Hide What I'm Wearing

PrettieDevine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Ariel Vuissent said:

Why do you need to?

Honestly, I'm curious. I've never had a problem flat out telling someone what I'm wearing, when asked. I really couldn't care less if they scan me to find that information, so I'm curious why someone would want to block this.

It's usually one of two things, either a) some redneck "y'all be invadin mah privacy, i's be fetchin mah .30-06, stranger..." or b) "I'm special and unique, there can be only ONE! I must be the ONLY [insert fairly standard generic avatar type here]", ironically most of the type b suspects are about as non-unique as it gets.

Just check back and see how many noob furries come on the forums asking for somebody to hand craft them a one off exclusive furry avatar in mesh based off their crayon drawing that they posted on their Arsebook page, and offering to pay you a WHOLE TWO DOLLARS if you devote 20 or 30 hours to this task.

• Like 1

I like the idea of a unique avatar.  I think we all do, but there are creators out there trying to make a living by selling their creations.  If someone sees something they like - that shirt, those shoes, a pretty skin or hair - and no one shares where they got it, a creator loses a sale.  If you want to have a one-of-a-kind look, pay someone huge $L to create something just for you.  Don't take away a sale from them.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, PrettieDevine said:

Does anyone know how to hide what your avatar is wearing when people try to scan to see what body, clothes, or other items you have on

I'd say just be flattered; most people I meet in Second Life are too self-obsessed to be interested in what other people are wearing.

"Is my mesh head straight?"

"Do my slink feet match my legs?"

"Why doesn't my bum look big in this?"

Alwin is right. There is no way to hide what your avatar is wearing, although there are ways to make your avatar completely invisible, but that seems to defeat the point altogether. 

If someone is making you feel particularly uncomfortable, do a quick change by sliding one of the selection of avatars in your inventory "library" main folder, "body parts" sub-folder across to your avatar. Cardboard box avatar is my particular favourite. 

• Like 1

I am totally unique there is no one like me, but it isn't my fabulous fashion sense that makes this true. I would be flattered if someone wanted to duplicate my look, but that is only half the package, they then would need to try to duplicate my charm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

It's usually one of two things, either a) some redneck "y'all be invadin mah privacy, i's be fetchin mah .30-06, stranger..." or b) "I'm special and unique, there can be only ONE! I must be the ONLY [insert fairly standard generic avatar type here]", ironically most of the type b suspects are about as non-unique as it gets.

Just check back and see how many noob furries come on the forums asking for somebody to hand craft them a one off exclusive furry avatar in mesh based off their crayon drawing that they posted on their Arsebook page, and offering to pay you a WHOLE TWO DOLLARS if you devote 20 or 30 hours to this task.

I appreciate the two answers that were exactly trying to give a proper response to the question I asked. I think it's really sad that others use the forums to pose their not so clever opinions. I like coming to the forum to answer and get answers to questions not only for myself but for other residents as well. 

• Like 2

SL is big enough that more then likely the person that is asking what you're wearing you'll never see again.

I can think of a few brands that I was exposed to from having had a conversation with someone over what they were wearing. To Cinnamon's point, I am sure the creator appreciated it (unbeknownst to them), and I appreciated it. You get what you give ... A little kindness can go a long way.

And just so the OP knows. I am not trying to be judgemental. I am merely speaking in general terms not directed towards you.

Edited by Chase01
  • Like 2

On 26 March 2017 at 11:53 PM, PrettieDevine said:

I appreciate the two answers that were exactly trying to give a proper response to the question I asked. I think it's really sad that others use the forums to pose their not so clever opinions. I like coming to the forum to answer and get answers to questions not only for myself but for other residents as well.

Yes, answers for others... go0 and look at the forums, see the sequence of posts where people offer silly amounts of money for 30 or 40 hours skilled work based off a drawing they did and stuck on a web page some place, check the marketplace and see how many people there aere making empty promises to protect your 'sl privacy' for only a modest fee of *cough* hundred or even *cough* thousand L$.

You could search in world and join a group for some privacy scam, thats a front for hackers of some sort.

The answer is you don't NEED to stop people inspecting you and can't even if you did.

And for the record, the two options ARE the most commonly encountered 'justifications' for wanting to block the unblockable

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't really care if someone looks at my items or inspects me. Sometimes I even do it or I directly ask the person where they got it from. I've even found some copybotted stuff like that (I wasn't looking I was wondering who made it to buy it only to find a blank profile and them being 24 hours old then weeks later seeing the real item on the marketplace). I don't really understand why anyone would want to "block" anyone from doing it unless there's something to hide?

On 3/26/2017 at 3:53 PM, PrettieDevine said:

If you want a simple answer, go to the Answers section of the forum.  If you want discussion and opinion, stay here in the discussion section of the forums.  You chose to post here, so you chose discussion.  You just might get opinions that differ from yours.  Oh,  the horror.  How dare other people give opinions that aren't what I want to hear.  Please look to the top of the page and choose Answers next time you just want that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.