Breaking News! 2 Avatars in custody after using Display Names

LiveReport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We interrupt your normal GD Postings to bring you this special update from a central coast  beach:

That is right dwellers I am standing right here on the very beach where the incidence occurred. It's all cleaned up now (sim restarted, parcels return to owners, environmental settings returned to normal) but this was not the case Sunday morning when two Avies where hit with all the Shock and Awe LL could dish out. IP bans, computer bans, account bans and the removal of forums post. The full arsenal of the LL attack team homing in on one location.

Details at this point are still come coming in but here is what we know:

Keli K's Avi is in custody and her account is on Administrative Hold as she waits for official communication from the Lab.

Keli I (That is a capital "i" not a small "L") is in critical condition in the detention center's medical facility. She is having a hard time remembering anything. Search now brings up nothing for her, it is like she never existed! She keeps mumbling the words "It's just like Katy Perry's hair, it is just like her hair!"

For more background on what caused this incidence we are talking live with her doctor.

It appears that Keli I (That is a capital "i" not a small "L") was born with an incredible love for Lindens. So much so that as she grew up she liked to think of herself as being a Trans-Linden. These Trans-Linden feelings overwhelmed her life. As these feelings grew she even went so far as to make her name appear more like a Linden by capitalizing one of "i"s. It is in my professional opinion that this is the worst case of lindenitis I have ever seen.  Iindenitis is a very rare and is usually a terminal disease that only people that live in San Francisco survive. We think this has something to do with the cheese out there. Since Keli I lives outside of the city her chances of survival and not very good.

Thank you doctor.

Now for more on this situation we have an interview live form Keli K's cell.

LiveReport: So Keli, is it okay if I call you KK and her KI just to make it easier?

(Putting her Paris Hilton bookmark in her (now) one and only possession "Cooking with Martha" cookbook and looking up to answer the question:

Keli K: Sure

LiveReport: So did you believe that KI was a Linden?

Keli K: No, not at all I use both usernames and display names so I could see that she was not really a Linden, but I loved her anyways because (looks around and whispers) I love Lindens too.

LiveReport: So did you know her long?

Keli K: No. She has only been around a week but I friended her on the very first day. We have so much in common.

LiveReport: She keep mumbling about Katy Perry's hair any idea what that is about?

Keli K: Oh ya, like I totally understand that! You know when you have a favorite star and you go to the hair dressers and you tell them you want your hair to look like them?

LiveReport: um....ya?

Keli K: Well she is saying her name is like that.

LiveReport: ...Okay..?

Keli K: When you get your hair done you are not trying to trick anyone into thinking you are Katy you just want to look like her. Same with KI she wasn't trying to trick anyone she was just trying to look like her favorite stars. She even wrote "I AM NOT A LINDEN" in her profile with a link to the official webpage just to make sure that no one got confused.

LiveReport: Do you think it confused people?

Keli K: No! We were at a party on saturday with over 65 different people showing up and not one asked "Are you a Linden" or "Can I have a bear?" She thought everyone knew it was for play not for harm.

LiveReport: So KK what are you going to do now?

Keli K: I am not really sure. The website gives is the option to start a ticket but I don't know what that is and if it will help. I am hoping the Lab gives me some idea where I stand. I mean I don't understand if I am getting a timeout or banned or what is going on.

Well there you have it. After creating a Display Name written Iiden (Captal "i" i-n-d-e-n) a team of Lab experts were called in to end this evil of Iindenitis. That is the latest for now, we will keep you updated as more breaking news happens. PLUS we will be following up on a lead we have from the rumorville that Keli I was turned over to the authorities from inside the FC Hangout.

if it is her are you so really very surprised?  When I saw her asking for an invite to the party I thought it just like old times when a Linden would join in and ask for an invite to a party being discussed it did used to happen. I checked her profile and found out she was not one, but I did have to check to find out.

