Holiday Songs You Love To Hate

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year", Andy Williams. I've probably lost more tooth enamel (from biting down hard) because of that song than all the plaque ever known. Absolutely makes my skin crawl. I won't put a link here because even with my headphones sitting on the desk some of the song might escape while I'm saving the link.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year", Andy Williams. I've probably lost more tooth enamel (from biting down hard) because of that song than all the plaque ever known. Absolutely makes my skin crawl. I won't put a link here because even with my headphones sitting on the desk some of the song might escape while I'm saving the link.

My neighbor would sing the refrain while waving to her son as he got on the bus for the first day of school each autumn.

There  is a time and a place for everything?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

My neighbor would sing the refrain while waving to her son as he got on the bus for the first day of school each autumn.

LOL. Okay, I could enjoy that one line under those conditions. Time and a place.

OK - How about a lovely madrigal to reset the mood! :)

Sing We and Chant It
Composed by Thomas Morley (c.1557-1602)
Performed by the Douglas Frank Chorale

Sing we and chant it, while love doth grant it,
Fa-la-la...
Not long youth lasteth, and old age hasteth;
Now is best leisure to take our pleasure.
Fa-la-la...

All things invite us now to delight us,
Fa-la-la...
Hence, care, be packing, no mirth be lacking;
Let spare no treasure to live in pleasure.
Fa-la-la...

English composer, Thomas Morley, was a staunch proponent of Italian music. He used his treatise, A Plaine and Easie Introduction to Musicke (1594) to extol the virtues of newer Italian composers and their techniques.

Morley was obviously taken with a collection of balletti by Mantuan composer, Giovanni Gastoldi, published in 1591. He borrowed tunes from and modeled Sing We and Chant It directly after Gastoldi's balletto, A Lieta Vita (To Happy Life).

Though set to voices, the Italian balletto was designed to be danced to at either courtly ceremonies or theatrical entertainments; hence, its bright and playful rhythmic qualities. It is unclear whether the English adaptations were also meant for choreographic use. Nevertheless, they retain the flavor of their Italian prototypes.

The "fa-la-la" refrains are typical of the form -- inviting imagination -- as are the homophonic settings; the repeating stanzas, strophically set to music; and the lighthearted nature of the text.

S: Sara Botkin, Cynthia Shaw
S: Grace Check, Melissa Raymond
A: Ariane Reinhart
T: Thom Baker, Marcos Vigil
B: Steve Friedman, Gregg Lauterbach, Mark Sullivan

Performance recorded May 2000

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Reminds me of this commercial

About the only time I can hear a Christmas tune and laugh instead of gritting my teeth and yelling out "CRAP!"

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

You know it's bad when even the mere mention of the name of the song gets it stuck in your head.  And not just a little bit, it's the whole damn song.

/me continues working on her time machine and a flaming bag of dog poop.

Can I pre-order a "flaming bag of dog poop" before the Christmas Rush? I have "Special" people to get gifts for still :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.