was inundated with resale gachas. Don't get me wrong, I love gachas as much as the next avatar, but this was insane!

I'm hoping that there could be a way to evolve marketplace, to offer an option to search for regular products or gacha products, OR BOTH if one chooses.

I think there could... I pray their could be. Marketplace is a great tool for merchants in SL.

I also think the upload merchant form should have additional fields required to post resale gachas. Such as: "Is this a resale gacha"? click yes or no.

I also think there should be a limit to specific words in keywords being allowed, based on what the product is. For example: If the product is "hair", then "*****" should not be permitted. Just thought I'd add in this comment since I have a captive audience. Not happy when I search for hair or other products and I get adult related material or other products, that have nothing to do with the products I'm searching for. It's a waste of my time.

And please no replies trying to tell me the earth is a globe... I was already trained about that in school.

Edited by Miyushu Babii
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Miyushu Babii said:

I also think there should be a limit to specific words in keywords being allowed, based on what the product is. For example: If the product is "hair", then "*****" should not be permitted.

There is.  Keyword spamming will get a listing taken down.
If a listing for a hair has p***s as a keyword & there is no reason for that (p***s shaped hair clip or something  lol), flag the listing for "Spam or disallowed listing practices" -> "Keyword spam".
LL will remove the listing if the seller is keyword spamming.

81fa70f173484615bb8dfe21f964220a.png

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Added image
  • Like 1

For now, the best way to eliminate all gacha from search results is to use the search term hair NOT gacha for example.
Note that NOT must be in capitals.

Also you can limit search results to copy items only to remove gacha listings that don't specifically have gacha as a keyword or in the title or description.

• Like 3

I can totally relate to Miyushu's problem. With every major Gacha event, the Marketplace is swamped with search result lists showing hundreds, if not thousands of products sporting the same product labels from the original creator. Search results become a vast sea of repetitiveness. It's very frustrating to wade through to find something. As for Markeplace evolution—yes. Something like Second Life Marketplace Evolutions (For All your Gachas) would be a great idea.

Type in 'heels' and you get pages and pages of this:

heels.jpg

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

Thank you Whirly, for your "work arounds". And thank you Arduenn, for your views on this AND the great screenshot , which represents how many search results are returning for ANYTHING searched. This shows exactly what I was referring  to in my original post.

Whirly, the current work around for searching specific items, using the "filters", works in some cases. And these may have been more functional before gachas hit the grid. But now, I believe Marketplace needs to be updated to accommodate users from both ends. Posting of merchandise AND searching for merchandise. I'm sure the fix is relatively simple. I don't think a major program rewrite would be necessary. Just a tweak here and there. This would be a huge benefit to all, including Linden Labs. I believe there may even be a potential for increased sales, thus in turn profits for all.

Again, I am not "anti-gacha" and believe there is a place for gacha resales. But, something needs to be done, behind the scenes on Marketplace to reorganize the search function, as well as the form one must fill out when posting an item for sale. I don't see any other solution at this time.

Also, since there is no "naming convention" by creators when creating products, our inventories can get pretty messy. I do my best to stay organized with mine. I believe there should also be new buttons created when naming and saving objects. This in turn would help narrow down searches and quite possible the load on the server? For example:

Initial saving of an item will run the creator thru some check boxes before being able to save the item.

Category: Hair? Clothes? Shoes? Jewelry? Decor? Animation? GACHA? etc. etc. etc.

Maybe something this simple could benefit everyone from many angles.

A creator has limited characters to type name of item. If by checking one of the main categories, lightens the load in having to add it into the name of the item, then upon searching inventory OR subsequently Marketplace, The search could be narrowed down even more.

Just a thought.

Another thought, regarding Gacha resales and Marketplace listings. Option to select "Is this a Gacha Resale"? And maybe some fields must be filled out appropriately or the listing will not populate. Can't think of what those fields are at the moment, but I think there could be some that should be filled out lol. If I can my scribbled notes on my 1001 yellow pads about this solution I'll add them later lol!

Anyways, bottom line is it's time for an "Evolution" (plays Nickelback tune in my head.)

