The Marketplace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Everyone:)

Seeing im a girlie ive been trying to shop on the market place but finding it very tedious.

There is nothing wrong with my PC, my broadband is fine and any other webpage i bring up appears instantly but the market place on the sl webpage is sooooo slow, takes ages for the next page of items im looking at to come up.

Anyone experiencing this too?

It doesn't matter.  You can have the best computer in the world and the fastest internet speed with the best ISP, but have a poor connection to the MP servers.

I have no problem with MP unless it is experiencing a problem.  You can always check to see if that is the case here: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Status-Grid/bg-p/status-blog

Phate Shepherd wrote:

I put that bug report on the Jira about a recent patch to IE11 causing the marketplace slowdown, but nobody else could repeat the issue. Maybe I'm not crazy after all!

Feel free to add to the comments in that bug report if your symptoms (and IE version) match.

I have the same problem - Windows 10 IE11 Update 11.0.32/KB3160005.

I've given up and switched to Chrome.  I've also seen people commenting about the same thing in different forums.

I would have commented on the Jira issue but for some reason I'm having trouble with that as well.

Gadget Portal wrote:

the most common browsers on the market...

OT but hardly.

Edge is unlikely to ever gain more than a 3-5% share, IE itself is only 11% after a hundred-billion years of being forced to install it alongside Windows. Trend is headed doooooooown.

More importantly though, IE and Edge are the most divergent browsers from W3C web rendering standards (Edge does better, but still not a winner). The Trident/Spartan engines underneath have been a real mess for some time.

There's a lot of web-developers - conscious of the mobile markets - that would rather spend time on Gecko (Chrome/Mozilla) and Webkit (Safari) engines than fixing Microsoft's product for them, just to satisfy the tiny percentages who use IE/Edge. I don't know that it's right, but I do know that that's been the approach here for some time.

I can't see this changing. :P Have instead been suggesting the outliers move to a less effort-dependent browser.

Much of the problem that IE and Edge have had to face isn't anything to do with the browsers. It's due to a natural tendancy in the human psyche to criticise, and steer away from, success. Bring the big cheese down, and all that. For many years people have found great fault with Microsoft, not because there has been great fault to find, but because of that tendancy. People are always saying that such-and-such is better, not because it's better, but because it's different and we like to be different. Other people follow, and repeat the same misinformation. Firefox is an example. Or we jump on bandwagons just to 'show' that we are not just one of the herd. Chrome is an example of that. The whole thing is almost a matter of pride rather than anything to do with realities.

To some extent, I've been a rebel all along, in that I never see any need to move away from the 'standard', which, for most of the time, was IE. I never went along with the idea that Microsoft is bad, so I won't use their stuff. The reality is just the opposite because we are ALL great beneficiaries of Microsoft. Even Apple users are huge beneficiaries of Microsoft.

Regrettably, I recently felt that I had to stop using Edge, and I went over to Firefox. I don't even remember why, but I do remember that it wasn't doing 'as expected'.

Having said all that, I am pretty much the same when it concerns Google. Unless it's absolutely forced, I won't touch Google with a bargepole. Not because their stuff is poor, but because they have become much too big on the web. They pretty much control search, and now browsers. It's not just that, though. It's the unscrupulous things they have done, but I won't go into details about that.

And whilst I am writing this, I'll add a snippet of the sort of information that I find interesting. It's nothing whatsoever to do with the topic but it does concern Bill Gates. Bill Gates is only the second very famous Bill Gates from Seattle, and not the first. The first was famous because of the Klondyke gold rush, back in the late 1890s. He was one of what were called, Klondyke Kings. They were the ones who were there prospecting for gold when the strike was made in 1896, and he became very rich. He was known as Swiftwater Bill, because of his speed on the river. Just thought I'd mention it :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Much of the problem that IE and Edge have had to face isn't anything to do with the browsers. It's due to a natural tendancy in the human psyche to criticise, and steer away from, success.

I am sure that plays a part in it, but as a corporation we have had to move away from IE as our sole supported browser because of the problems it has.Many of our State and Federal regulatory reporting requirements have to be done with Chrome or Firefox.  So far Edge will not work with some of our internal tools either; IE11 does but has serious performance issues. Chrome flashes through tools that were for use with IE with ease.  Unless something changes by end of year, Chrome will be our "sole supported browser" when we roll out WinX in 2017.  Edge will be disabled and IE 11 will be the back up end users will have to find for themselves.  However, with the wonderful new integrated business tools they have in O365 web portal it makes me wonder if there is not some plan for Edge beyond what we see now. 

In the end, I don't care why Microsoft's web browsers can't load the forms.  I just know that there are programs available that do what we need and do it efficiently. As far as IT is concerned it is a waste of resources to support multiple programs for the same functions so the one that works wins and the one that doesn't gets axed.

• 2 weeks later...

1) I discovered if you click an MP link as "open in new tab" it is almost instantaneous

- but if you click the link, it takes 20secs plus to reload into current tab window

2) same problem on Edge and IE

- and i disabled all add-ins to be sure they were not the problem

3) switched to Chrome (have never used it) and links open almost instantaneously

So, is clearly a massive problem in Edge/IE reloading new contents in current tab.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Leave it to LL to break compatibility... 

I couldn't care less about browser wars, but this may be worth exploring. Did I understand correctly that the Marketplace and IE got along well enough until a Microsoft update? Did that update cause similar complaints about slow tab reloading for other, non-SL-related pages? If other pages were not affected, then what does Marketplace do to make it such a problem?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.