How long is a day?

Sorite Krautrauch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

Traditionally, "Days" are 3 hours long, and "Nights" are 1 hour long. There are 6 full cycles in 24 hours, thus assuring that no matter what time zone you live in in RL, you will not be "always logging in in SL's night". Mainland sims adhere to this cycle, as do most private islands by default.

This setting can be overridden by private estate owners. This is why some retail sims are in eternal daylight, why some beach sims are at constant sunset, and why some RP sims are in constant night. You can stop the sun cycle, or speed it up, or slow it down.

Of course, you can also override the sun's settings, using the World > Environment Settings > Environment Editor.. you can even set your own day/night cycle using the advanced sky editing tools.

• Like 3

• Lindens

I just saw this browsing for day trivia. If your answer is better than the KB's, PLEASE do edit the KB and make it better — since it's a Wiki, many pages can be upgraded by Residents. I do many suggested edits but there are many more "eyes on the street" out there, as it were. Plus, your contributions can be widely viewed, and may benefit many others... and are likely to be referenced when the same question comes up again on SL Answers... which is awesome!

• Thanks 2

Curiously, the day/night ratio of 3:1 correlates to summer solstice around the 57th parallel on Earth. This would put Second Life default environment around the Island of Barra in Scotland, or Kodiak Island in Alaska in the north, or in the oceans just north of Antartica in the southern hemisphere. BRRRR!

I suppose it is funny. This falls into the category of "Gee, everybody knows that," but we don't talk about it much, any more than we do in RL.  For what it's worth, there are places where you can find the answer in the wiki, but they are all places that you might look if you already knew the answer, like http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetTimeOfDay  , which is familiar to scripters.

The Environment Enhancement Project (EEP) is underway to make changes to the way days and WIndlight work. One of the changes will be to the 4 hour day cycle. Various cycle lengths will be possible.

There is talk of people planning to match the SL region time to a specific RL time zone. There is, however, some thought to allowing specific Windlight settings on a per avatar basis controlled by script. So, from the west coast of USA I could visit 1920's Berlin on Berlin Germany time without jet lag... meaning for me where it is daylight at RL home it would be daylight in Berlin... How that would work with people from multiple time zones being in the same place.. probably isn't that good.

But, scripts controlling individual WL settings has possibilities. Entering a cave or burning building the script could adjust your WL without having to adjust the WL of others not in the cave of building. Possibilities.

Things are changing.

@Nalates Urriah, that's very interesting to know.  Just in case the big domes working on this are listening to input, the changes I would like to see are:

1. Correct the bug that makes stars appear in front of clouds.
  2. Implement some form of the "Parcel Windlight" feature of the Firestorm viewer in the main viewer.
  3. Make it easier to create or edit day cycles.
  4. Provide some number of pre-made day cycles, much as pre-made custom sky and water settings are now available.
  5. Shorten the names of the current sky and water presets.  Some are so long that they take up a significant portion of the parcel description limit when using them for Parcel Windlight.
  6. Tie physics engine wind strength and direction to windlight sky settings?
  7. Bring back volumetric clouds as an option, with some variables such as height and density

On 12/14/2017 at 7:01 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Just in case the big domes working on this are listening

Rider Linden is the lead engineer on the feature. You can make a feature request in the JIRA. Use his name in it so it gets forwarded to him.

See: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-202715 as an example.

Some of your wish list is already in progress. #1, #5, #6, #7 I'm not sure, #2, #3, #4, I think are included.

You can catch up on EEP on my blog by searching on EEP. I have an enhanced search so one can do 3 letter searches.

On 12/8/2009 at 6:53 AM, Torley Linden said:

I just saw this browsing for day trivia. If your answer is better than the KB's, PLEASE do edit the KB and make it better — since it's a Wiki, many pages can be upgraded by Residents. I do many suggested edits but there are many more "eyes on the street" out there, as it were. Plus, your contributions can be widely viewed, and may benefit many others... and are likely to be referenced when the same question comes up again on SL Answers... which is awesome!

Hi Torley. Nice to hear from you. You add smiles to my SL day.

The Wiki remains locked down. Some of us have edit rights, most do not. Griefers forced the Lab to limit access. One can ask for edit rights from support. I am not sure how they make a determination of who gets them and who doesn't. Those that have been around and are famously or infamously known to the Lindens seem to get approved. Whirly probably knows how it works.

I think of the KB and Wiki as different things, may be Forum-KB and Wiki-KB. I do not see where residents can edit the Forum-KB entries the Lindens make. Nor do I see where we can add articles. We can ONLY add comments to existing articles. Sometimes those comments are used by a Linden to make corrections. So, is it possible for residents to get Forum-KB edit rights?

Having two places to call the knowledge-base and maintain seems counter productive. I refer people to the Wiki-KB because I can edit and update articles there. Plus, there is a lot missing from the Forum-KB. Try finding out how to get into ADITI just using the Forum-KB.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Clarify KB's

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.