Help Please: My body disappearing for others.

s2Pandora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I've been having issues that I don't actually see myself, but others do. It seems most times, if not every time I teleport anywhere at all, I have to relog because my body is gone for others. I can see it just fine. I thought maybe it's an appliers thing because i'm usually always wearing appliers, but i'm not sure. It's seriously starting to drive me crazy.

Has anybody ever had this issue and found out how to fix it? Thank you!

Body is Orange Nova Nauha, if it helps any.

You're not alone.  

It happens to me with my Belleza Venus body also.   I've resorted to asking others if I've rezzed for them, after each and every teleport.

I don't believe it has anything to do with appliers, but rather with the inefficient handling of "heavy" mesh in SL.

For me, detaching and reattaching the mesh body improves things sometimes, but not even 50% of the times.   Following that action with a relog does work in most cases for me.

Another poster suggested that changing the default attachment from "right hand" to some other less-used point could help.  I haven't tried that yet, but I will tonight.

It happened to me when I first started wearing a mesh body, but it hasn't happened in a while now. It's far from unusual, though. 

When mesh is created, it attaches by default to the right hand. All of it. Unless the creator changes it before putting it up for sale, that's where it stays. You can't tell, because it doesn't appear there - it goes where it's rigged to go, but it stays attached to the right hand. That means that your body, hair, hands, feet, shoes, pants, shirt, and whatever other mesh you might be wearing may ALL be hanging out on your right hand. 

Move the body to avatar center by detaching it, right-clicking it in your inventory, and choosing Attach To --> Center. It's been suggested that that may help. There is no actual, official fix, but I've heard from many people that this fixed the problem for them. 

If you're feeling ambitious, you can do the same with other things you're wearing. Move your feet and hands to left and right foot and hand, respectively; move your hair to skull, chin, or nose; etc. Lessen the burden on that poor right hand, and see if it helps for you.

• Thanks 2

This happens to me, with several different mesh avatars. When it does happen, I find that I cannot remove/add the mesh body, it appears stuck in my viewer, my only option seems to be a relog.

It only seems to affect the mesh body, never the mesh hands or feet. I've been wearing the bodies on avatar center, but recently decided to try a different attachement point, I'll be interesed to see if it helps. With others advising trying the center attachement point as a cure, I am not optimistic.

The truth is, that it's likely on their end not yours.  Tell them to make sure that they have "show other avatars" checked under graphical settings (strange to say, some viewers don't have it checked by default): and that they are using a mesh-enabled viewer.  Otherwise they'll see you as a floating nametag (since you're wearing an alpha mask to hide your classic body).  If they are laggy, or their viewer can't handle mesh that well then there's likely little that you can do: although spreading out where stuff is attached can help.  Also cut down on the number of HUDs and scripts that you're wearing at any given time as these cause major lag.  But again, it's probably their graphical settings or their viewer (or both) which are the problem: not you.  

• 2 months later...

aithne thats something different i think, without a mesh-enabled viewer her relog wouldnt make them see her mesh properly no matter how many times she relogs, what pandora described is a common sl bug with mesh (not only bodies) when you can see your mesh but others cant, only way to fix it is a relog, it happens mostly after a tp and you can tell it occurred by detaching the said item but not being able to add it back because the right click menu still offers detach option even though the item is not highlighted as worn anymore (with tmp bodies you can also tell by having the styling hud opened at all times :D the icon of the said body part disappears from the hud bottom row)

• 3 years later...

Mesh Body invisible here fixed problem on my HP pavilon dv7 laptop by disabling my ATi Graphics chip in the Device manager Display Adapters tab then under the driver tab for that ATi card. badda bing bada boom now i see my mesh avatar body and clothes.

2 hours ago, JoshDuggar said:

Mesh Body invisible here fixed problem on my HP pavilon dv7 laptop by disabling my ATi Graphics chip in the Device manager Display Adapters tab then under the driver tab for that ATi card. badda bing bada boom now i see my mesh avatar body and clothes.

Just a note here, since Josh's post may confuse those less familiar with tinkering in computer settings: he has (hopefully!) only disabled the integrated graphics chip here. He should still be using a dedicated graphics card to run SL, otherwise he'll be running into a whole lot of problems.

For anyone else coming to this and thinking it's a new post (it's not; it's four years old and mesh bodies as well as the underlying SL infrastructure have moved on now) the usual reason for a mesh add-on to disappear for others but still be visible on your own screen is that it has been detached during a teleport but your viewer still thinks you're wearing it. Same thing with HUDs that mysteriously stop working: they've actually come off but your viewer is still rendering them, and your inventory also still shows them as worn.

It's usually caused by having too many things attached to a single point. Once you're dressed and have relogged, make a note of where everything is attached. If you have more than two rigged mesh items on the same point - especially if it's a mesh body part such as the body itself, head, hands, etc - then try re-attaching something to another point (but be aware that some items with root prims - such as hair - may leave you with a small box floating outside your body).

To check ghosted HUDs, if you're using Firestorm then you can go to Avatar > Avatar Health > Refresh Attachments. Any ghosted HUDs will disappear from your screen during the refresh and you can then re-add them.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2015 at 8:19 PM, s2Pandora said:

.. every time I teleport anywhere at all, I have to relog because my body is gone for others. ...

I wonder if you have firestorm and have taken advantage of its BACKUP function in prefs ?  I am finding it a real handy quick fix these days is simply to to restore my backup and quit and relog when it says to.

There is a caveat to all this. The backup needs to be made when your viewers running sweet as a nut. 

Edited by rasterscan

I get this with my Genus head, even though it is attached to my neck (haha) and nothing else is attached there. It only started after the upgrade before last and I haven't had time to add the latest upgrade, which I hope sorts it.

Just now when I land, I detach and reattach which fixes it. It doesn't happen with my alts, one of which has the latest Genus. One of my friends is having the same problem with her Lara disappearing during tp.

Better to lose my head than land naked!!!

Edited by BelindaN

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I get this with my Genus head, even though it is attached to my neck (haha) and nothing else is attached there. It only started after the upgrade before last and I haven't had time to add the latest upgrade, which I hope sorts it.

Just now when I land, I detach and reattach which fixes it. It doesn't happen with my alts, one of which has the latest Genus. One of my friends is having the same problem with her Lara disappearing during tp.

Better to lose my head than land naked!!!

*Whispers*If you’re wearing mesh, you often Rez naked before your clothes pop on to other people. Don’t tell anyone, Kay?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janetosilio said:

*Whispers*If you’re wearing mesh, you often Rez naked before your clothes pop on to other people. Don’t tell anyone, Kay?

Oh shoot!!!!!! So travelling around without a body attached is the way to go for modest avis……………….unpack when you arrive hehe!! 9_9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.