Kwant Capalini wrote:

if it is her are you so really very surprised?  When I saw her asking for an invite to the party I thought it just like old times when a Linden would join in and ask for an invite to a party being discussed it did used to happen. I checked her profile and found out she was not one, but I did have to check to find out.

I guess.

I confess it never occurred to me that anyone might misread it that way.

I would really hope this isn't real and that someone actually got hit with disciplinary action for a misreading of display names.  It only takes a few brain cells to notice the true name of a user (that's why they call it a username, right? ) directly underneath the display name.

Unless, of course, people decide to, for whatever reason, turn off this option because they find the idea of mistaking one person for a completely different one exciting (they say getting lost with someone is romantic, I suppose simply being lost works under the same principle, if you catch my hint )

Great story though!

Probably. Lindens take any misuse (or perceived misuse) of the Linden name very seriously. Wasn't her signature something to the effect of "I'm only a Linden in Viewer 2" or something like that? Not smart. Some things you can't joke about because they will take you seriously. You don't say "bomb!" in an airport even as a joke unless you want to spend the next few hours in a very small room with very unamused people.

• Like 1

Ack!!!

This explains your absence. I hope this gets cleared up PDQ. Your presence here, and in-world, will be sorely missed. I suppose this is yet another example of the "Law of Unintended Consequences".

Did you have to tempt the gods with this though?

http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/565107#565107

Good luck, Keli.

Kwant Capalini wrote:

Well the idiot Lindens only have themselves to blame for coming up with such a dumb idea as display names in the first place.

The second they opened the door to the creation of last name, they certainly should have anticipated this, I agree. This just adds to my overall feeling that LL is running too lean as they try to keep the ship afloat.

Exactly. They very explicitly stated that you can't use linden in a display name. It only stands to reason that they wouldn't want anything that could possibly be misconstrued as linden in one either. And rightly so, because for every person who does it as a goof, I'm sure there's at least one other person doing it for nefarious reasons.

By the way, Doing It For Nefarious Reasons would be a great sex group name.

yes that is true but I made a Kwant Resident alt the other day so no other twit would pretend to be me and there was nothing to tell me not to use Linden. We all know but do they make it clear to new people? Or is the person we are talking about not new, in which case she should have known better than to play with the Linden name. Don't get me wrong I am no Linden lover, I think they are mostly a bunch of tossers but I do know I would get squished if trying in any way even if only by eye to appear to be one I would likely get into trouble.

Kwant Capalini wrote:

yes that is true but I made a Kwant Resident alt the other day so no other twit would pretend to be me and there was nothing to tell me not to use Linden. We all know but do they make it clear to new people? Or is the person we are talking about not new, in which case she should have known better than to play with the Linden name. Don't get me wrong I am no Linden lover, I think they are mostly a bunch of tossers but I do know I would get squished if trying in any way even if only by eye to appear to be one I would likely get into trouble.

Weelll, she is a pretty sharp tack.  However, there will be lindens and Iindens and IIndens...etc etc. until LL does a bit of edumacating the masses.  There will be someone inworld who will see one of those names and think it is a 'real' Linden and start asking all sorts of uncomfortable questions.

Nathaniel Scorpio wrote:

By the way, Doing It For Nefarious Reasons would be a great sex group name.

Done. Feel free to join, bring Scylla too. Everybody's welcome.

It seems like a logical progression from my first group, "We Can Do It!"

Now, we can all bask in the glow of the group name and wonder what it is and how we'd do it.

Saying "I'm not a Linden" in your profile isn't a perfect CYA solution either. If you have to put that in your profile all that really does is prove you realize full well it can be misconstrued that you are a Linden and you picked the name on purpose to try and be cheeky. What happens when someone else does the same thing only they goal really is to take advantage of people's confusion? Is LL going to ignore it because they put a 'disclaimer' somewhere buried in their profile somewhere? No, they aren't. But they can't shut one person down and give another a free pass either. Lesson? Don't make names that appear like you're trying to impersonate a Linden, even as a joke. Even if they find it mildly funny, they have to take it seriously and treat all cases objectively.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.