Just to clarify.......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Just for the record. I find the way that Trinity talks and types delightful! I have never had any problem understanding her.

Peace!

Strike that from the record!

Obiter Dicta: You can not insist that you understand her; you can only state that you believe you understand her. Which probably says as much about you as it does about her.

The Judge

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Just for the record. I find the way that Trinity talks and types delightful! I have never had any problem understanding her.

Peace!

For the record, her one post to me was confusing as hell.  She prattled on about stuff like people not knowing her in RL, more about her RL, and references to things that made no sense.    I did have a problem understanding her!  

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Peace!

Also, Hippie you should know that M-l--- dislikes people popping into a thread just to make a comment about one person.  She thinks it means there are "cliques" and that people have been contacted to rally support for their "friends".  I know I got accused of that, so you might too. 

(Oh, wait, no you won't, as you're rallying support, for someone she likes!  Never mind, you'll get a pass)

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote: Just for the record. I find the way that Trinity talks and types delightful! I have never had any problem understanding her.

Peace!

For the record, her one post to me was confusing as hell.  She prattled on about stuff like people not knowing her in RL, more about her RL, and references to things that made no sense.    I
did
have a problem understanding her!   

I read that post and it was good enough for me to understand. Also, it didn't contain any "prattling on" whatsoever. The RL references were a direct reply to someone. Trinity's idea of seeing how those who criticise her English manage to write posts in what is to them is a foreign language, is one that shows the critics up for what they are.

Perhaps the critics ought to find a forum specifically for English speakers instead of this one which is for everyone.

I'm thinking that perhaps those who criticise another person's English are those who aren't top notch at it themselves, even though it's their native language, and they delight in picking on anyone whose English is worse than their own; i.e. it probably makes them feel superior. It's just a thought.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote: Just for the record. I find the way that Trinity talks and types delightful! I have never had any problem understanding her.

Peace!

For the record, her one post to me was confusing as hell.  She prattled on about stuff like people not knowing her in RL, more about her RL, and references to things that made no sense.    I
did

I
Read that post and it was good enough for me to understand.
Also, it didn't contain any "prattling on" whatsoever. The RL references were a direct reply to someone.
Trinity's idea of seeing how those who criticism her English manage to write posts in what is to them a foreign language, is one that shows the critics up for what they are.

Perhaps the critics ought to find a forum specifically for English speakers instead of this one which is for everyone.

I'm thinking that perhaps those who criticism another person's English are those who aren't top notch at it themselves, even though it's their native language, and they delight in picking on anyone whose English is worse than their own; i.e..
It probably makes them feel superior.

Taken from wiki: 

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. David Dunning and Justine Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".

PS This is an English forum.  Trinity's English writing was not criticized, her comprehension was and still is called into question.   Her initial post to me was a troll, an incomprehensible troll at that.  When called on her rant/troll she cried to the forum posters for support.  "Everyone is picking on me!" 

@ Hippie, I am so glad you think you understand her.  I honestly think she understands you, too.  After all, what is not to understand in your posts. Re: the one word meme.   It is the more complex posts that I think she has much difficulty grasping.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

PS This is an English forum.  Trinity's English writing was not criticized, her comprehension was and still is called into question.   Her initial post to me was a troll, an incomprehensible troll at that.

This is a general language sub-forum. Unlike other sub-forums that are stated to be for particular languages, this one isn't stated to be for any particular language. If anyone doesn't like it this way, they are free to find an English-specific sub-forum.

Posts are not forum trolls. People are forum trolls. So Trinity's post to you was not a troll. And, in case you correct what you wrote, Trinity is not a troll either, and no right-thinking person will say that she is.

I didn't deny it. I went to get ready to go out and, while I was doing that, I thought that "any right-thinking person" would be better, so I changed it. I'll change it back, or even add it, if you like. I don't mind. I do see a nest of you. I said that earlier in this thread, because I wasn't previously aware of it.

ETA: Correction: I started to become aware of it during the previous thread when someone told that he was drumming up support in his feed, and, sure enough, a couple of people suddenly popped in out of the blue to support him, even though the support was wasted. But this thread clarified it for me.

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Peace!

did

you maybe didnt understood my post, but i think you could understand Storm post pretty well eh ? so since you said you have read the whole thread, and since you said this :

But, I think we also both agree that we know a "hurtful" or "belittling" comment when we see it.  

I was just asking why you seem so tricky with some posts and not with some others... Storm 's post was a perfect exemple of hurtful and belitling comment. 

But yeah... so much interesting to talk about something you dont understand (my english) rather being fair. 

Phil Deakins wrote:

Peace!

did

I read that post and it was good enough for me to understand. Also, it didn't contain any "prattling on" whatsoever. The RL references were a direct reply to someone. Trinity's idea of seeing how those who criticise her English manage to write posts in what is to them is a foreign language, is one that shows the critics up for what they are.

Sure she did. (prattle on) Here it is:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

well its then probable you missed out Storm's answer to me, or Ohhnoes one ..

you know... when Storm seems to know me so well in rl that he has a good knowledge of my relation with art and theater and then can judge me... when he also seem to know better than me who i have to have as friend and what comments to have to make on the feeds.... because, yeah, saying goodmorning everyday is so boring eh ? in my world its just politeness, education and showing friends we care them.

And you seems to miss out also the harrassment some ppl do on me because they know im not native english speakers (like they do also on other non native english speakers i know here in this forum).

Isnt that intended to be "hurful" and "belitling" ? 

Shame you missed those ones. 

She assumed I knew what the hell she was talking.  You say, "The RL references were a direct reply to someone"...uh..and she felt the need to say that to me?  Even though I have no idea what she's going on about?

