why would i get a account for 80 dollars just to have rude people and get swears at by others.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi William,

I'm going to guess that's a rhetorical question. Anonymous social platforms like SL allow people to behave like jerks. It also allows people to do wonderful and imaginative things and to share of themselves in ways they might not otherwise. You'll have to thicken your skin, temper your expectations, work on your patience and believe that there are neat people here.

And I apologize for swearing at you when you came out of your house the other day. I mistook you for my *^@#$ neighbor.

;-).

Oh good.  A two-part question.

1.  I have no idea why you would pay $80 for an account, no matter who you want to have swear at you.  I have had a free Basic account for more than 7 years, and have managed to get along just fine in SL. If you'd like to have people swear at you, there are cheaper alternatives.

2. I also have no idea why you want anyone to swear at you, though.  That seems unnecessarily masochistic.  As you point out, many people are probably even willing to do it for free, but why would you want them to?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hi William,

I'm going to guess that's a rhetorical question. Anonymous social platforms like SL allow people to behave like jerks. It also allows people to do wonderful and imaginative things and to share of themselves in ways they might not otherwise. You'll have to thicken your skin, temper your expectations, work on your patience and believe that there are neat people here.

And I apologize for swearing at you when you came out of your house the other day. I mistook you for my *^@#$ neighbor.

;-).

Funny, Snugs gets along with the neighbors just fine.

Is this a trick question?

Gotta love the options for being able to ignore people like that. Don't let them ruin your SL experience, so many more good things to enjoy. I agree with everyone else, enjoy the same abuse for much less :smileyhappy:

Hope your SL experience turns around for ya....

You have the ability to deal with this yourself.  Why are you bitching about it here instead of fixing the problem?

Oh, you say you don't know how?  I'll explain:  When someone is rude and swears at you, right click their avatar.  Select Mute, then Block from the context menu.

Problem sorted.

Now you can feel better about the money spent for your Premium membership...which, by the way, includes lots more benefits than just having people swear at you.

Or you could reverse the question why pay rent or a mortgage in RL when there rude people out side your house when you can find rude people in SL for free.  The big difference is that is SL you can simply teleport way from them, mute them, and even derender them.

A better question might be how to avoid rude people in SL.

looks like this is your first week in SL, If your looking for people with similar interest try filling out your profile, it's often a good conversation starter.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hi William,

;-).

Oh Maddy, you make me laugh

And then I remembered this.....Monty Python: The Argument Clinic

williaminc000 wrote:

i can get that for free just by going outside my house?

I'm curious as to why you're getting verbal abuse when you go outside your house. What have you DONE?!

I for one manage to go outside my house almost everyday without anybody ever swearing at me.

Maybe whatever it is you're doing that causes people outside to swear at you, don't do that thing. And don't do that thing in SL either.

you may be expecting better treatment if you pay a lot of money for an account, lets say access to special areas that are more regulated, where politeness is required, or at least rudeness and swearing are not allowed, but unfortunately Linden Lab cannot control the actions of the users, a user that decides to swear may do it without filtering from the viewer and people around will read it or hear it, what Linden Lab could do is to ban that user from the area, but since it may be an area for paying users, that rude user would have to be granted access again.

since you pay for a premium membership, you can make that area for yourself, where you are in control in your premium house, you can have people visit and if they swear you can ban them, or only invite people in that dont swear or are not rude, there is the advantage that Linden Lab gives to paying users to protect themselves from rude people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.