Sign in to follow this  
Nethya Emor

What is best texture setting for SL? RGB/8 or RGB/16. And .png or .targa? Targa 24/32?

Question

Textures for SL may be uploaded as PNG, TGA, JPG, or BMP.  Your PNG or TGA files should be either 24 bit RGB or 32 bit RGBA.  On upload, all texture files are converted to JPEG 2000 format.

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Textures for SL may be uploaded as PNG, TGA, JPG, or BMP.  Your PNG or TGA files should be either 24 bit RGB or 32 bit RGBA.  On upload, all texture files are converted to JPEG 2000 format.

• Like 1

Hi Nethya,

As Rolig explained, regardless of the format of the file you upload to SL, it will be converted to JPEG2000, which is an 8 bit/channel RGBA format. I don't know if the SL texture uploader will even accept deeper formats.

A non-alpha texture has only the Red, Green and Blue channels. At 8 bit depth, that's a 24 bit pixel. If you add an Alpha (transparency) channel, that brings you up to 32 bits. As each channel is 8 bits, there are only 256 levels of brightness/transparency available. Unfortunately, that's not enough to avoid banding in shallow gradients like skies.

An RGB format supporting 16 bits per channel would result in 48 bits per non-alpha pixel and 64 bits per alpha pixel and 65,536 levels of brightness/transparency. I don't know of any output devices (including print) that can display this much dynamic range. The human eye has a dynamic range (in a single daylight scene) of somewhere in the range of 11 bits. I'm not aware of any 32 bit per channel image formats.

When you refer to RGB/16, I think of the very old (in tech terms) 5:6:5 format that produced a total gamut of 65536 colors using 5 bits for red, 6 bits for green and 5 bits for blue, for a total of 16 bits. There was no alpha channel in this format. RGB/32 refers to any of the common 8 bit/channel formats like TGA, PNG or JPEG2000.

So, stick with RGB(A)/8, that's all SL can handle. And do use uncompressed formats like PNG and TGA. You don't want to do any more compression than necessary, so let SL's JPEG2000 compressor be the only one that squishes your work.

in addition to the other answers:

don't make the textures too large, 512x512 is large enough for walls, 256x256 or even 126x126 /  64x64 for small objects

using 1024x1024 will cause longer load times, and LAG