Helpful Forum Hints

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ZOBhyOK.jpg

As we are all learning how this new Forum works I am seeing helpful hints scattered through many threads.

I've started this thread to help consolidate helpful hints in one place.

The above is my (first) contribution:  How to get a page to load "to the first unread content."

Please feel free to add other hints you think will be of benefit.

Thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

ZOBhyOK.jpg

As we are all learning how this new Forum works I am seeing helpful hints scattered through many threads.

I've started this thread to help consolidate helpful hints in one place.

The above is my (first) contribution:  How to get a page to load "to the first unread content."

Please feel free to add other hints you think will be of benefit.

Thanks

Gah, this setting does not appear to be persistent.  May have to start a JIRA.  :(

It is only possible to reply to the thread as a whole, and not to a specific post. That can become quite confusing in some of the threads we get here. There are two ways round it.

1. Quote the post, or some of it, that you are replying to. That causes your post to state the person's name.

2. Use the person's name in the way that we often do. E.g. @Phil Deakins. Using the full name causes that person to receive a notification that you have mentioned him/her in the post. @Phil, @Deakins, Phil and Deakins don't generate a notification.

• Like 2

@Bree Giffen:

@Bree Giffen

They are tests. I'd be surprised if either of them causes it to be printed twice. So let's see :)

ETA: No they don't. It's interesting to see that only the name that was selected from the drop-down list is turned into a link. I thought all full names were. So don't use the drop-down list to select the name if you don't want it to be turned into a link and the person to be notified. Although, since a reply is to the person, a notification is a plus and, of course, the orange colour makes it stand out so that's a plus too.

Edited by Phil Deakins
Addition

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

@Phil Deakins @Phil Deakins Does listing you twice, cause you to receive two notifications? Interesting. It highlights in orange. @Bree Giffen @Bree Giffen test.

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

@Bree Giffen:

@Bree Giffen

They are tests. I'd be surprised if either of them causes it to be printed twice. So let's see :)

ETA: No they don't. It's interesting to see that only the name that was selected from the drop-down list is turned into a link. I thought all full names were. So don't use the drop-down list to select the name if you don't want it to be turned into a link and the person to be notified. Although, since a reply is to the person, a notification is a plus and, of course, the orange colour makes it stand out so that's a plus too.

How do you get the orange "@avatar name" link? Which drop down menu are you referring to?

I received a notification from Phil and one from Cinnamon. I guess getting a tag in a quotation also sends a notification. Cinnamon, if you type the @ symbol followed by a name (no spaces or " symbols), a drop down menu pops up just below the cursor. It tries to suggest resident names. As Phil states, if you select the name in the menu it will turn into an orange tag. @Cinnamon Mistwood

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 4:25 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Clicking the dot at the left of a thread's Title in the topics list pages causes the thread to load at the first unread post. The dot is replaced by a star when you have posted in the thread.

2labm7m.jpg

Thanks Phil, I see the dialogue box now when I hover my cursor use over the dot.  I probably would have eventally discovered it.  But I'm still puzzled about the "Read Status" in my OP, what it's actually for and why it doesn't remain persistant.

I haven't a clue (yet), Perrie. That menu bar is something I haven't played with so far.

ETA. Now I have a clue - I think. This is how it looks to me. The first option indicates whether or not you want  the 'goto unread posts' indicator. The next 2 are options to indicate if you want to go to the top of the page where the first unread post is, or if you want to go to the first unread post itself. I haven't tested it but I will now.

ETA: Nope. That's not it at all. I'm back to not having a clue.

Edited by Phil Deakins
addition

45 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I haven't a clue (yet), Perrie. That menu bar is something I haven't played with so far.

ETA. Now I have a clue - I think. This is how it looks to me. The first option indicates whether or not you want  the 'goto unread posts' indicator. The next 2 are options to indicate if you want to go to the top of the page where the first unread post is, or if you want to go to the first unread post itself. I haven't tested it but I will now.

ETA: Nope. That's not it at all. I'm back to not having a clue.

I checked https://invisionpower.com/    for any kind of user guide or faq but did not see one.  :(

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Perhaps I should have said an "end user's guide."  Those are aimed at setting up and administration.  I did learn a couple of things but saw nothing you could consider a guide for the "end user forum member."

2 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

Perhaps I should have said an "end user's guide."  Those are aimed at setting up and administration.  I did learn a couple of things but saw nothing you could consider a guide for the "end user forum member."

Yeah that's all I could find. There doesn't seem to be any end user docs as such.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.