You know what would be really cool?

semalina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure which category this should be posted under because it touches on several, so I'll put it in general.

Sailing in SL is a lot of fun, but you never get very far from land even in the Blakes Sea. What would be really cool is if a number of ocean sims could be reserved specifically for boating, where the sims are only switched on when an avatar comes within 256 or 512m of it, and turned off again when the avatar goes out of range. That way, the whole SL ocean could be navigable, and every island could be reached by sea or air. Is it realistic or even possible, I wonder? The number of sims needed to support it effectively would depend on the peak number of online avatars being within one sim distance of the sea, or perhaps it could be controlled / supported with an a usage fee that gives a paying user an automatic sim start / stop trigger in much the same way as a rezzer can be triggered by avatar proximity. I don't have a premium account, but I for one would be willing to commit a little money to supporting something like that if it could be done. For the sake of maybe 50 water sims, SL could become a whole planet.

Edited by semalina
  • Like 3

Having dabbled with setting up a sim on the hypergrid, I think it would involve setting up empty locations all over the world map and then loading a standardized (seamless with its neighbors wherever it's placed) terrain, fish, plants as a participating avatar approaches the location. Since someone with estate rights can restart a sim from within the viewer, it would involve adding code to allow the sim starts and stops to be triggered automatically by proximity, and any available sim engine would then be given a new grid location from a list of empty locations. It would just be a matter of It wouldn't be much of a cost in processing power - just 50 ocean sims' worth - but it'll create tens of thousands of location files. But then, I never did get my hypergrid sim working properly, so I could be way off.

If it's a question of money, maybe there could be a special group with a weekly / monthly subscription fee to cover the running costs.

Thanks for your comment, Christin, all comments on this are welcome

Edited by semalina

I think so too, there are many sims in the map that are empty and not available, they are just sea and sky.

being able to fly over them and sail would be more realistic, it will make us appreciate more the big world that Second Life is, they could just have building and scripting disabled, and let that huge amount of space be enjoyed by the sailors and flyers.

• Like 2

The thing you need to remember is that when you look at the map and see the blue areas, those aren't really "sea" but fake hold spots for areas that are places that sims can be placed. For LL to do what you are talking about would require those areas to become actual sims that require server space. I don't see LL doing that.

• Like 2

That's my point Bobbie, to have a limited number of sims ready to drop into any of those hold spots, as you call them, on the ocean part of the map when it's approached by an avatar who subscribes to the feature. It wouldn't require thousands of new sims to be created, just a few dozen that can be relocated quickly: that is, turned off in one location and reloaded with a new grid location. In effect, you'd simply be traveling across the sim you just left behind you, over and over. I don't see that it would require more server space than those few dozen extra water sims

Edited by semalina

9 hours ago, semalina said:

That's my point Bobbie, to have a limited number of sims ready to drop into any of those hold spots, as you call them, on the ocean part of the map when it's approached by an avatar who subscribes to the feature. It wouldn't require thousands of new sims to be created, just a few dozen that can be relocated quickly: that is, turned off in one location and reloaded with a new grid location. In effect, you'd simply be traveling across the sim you just left behind you, over and over. I don't see that it would require more server space than those few dozen extra water sims

oh you'd need a lot more than a few dozen... Ever been on one of the grid flight things, 30 odd people in different craft setting off in a stream from point a along a planned route to point z, a staggered start because 30 all at once would be a nightmare, imagine that with the temp sim system, you leave a sim and it goes off 20 ms before somebody else trties to enter it, border crossings for the people at the back of the line, dark gods of the grid protect us! And as for poor buggers elsewhere on the grid trying to sail about on the limbo while the grid flight was using all 2 dozen temporary sims...

Would need some damn fast servers, a new class 10! and some real fancy switching gear, and even then would probably lag like a ***** and need more than a dozen or two to cope with the demands of ALL SL trying to explore the Ocean of Limbo.

• Like 1

Treadmill crossing is an interesting idea; unfortunately, this would only work well with single vehicle crossings and would immediately break the immersion if two or more vessels are crossing together - especially if one decides to veer off in a different direction.

I suspect that it's a architectural and resource limitation previously mentioned that prevents vast expanses of ocean to dynamically be available for those sailing or flying past the mainland waterway borders. This is highly unfortunate as SL has vibrant sailing, aviation and automobile communities to offer.

• Like 1

Oh well, it was a nice idea while it lasted. It's too bad, it would add a whole new dimension to SL if all those empty locations between mainlands and islands could be traversed, even if they ceased to exist after the crossing. Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Edited by semalina

I remember when I used to live in the GOL sims,they took all their void sims (whatever those sims are called) and made them water sims..

We could jet ski and boat all we wanted..They had little islands  out there and sand bars and you could go way out..

Each house came with it's own jet ski just sitting there on the beach just waiting to be jumped on.. hehehehe

They had a lot of sims ,so they ended up with a good amount of void sims for the residents to toy around in..

I miss that place..

• Like 1

Just for point of reference:

"Void sea" is not a sim. It is a void. There is no simulator running any region supporting hardware on that block of the grid. There's no "there" there. It's an aesthetically-pleasing bit o' nothing.

People can pay to have regions in place of void, of course, and that's cool if they can, but even if replaced with open space regions, that is still costing someone US$75.00 a month to support - and the grid has an awful lot of void on it.

(Also, because I'm tired and pedantic today: a simulator runs a region, but many simulators run multiple regions. Ergo, calling a region a "sim" is a misnomer.)

1 hour ago, Marianne McCann said:

Just for point of reference:

"Void sea" is not a sim. It is a void. There is no simulator running any region supporting hardware on that block of the grid. There's no "there" there. It's an aesthetically-pleasing bit o' nothing.

People can pay to have regions in place of void, of course, and that's cool if they can, but even if replaced with open space regions, that is still costing someone US$75.00 a month to support - and the grid has an awful lot of void on it.

(Also, because I'm tired and pedantic today: a simulator runs a region, but many simulators run multiple regions. Ergo, calling a region a "sim" is a misnomer.)

I don't know if that was in reference to what I was saying or not..I'm not sure what the lessor prim sims are called..It's been awhile since I've been in world ..

I just know that back then ,and they may still do it today..For so many of the full prim sims you had gotten, you would get a lessor prim sim for free or at a discount.I forget which..

Those lessor prim sims that the owner of GOL had,were all turned into water sims and joined together..

I just remember calling them something like void sims..

hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't know if that was in reference to what I was saying or not..I'm not sure what the lessor prim sims are called..It's been awhile since I've been in world ..

I just know that back then ,and they may still do it today..For so many of the full prim sims you had gotten, you would get a lessor prim sim for free or at a discount.I forget which..

Those lessor prim sims that the owner of GOL had,were all turned into water sims and joined together..

I just remember calling them something like void sims..

hehehehe

I know. Just clarifying language so as to not see anyone get confused between void sea and openspace regions. 

A few strategically placed homesteads around Nautilus, Corsica, Jeogeot and a bit of work on linden passageways would open up a lot more sailing and be more achievable.

Much as this idea sounds good, going in to a sim just after it has restarted is a guaranteed crash.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.