Blacklisted for an honest review

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So Creators have a place for reviews on their MP right? I purchased a product from a store and when I got it home and opened it, it asked me to give it access to my Linden balance so that it could take as much or as little as it chooses. I wrote a review that the product was well made but that I did not feel it, nor any object, in SL should have unlimited access to my money. That if it was for gambling purposes that would be different but it was a child's basketball game. With that being said I received a message from the creator.... 
: Congrats, you're banned in my store and totally blacklisted. I remove your rights to purchase product with me anymore. I don't like that nasty people like you to lie.
: Get the life that you deserve now
: :)

How is this acceptable? Why would a merchant act this way? If there was an issue then she could have messaged me and I would have showed her what her product was doing. I was honest in my review. She did create a nice product and MY OPINION was what I put in the review. It was not nasty or told any lies. I would expect to see more professionalism from merchants but this one went a little far. But aren't reviews for OUR OPINIONS on their products? Is that not what SL put them there for? I am not going to lie about liking a product nor what that product does. It was a nice product but having access to my money was a no no for me especially with it being a children's toy. Shouldn't gambling be for adults and not children? 

Edited by SensualSeduction1313
Removed chat log
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SensualSeduction1313 said:

If there was an issue then she could have messaged me and I would have showed her what her product was doing.

If you had messaged her before leaving a review she might have explained or fixed what her product was doing. Most creators are grateful for feedback when they make a mistake, or when they can clarify misunderstandings. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

Now then ... if there is something up with her product (and if it is asking for debit permission something is wrong) maybe going to the merchant directly could have been a better option.  But even so, so what?  Anyone can block and ignore anyone for any reason just that same as banning from a parcel.  If I were in your shoes I would not be buying anything from a store that had wanted to get at my L$ so being banned is a nice thing for them to do so I don't forget and accidentally shop there again.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Now then ... if there is something up with her product (and if it is asking for debit permission something is wrong)

i do not agree on this..

these days we don't see it often anymore, but there is a lot of older stuff on MP that has a pay for play script.

The product itself mostly was/is offered at a very low price, compared to the full edition item.

If thats the case here, 1 the review wat totally unrelevant and 2 the product works as intended.

Same with tipjars and other sharable profit items... it WILL ask for access to your account, or will not work.

• Like 1

You were right to give her a negative review, it's unacceptable to sell things that take money from your balance like that, even with the automatic inworld warning, if you aren't expecting it because it was not in the product description.

Reflect upon the fact that being blocked from the store isn't such a loss as you would unlikely go there again. Being blocked from ever purchasing a product, however, say at an event, is something that this merchant can do because of a certain monopolist vendor manufacturer. They should not be enabling such a feature in a free market.

When merchants do that to me they can be sure they get an enthusiastic and widespread boycott message from me. To be sure, you could always use an alt to buy their products but some are so vindictive they will research your alts and block them, too. 

I do not mind being blocked from her store. I think the thing that really got me was how she responded. I can understand someone being a little upset that their product didn't get the best review. It was an honest review. I believe that if it involves gambling or the taking of my L$s then it should not be a children's toy. I get now why it says it but I still believe in what I said. They would get money for every point they scored but still it is promoting gambling with small children. There is nothing wrong with tip jars and other things that were mentioned above. The way this merchant handled it was completely uncalled for. She should not have said anything about my life. That has nothing to do with her shop or products. Not to mention that I purchased these items months ago before I even got pregnant with my twins and they were born on March 30th. The delay in response was proof that she does not pay attention to her store. If creators do not wish to have honest reviews and only wish to have good reviews then they should not have the review section available. That is like a movie getting a bad review and then banning people from coming to the show. Seems a bit silly to me. 

11 minutes ago, SensualSeduction1313 said:

If creators do not wish to have honest reviews and only wish to have good reviews then they should not have the review section available.

I'm a bit confused about this statement because if we're talking about the Second Life Market Marketplace there is no way for merchants to remove the review section.  We're stuck with it for good or for evil :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TatianaDokuchic Varriale said:

I'm a bit confused about this statement because if we're talking about the Second Life Market Marketplace there is no way for merchants to remove the review section.  We're stuck with it for good or for evil :)

That may be true as far as removing the option to show it but there are ways to remove the reviews which she did do. As a potential to customer to a shop I do look at reviews to see if the product is worth my money if there is no demo version available. There will always be some people who have negative things to say, I have seen some on the MP but it did not stop me from buying it as there were more positive reviews. 

12 minutes ago, SensualSeduction1313 said:

I do not mind being blocked from her store. I think the thing that really got me was how she responded. I can understand someone being a little upset that their product didn't get the best review. It was an honest review. I believe that if it involves gambling or the taking of my L$s then it should not be a children's toy. I get now why it says it but I still believe in what I said. They would get money for every point they scored but still it is promoting gambling with small children. There is nothing wrong with tip jars and other things that were mentioned above. The way this merchant handled it was completely uncalled for. She should not have said anything about my life. That has nothing to do with her shop or products. Not to mention that I purchased these items months ago before I even got pregnant with my twins and they were born on March 30th. The delay in response was proof that she does not pay attention to her store. If creators do not wish to have honest reviews and only wish to have good reviews then they should not have the review section available. That is like a movie getting a bad review and then banning people from coming to the show. Seems a bit silly to me. 

