Where do griefers go?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

AlmostDejavuu wrote:

Ever experience it?

Yes, I'm sure most people have, at some point. Since I've been here since 2004(off and on until 2008 when I decided to stick around), it's inevitable that I'd run into them at some point in my slife, lol.

they go to the gap mostly pretty much

the gap on top of the pin between there and the banhammer

you will have to be quick tho to play on the gap and survive. bc the banhammer dont fall regular. is pretty random. One minute it dont move

nek minnit !!! boom boom boom boom boom !!!

Griefers are where they can cause some grief.

An estate with managers present where they get kicked out in a second followed by their rezzed stuff in the next second is absolutely no fun.

A sim with some spectators, preferable some that start yelling empty threats and other stuff is alot better and will please that low minded kiddies way more.
Of course - without rezzing allowed they can only spam (text, sound, particles, worn prims) not that thrilling. With rezzing allowed there goes much more and if scripts are allowed more effects are possible. There should be nobody on the sim with powers. Banning and returning is not that funny especially if the officer/manager is experienced and quick.

So you know where to search, have fun :D

They seem to love hanging out in sandboxes.

They also tend to target active community areas that have open unused spots (ie, they don't hit a busy club all that often, but if you have multiple themed sims, they'll grief the one you're all not currently standing in).

And a certain very popular third party forum that even Linden employees post on - has a notable population of griefers. Its where they go AFTER they get perma-banned.

It depends the kind of griefers, most have favourite targets. If it's someone who simply doesn't like you, you might very well be their only target. Usually they will go for the category of SL users that is either the easiest to offend, or offers the best way to get lulz.

yes Iv'e experienced griefing, I've all so experienced filing an AR.

griefers go the their lonely rooms in RL to grief people because they don't have friends in RL because their  @$40!35.

griefers all so go to orientation island a lot because they have to keep making new avatars every time they get banned.

lately griefers all so get to go to the store to buy new graphics cards, apparently some one decided to get revenge on grievers by making a version of several of the most poplar grefeing tools and mod them to overload the griefers graphic card instead of the intended victims.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Laughable, really. Did your pedo-friends tell you that?

o.O???

No.

Look at the complaints about griefers - half the time it being with "I was in sandbox XYZ and then..."

Look at where you find griefer objects - they always seem to attack the popular communities, but in their less busy sims. I've never seen one jumpt into the middle of a busy club and attack, I don't doubt it happens but most are not so bold. They set up where they won't be noticed until after they can TP out (Ok, once I saw someone grief an infohub - some of them are bold. But usually I see people piping up with "seeing a bunch of particle boxes over at sim ABC, can one of the land managers come take a look?").

And lastly... that third party forum - that comes from admission of its members. Several of them directly state they were perma-banned from SL. Not made up, go ask them.

Clearly you don't know the first thing about me, so you might just want to stick to topic.

I suspect I know what forum you mean and I think you are just bashing it because you don't like it. And when I add the other things you said...well...

And of course sandboxes are probably the sort of places that gets griefed the most, because

a) everyone can rez stuff there

b) there is rarely someone around who can ban the griefer directly and/or clean up.

c) there are probably people who can be easily disturbed by what they are doing (building, unpacking boxes, editing avatar).

I think the first time I encountered a griefer was even on a sandbox. Someone who had fun dropping cages on everyone who entered, especially new users. And another time someone tried to push me around, after I refused to accept their bite request spam. I think people who attack sandboxes do that out of boredom and because its an easy target.

Other places that get griefed are often popular ones, that...are hated by some for the "theme" they represent. And then you have people who select their target out of personal anger, in hope to damage someone elses business.

Syo Emerald wrote:

I suspect I know what forum you mean and I think you are just bashing it because you don't like it. 

Oh, hmm, I didn't read it that way at all. You may be correct, of course, but actually the former griefers on that other forum are some of the more interesting posters. I suppose some of them still "grief" under alt accounts and all, but when stuff like RedZone hits the fan, and bottomfeeder viewers, it's convenient to have some folks around who've tried on a black hat.

(But "pedo" ? Really? Or, rather, WTF? Those filthy TAX COLLECTORS! Those godforsaken SALESPEOPLE and ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES! Those, those.... those LAWYERS!)

Qie Niangao wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

I suspect I know what forum you mean and I think you are just bashing it because you don't like it. 

Oh, hmm, I didn't read it that way at all. You may be correct, of course, but actually the former griefers on that other forum are some of the more interesting posters. I suppose some of them still "grief" under alt accounts and all, but when stuff like RedZone hits the fan, and bottomfeeder viewers, it's convenient to have some folks around who've tried on a black hat.

(But "pedo" ? Really? Or, rather, WTF? Those filthy TAX COLLECTORS! Those godforsaken SALESPEOPLE and ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES! Those, those.... those LAWYERS!)

Even worse, all those who support nuking the gay baby whales for jebus!

Where will it stop?

Where have all the griefers gone, long time passing?

Where have all the griefers gone, long time ago?

Where have all the griefers gone?

Their mummies spanked them everyone

Oh, when will they ever learn?

Oh, when will they ever learn?

Here is an admission....and plz don't judge....I miss a good old-fashioned griefing.

I don't mean the nasty stuff that ruins events or brings sims to their knees or destroys people's creations or halts business....I mean the stuff that used to happen back in the days when I lived in sandboxes...the fun griefing-lite griefing. The griefing that might make you cuss someone out at the time, but years later you catch yourself having a giggle at.

I miss idiots in cars, and idiots with guns that fire stupid stuff everywhere and the randomness of what people might rezz and do. It's been years since I've seen a classic Mario-ing, or been shot at, or had to fend off a random lunatic, or been deformed. I haven't seen anyone caged for way too long, or even being shot into the air after sitting on a "sit here to get free lindens" chair.

In Fermi Sandbox, I built my first bed (and for back then it was pretty impressive, considering) while being set on fire and sitting with clenched cheeks on a plywood box as particle havoc rained down everywhere. I may have quietly sworn a bit at the time (and issued a few ARs), but it has turned into a warm hazy memory, softened by a couple of  years of nostalgia and gin consumption.

These days, my experience is that the average sandbox has people standing well apart from each other, not talking or visibly doing very much. (This could be because so much of content creation now happens outside of SL, and so everyone is afk in other programs, no longer experiencing SL in the moment. It's all so isolating compared to the shared creative platform that SL was.)

I don't know. Maybe I'm going to the wrong sandboxes. Shrug.

I'm anti griefing as a destructive force...and thank goodness for well-moderated sandboxes as an option, but I miss some of the playful spontaneity.

A few years ago, we were promised a more predictable SL experience, and there are merits to that. But it's the unpredicted parts that form many memories.

Anyway, my answer is that the really bad griefers probably live under bridges with trolls. Probably in the SL Botanic Gardens somewhere. Maybe. I don't know.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.