Thank you

Miyushu steps off the podium

However,

Edited by Miyushu Babii
  • Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Miyushu Babii said:

Thank you Whirly, for your "work arounds". And thank you Arduenn, for your views on this AND the great screenshot , which represents how many search results are returning for ANYTHING searched. This shows exactly what I was referring  to in my original post.

Whirly, the current work around for searching specific items, using the "filters", works in some cases. And these may have been more functional before gachas hit the grid. But now, I believe Marketplace needs to be updated to accommodate users from both ends. Posting of merchandise AND searching for merchandise. I'm sure the fix is relatively simple. I don't think a major program rewrite would be necessary. Just a tweak here and there. This would be a huge benefit to all, including Linden Labs. I believe there may even be a potential for increased sales, thus in turn profits for all.

Again, I am not "anti-gacha" and believe there is a place for gacha resales. But, something needs to be done, behind the scenes on Marketplace to reorganize the search function, as well as the form one must fill out when posting an item for sale. I don't see any other solution at this time.

Also, since there is no "naming convention" by creators when creating products, our inventories can get pretty messy. I do my best to stay organized with mine. I believe there should also be new buttons created when naming and saving objects. This in turn would help narrow down searches and quite possible the load on the server? For example:

Initial saving of an item will run the creator thru some check boxes before being able to save the item.

Category: Hair? Clothes? Shoes? Jewelry? Decor? Animation? GACHA? etc. etc. etc.

Maybe something this simple could benefit everyone from many angles.

A creator has limited characters to type name of item. If by checking one of the main categories, lightens the load in having to add it into the name of the item, then upon searching inventory OR subsequently Marketplace, The search could be narrowed down even more.

Just a thought.

Another thought, regarding Gacha resales and Marketplace listings. Option to select "Is this a Gacha Resale"? And maybe some fields must be filled out appropriately or the listing will not populate. Can't think of what those fields are at the moment, but I think there could be some that should be filled out lol. If I can my scribbled notes on my 1001 yellow pads about this solution I'll add them later lol!

Anyways, bottom line is it's time for an "Evolution" (plays Nickelback tune in my head.)

Thank you

Miyushu steps off the podium

However,

Hello Miyushu Babii,

Unfortunately, prompting creators with options when saving an item is handled completely in world through the viewer, and adding options would require a rewrite of the viewer code, and then would require all 3rd party viewer creators to update their own viewers with the same code base.

Anyone using an older viewer without the rewritten code would not be prompted with the new options. 

The only current option for managing inventory with regards to the names used by the sellers is to change the name of the item, if possible, when you receive the product into your own inventory and then to manually move the item into an appropriately named folder in your own inventory.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comment Dakota!

Although, in my mind's eye, I can only imagine what it takes to "tweak" current tools within Second Life, I am not an expert. I DO believe it is possible to "tweak" things. And your reply confirms that. As to what degree the "tweakage" would require, is another matter entirely! lol

So, bottom line is upgrading some elements, are low on the list of priorities.

As for Inventory management, I am well aware of what it takes to keep my closet neat and orderly. It's just a shame that it couldn't be a little easier. But of course, this requires a village to work together. Maybe some day we'll see an advanced Inventory maintenance system.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:30 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

For now, the best way to eliminate all gacha from search results is to use the search term hair NOT gacha for example.
Note that NOT must be in capitals.

Also you can limit search results to copy items only to remove gacha listings that don't specifically have gacha as a keyword or in the title or description.

Until these jerks start typing "gatcha" and "gocha" and "gotcha" so now my search has 15 NOT modifiers just to find a watch or sunglasses or a pair of shoes.

At this point I think if you don't have full permissions on an item, you shouldn't be allowed to list it at all. Kill 'em all and let god sort them out.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I can totally relate to Miyushu's problem. With every major Gacha event, the Marketplace is swamped with search result lists showing hundreds, if not thousands of products sporting the same product labels from the original creator. Search results become a vast sea of repetitiveness. It's very frustrating to wade through to find something. As for Markeplace evolution—yes. Something like Second Life Marketplace Evolutions (For All your Gachas) would be a great idea.