She felt the need to say "shame you"?  For what?   That I ignored Storm's post?  (I ignore his posts as I try to follow my own advice about ignoring!  lol)

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm thinking that perhaps those who criticise another person's English are those who aren't top notch at it themselves, even though it's their native language,
 and they delight in picking on anyone whose English is worse than their own; i.e. it probably makes them feel superior. It's just a thought.

Ah, so now you're a critic.  (I aknowledge my writing skills are dismal and that English is my native language, so was that a jab at me?  For language skills?    Or, are you still making jabs at the troll?)

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Peace!

did

you maybe didnt understood my post, but i think you could understand Storm post pretty well eh ? so since you said you have read the whole thread, and since you said this :

But, I think we also both agree that we know a "hurtful" or "belittling" comment when we see it.  

I was just asking why you seem so tricky with some posts and not with some others... Storm 's post was a perfect exemple of hurtful and belitling comment. 

But yeah... so much interesting to talk about something you dont understand (my english) rather being fair. 

I ignore certain posts.  I do so by choice.  To aknowledge the poster gives them power Trinity.  It's only by ignoring that one can take away their power.   (Hence some posts are deliberately ignored)

You clearly wanted someone (me?) to rally to your aid when you felt insulted.  Yet, when your friend was insulting people, were you rallying to the aid of those people?  (See how it works?)

Also, I haven't talked about your "English", I talked about your post to me.  Which was confusing.  Your English is quite good.  Your logic is not.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Peace!

did

I'm thinking that perhaps those who criticise another person's English are those who aren't top notch at it themselves, even though it's their native language, and they delight in picking on anyone whose English is worse than their own; i.e. it probably makes them feel superior. It's just a thought.

na.... its just an excuse for not answer to my arguments.... some do this, or other plays the fool.. its a common method for ppl who dont have much interesting things to say. 

whatever they may think about my english, its the only one i have and 99,9 % of the ppl i talk with are fine with it.. so maybe its a problem on their side...

I dont mind... but it wont empeach me to talk... This method remind me some other putrid ones... you know.. in some countries... they even cut the tongue to some prisonners just bec they dont accept this person think different than the governement and want to express their opinion... 

So well, i think till now, LL respect our feedom of think and speech.. so i dont think it will be a problem for me to keep expressing my opinions.. as far as i know, i always try to keep being polite and civilized... 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Peace!

did

I ignore certain posts.  I do so by choice.  To aknowledge the poster gives them power Trinity.  It's only by ignoring that one can take away their power.   (Hence some posts are deliberately ignored)

You clearly wanted someone (me?) to rally to your aid when you felt insulted.  Yet, when your friend was insulting people, were you rallying to the aid of those people?  (See how it works?)

Also, I haven't talked about your "English", I talked about your post to me.  Which was confusing.  Your English is quite good.  Your logic is not.

While i may perfectly understand why you ignore some posts, i still dont understand how you can claim you've read the whole thread in one of your posts and then, in another of your posts, say you can recognize hurtful and belitling posts. I think you should have made a clarification about the fact you select the hurtful and belitling posts you jump on as a Robin Hood. That would have been more fair and probably, then, would have added more credibility to your answers to Malanya. 

i was not expecting any help from you Celestial.. i ve never begged any help... I even dont think i need help here... since the only answers i get to my arguments is attacks on my english or my rl relation about arts those answers are nothing and doesnt bring any contradictions to me.

and the "shame you missed those ones " was a whole sentence .. not "shame you... missed those ones".. maybe i missed a "," , i agree.. or maybe i should have used "pity" instead of shame...i can admit this. indeed.  

Czari Zenovka wrote:

steph Arnott wrote:

How many alt's have you got?

I've wondered that myself but he's apparently now run out of alts with legacy surnames.

They are only alts, imo, if they are in-world.  On the forum they are considered memes.  Whether it is one operator or many no one really knows.  However, each meme is carried out flawlessly, or as flawlessly as possible.  Again, imo, absolutely fantastic stuff.  I look forward to reading every time I log to the forum. 

steph Arnott wrote:

How many alt's have you got?

On the charge of discussing alts in the forum, an indiscretion that has been specifically stated is considered as a breach of the ToS by previous Community Managers, and is punishable by disciplinary action: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: I am a single and a singular forum personality; I have no alts; I have no need of alts; alts are for those who wish to cheat on their virtual partners or who wish to support their own nonsensical views.

On the charge of insertion of a superfluous (grocer's) apostrophe: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: Ignorance compounded by laziness, as described previously.

The Judge

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm thinking that perhaps those who criticise another person's English are those who aren't top notch at it themselves, even though it's their native language, and they delight in picking on anyone whose English is worse than their own; i.e. it probably makes them feel superior.

On the charge of not terminating the sentence after two words, thereby giving everyone a good laugh: GUILTY

On the charge of confused thinking regarding the suggestion that those who criticise another person's English are not competent in the language, which might be imputed to mean myself, which would be a contempt of court, as well as perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever written: GUILTY

On the charge of incorrectly suggesting that it might make such persons feel superior: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: It does not make one feel superior; one simply is superior.

The Judge

Phil Deakins wrote:

he was drumming up support in his feed

On  the charge of malevolently, or perhaps merely incompetently, restating provable historical facts: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: The antagonist actually invited anybody who might be able to support Phil's false memories to post; nobody did, because Phil had fabricated those memories, as was confirmed by several of those who were around at the time, including one particular individual who was engaged at the time in a running war with Pep, and had in fact posted memorably, and with some relevance to this thread, a post consisting solely of 38 repetitions of the word "TROLL".

The Judge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.