Neither of you are looking good in this. That particular merchant is well known for having... a... certain... type.... of customer service behavior, but the description of items similar to what you bought say clearly that they use a vendor system to give basketballs to your friends, which is why it requires debit permissions. It's similar to the many "freebie" vendors that require you to pay L$1 and which immediately return that L$1. Of course, the description might not have had that in it at the time, but it has nothing to do with "promoting gambling with small children."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Neither of you are looking good in this. That particular merchant is well known for having... a... certain... type.... of customer service behavior, but the description of items similar to what you bought say clearly that they use a vendor system to give basketballs to your friends, which is why it requires debit permissions. It's similar to the many "freebie" vendors that require you to pay L$1 and which immediately return that L$1. Of course, the description might not have had that in it at the time, but it has nothing to do with "promoting gambling with small children."

I am unsure of what exactly that means tho. As I have been to many places i.e. a bowling alley, where I had to grab a ball and did not have to give permission for them to have unlimited access to my money. Also with furniture where you may sit and read or drink a cup of coffee, they give you the item without having to give permission for them to take money from your account. 

1 minute ago, SensualSeduction1313 said:

That may be true as far as removing the option to show it but there are ways to remove the reviews which she did do. As a potential to customer to a shop I do look at reviews to see if the product is worth my money if there is no demo version available. There will always be some people who have negative things to say, I have seen some on the MP but it did not stop me from buying it as there were more positive reviews. 

It's really not that easy for a merchant to remove negative reviews.  You have to flag them and then they're adjudicated by LL before any action is taken.  This process can take ages and sometimes you just never hear back from LL.  How many reviews did you actually leave?  I'm wondering if they thought that you were spamming her (just thinking out loud).

21 hours ago, SensualSeduction1313 said:

I did and they were very positive. Complimenting on her textures and how they were made. But she has taken down all of my reviews. 

A merchant cannot have any review removed. She can flag a review and LL will remove it IF it is spurious. They do not remove reviews, good or bad, just because a merchant says to -- but only if the review is in violation.

Even if a merchant could remove reviews, what reason would she have for removing positive ones?

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

Just now, TatianaDokuchic Varriale said:

It's really not that easy for a merchant to remove negative reviews.  You have to flag them and then they're adjudicated by LL before any action is taken.  This process can take ages and sometimes you just never hear back from LL.  How many reviews did you actually leave?  I'm wondering if they thought that you were spamming her (just thinking out loud).

I left a review on two products after opening them and loving them and then I opened the ball game. That was a not so positive review but was far from negative. It had 4 stars. How can one spam someone if you purchase the item you have the right to review it? That is not spam. 

16 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

the description of items similar to what you bought say clearly that they use a vendor system to give basketballs to your friends, which is why it requires debit permissions.

Ah, so the OP may not have read the description.

12 minutes ago, SensualSeduction1313 said:

I left a review on two products after opening them and loving them and then I opened the ball game. That was a not so positive review but was far from negative. It had 4 stars. How can one spam someone if you purchase the item you have the right to review it? That is not spam. 

I agree that three reviews are not spam.  I was just trying to figure out why LL would remove all of the reviews you gave her. 

I've rarely had problems with merchants.  But I did buy a product & only got the wings, tried to reach the merchant with no results.  But it would be nice to hear from her.  Sometimes they don't get IM or notecards so I will try again.  I love her stuff.  I've had one serious problem with a hunt.  The merchant gave clues & look for the egg, I have been to every room on every floor found nothing.  Contacted her, heard nothing.  I'm a bit suspicious.  She makes beautiful stuff.  So I wonder if it's my viewer.  Who knows.  I'm willing to pay or the items but there are no where to be found.

Objects which charge L$ always prompt the OWNER for debit permissions.  So, if this is the first time you have owned an object like this, it explains why the message was confusing to you.  Nobody should ever see this message unless they own an object that will "credit" them L$ - and so the object must also be able to "debit" L$ for refunds in the case of failed transactions, etc. Honestly, why Linden Labs can't separate "DEBIT" and "CREDIT" permissions better is beyond me, I guess it is so that you can give "refunds" if a transaction fails.

Have we established exactly what this Debit permission is for? Is it charging for some item (a "basketball", I guess) and the proceeds go to the product's merchant instead of the owner? And that's made clear in the product description?

If so, I think the merchant should have mentioned that it needs Debit permission in the product description (if they didn't), and that's a valid point to raise with them both offline and in a review (so other buyers are warned until the product description is corrected). Of all the permissions, debit is most necessary to reveal.*

As we all know, Debit permission is not limited to the amount paid, so an owner would need to trust this script, and one is not inspired to trust a creator who doesn't "come clean" in the product description.

• Like 2

Well, I have heard that the merchant removes an item from the Marketplace and then add it again, and all reviews is gone. This does not take a long time. LL is not involved at all. See this forum thread, second reply and the following:

I can not understand what she should say to LL, what reason to she could give them to remove the reviews that were 100% positive.

I can, however, see a merchant scrub all traces of the reviews from a customer she's had an argument with. So angry that she can't stand to see that name. Worried that the review will be edited to tell about a negative experience.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.