Type in 'heels' and you get pages and pages of this:

heels.jpg

I'd be flagging all of those as spam, I won't lie.

• Like 1

@Gadget Portal

I'd be flagging all of those as spam, I won't lie.

It'd be a waste of your time and effort. They're all compliant with the MP ToS so it will be without effect. However, occasionally, people tend to list these with totally irrelevant keywords (like 'fidget spinner'). Those are prime targets to focus all your frustrations on and flag the sh*t out of. :D

• Like 2

On 6/1/2017 at 6:50 PM, Miyushu Babii said:

It is June 1st, 2017... went to search for something on marketplace. I set search to "newest first".

Apparently, the June Arcade Event started.

The search was inundated with resale gachas. Don't get me wrong, I love gachas as much as the next avatar, but this was insane!

I'm hoping that there could be a way to evolve marketplace, to offer an option to search for regular products or gacha products, OR BOTH if one chooses.

I think there could... I pray their could be. Marketplace is a great tool for merchants in SL.

I also think the upload merchant form should have additional fields required to post resale gachas. Such as: "Is this a resale gacha"? click yes or no.

I also think there should be a limit to specific words in keywords being allowed, based on what the product is. For example: If the product is "hair", then "*****" should not be permitted. Just thought I'd add in this comment since I have a captive audience. Not happy when I search for hair or other products and I get adult related material or other products, that have nothing to do with the products I'm searching for. It's a waste of my time.

And please no replies trying to tell me the earth is a globe... I was already trained about that in school.

That sounds like a reasonable complaint. Even I find my gatchas are drowning out my "regular" products, such as they are.

And when I go to find some item that I want to be a sturdy, copyable household item and I find a slew of overpriced gachas clogging search, it's annoying.

So it needs to be a filter. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/10/2017 at 6:12 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

@Gadget Portal

It'd be a waste of your time and effort. They're all compliant with the MP ToS so it will be without effect. However, occasionally, people tend to list these with totally irrelevant keywords (like 'fidget spinner'). Those are prime targets to focus all your frustrations on and flag the sh*t out of. :D

Greetings!

If they are multiple copies of the same item posted by the same seller, then they are considered Item Spam and are not compliant, as Item Spam is disallowed under the Marketplace Listing Guidelines. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Arduenn Schwartzman I agree. A big part of the issue comes from people using irrelevant keywords in the product listing in order to gain more visibility. Right now I think a lot of people are under the mindset of "other people are doing it, so I will too." ... While there is still room for improvement, the Lindens have done a great job simplifying the listing process over the years. I hope they are also equally concerned with the functionality of search and how that is being effected by a lot of users using improper keywords.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 10:11 AM, Gadget Portal said:

At this point I think if you don't have full permissions on an item, you shouldn't be allowed to list it at all. Kill 'em all and let god sort them out.

Can you explain your opinion that all listed items should be full permission? For what reason exactly? Creators have various reasons why they don't like to list full permission and, from my point of view, full perms should be limited to building blocks (or not, should the creator choose to list full perm) I have no issue listing copy/mod and maybe mod/trans, but why should I give my hard work away for someone else to profit unless that was my intention in the first place (and price accordingly)?

5 hours ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

Can you explain your opinion that all listed items should be full permission? For what reason exactly? Creators have various reasons why they don't like to list full permission and, from my point of view, full perms should be limited to building blocks (or not, should the creator choose to list full perm) I have no issue listing copy/mod and maybe mod/trans, but why should I give my hard work away for someone else to profit unless that was my intention in the first place (and price accordingly)?

That's not what I said. Read it again.

19 hours ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

I think I see where I misunderstood. As creator, I automatically have full permissions on my items. As a consumer, I should only be able to sell something I purchased with full permissions. Correct? 

Right. If you purchased it full perm or created it yourself, you're allowed to sell it. Otherwise, you're not allowed to.

18 hours ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

Another idea might be to limit Gacha sales to in-world only, just like yard sales used to be. 

Basically the same idea as what I'm suggesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.